Menopause and Weight

Options
I know that many of you are dealing with the issue of menopause and I want to tell you that YOU ARE NOT CRAZY, THIS IS A REAL MEDICAL ISSUE. I will tell you my story so you will see that others are/have suffered like you and warn any men who feel the need to chime in that they may be chewed to pieces (no don't talk about anything, especially medical issues, that you have NO IDEA ABOUT.

* Mid 30's - glass shard feeling pain during sex
* Later 30's - Light periods
* By 40 - period began being missed
* Within a year, no periods
* Within another year, major hot flashed started (TOTAL MELT DOWNS); sleeping in 60 degree A/C in winter.
if you do not know what a hot flash is: it feels like your body has been set on fire!
* By 43 body freaking out & every nerve cell in my body was going crazy or dying
* Doctor sought at that point, and after blood work, told I was in full blown menopause (SHOCKED)
* Prescribed HRT meds to relieve/ease the symptoms (worked well).
* Took HRT meds for another year but had to quit due to no job and no insurance. Could no afford.
* After two years of suffering everyday, symptoms began to ease slightly.

~ During time of above, major body changes. Went from 115 lbs. of normal weight to gaining 5 - 7 lbs per year for no reason.
~ Since menopause and weight gain of above: Feet and knee pain/burning. Too much weight for my small frame. Normal body frame weight: 115 lbs. 170 lbs. on a 5' 1" frame is deadly.

~ Body shape now, from weight gain - risk of heart disease
~ Early menopause - risk for heart disease
~ Hormone Replacement Therapy - risk for heart disease
~ Never having children - risk for heart disease
~ High blood pressure from weight gain, risk for heart disease

** Issues from menopause: memory loss, CHANGE OF MOOD, HOT FLASHES, loss of memory/forgetfulness, fatigue, lack of sleep, depression, zero desire to have sex, zero desire to do anything, high blood pressure, excess weight causing muscle and joint pain.

YOU ARE NOT ALONE! Can anyone relate?

Replies

• indisguise
    indisguise Posts: 235
    Options
    Yup. I can relate. I had a hysterectomy when I was 39 and my body went right to hell shortly after that.
  • wknmom
    wknmom Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I absolutely can relate. I have been in menopause since having my hysterectomy - and it has really affected my body. I don't know if it is the menopause that is a barrier to my losing weight, or the HRT that I am taking. In any case, I am exercising and eating right, and really struggling with losing weight. I was doing OK, but then had some tough emotional stuff to deal with this winter (death of a close family member) and I just didn't pay attention to what I was eating. I gained weight back that I had lost two years ago, and now I just can't seem to get it off. I lose about quarter of a pound a week!!! I guess that is better than gaining, but it is REALLY discouraging. And you know the cycle with discouragement - you stop paying attention and say 'to hell with it' and have a bag of chips.
  • puppyface
    puppyface Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am the 1st woman in 4 generations to hit 40 and still have all my girl parts. My mom, grandma & great grandma all had hysterectomies in their early to mid-30s. I only had a few female issues but at the age of 45, I had cancer. (I am now 48) Because I had an aggressive blood based cancer (Lymphoma) they had to give me some heavy duty chemo. The chemo killed my ovaries throwing me into full blown menopause. :grumble:

I have horrific hot flashes, night sweats and mood swings. They can’t give me any hormone replacement due to it causes cancer and I am still in my 5 year window where the cancer can come back. I gained all the weight I ever lost in my life time back all to my belly. People look at me weird when I tell them I just battled cancer because I am a fat cancer survivor. :blushing:

I have tried everything to help with the menopause symptoms but nothing works or it will work for a week or two. Because of my family history they don’t know how long the symptoms will last and what they can do to help.

I have taken/tried every over the counter, herb, food source, etc… to get relief and nothing helps.

So yes I’m not crazy it is the fact that my body seems like it hates me. :explode:
  • jacquij
    jacquij Posts: 2
    Options
    hi there, i too can relate, had hysterectomy 5 years ago- still having hot flushes now! just starting again to lose weight after a long period of gradually getting heavier. ive got high cholestrol and agreed with doc to try to lose weight before going on statins so I'm feeling really motivated to buck the trend this time!
  • jacquij
    jacquij Posts: 2
    Options
    hi there, i too can relate, had hysterectomy 5 years ago- still having hot flushes now! just starting again to lose weight after a long period of gradually getting heavier. ive got high cholestrol and agreed with doc to try to lose weight before going on statins so I'm feeling really motivated to buck the trend this time!