1200 calores?

My nutionist put me on a 1200 calorie liimit. Im 5ft 1 and a half and im 188.8 pounds. Is that right?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    IMHO...no.

Was it a nutrionist? or a registered Dietician. You can become a nutrionist from an online course that takes 3months is why I ask...

At your age, height and weight plugging those into calculators it puts your TDEE at appx 1900 a day...TDEE-20% puts you at 1400.

That is without exercise...if you exercise that numbers goes up...or you can eat back those calories.
  • registered Dietician
  • sevPOOTS
    sevPOOTS Posts: 6
    I'm 5'6", 80 Kilos and I should eat 1200 calories a day to lose 1kilo per week ar max. :D It's doable but i sometimes feel hunrgy at night. (I'm training for my job)
  • 37lbs_to_go
    37lbs_to_go Posts: 61 Member
    I'm 5'4", 160lbs and MFP gives me 1250 cals/day (deficit of 730). I have it set at light activity and 1.5 lbs a week loss. I've been losing 2-3 lbs/week so I'll probably change my activity to "active". I was being pretty conservative when I chose "light".
  • SezxyStef
    registered Dietician

It depends on how much you want to lose...your ticker says 13lbs...so 1200 is way too agressive.

If you want to lose 50...TDEE-20% is good

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

I do not believe that 1200 is appropriate for very many people...you have to choose very carefully what you eat to get in all your macros and micro nutrients...and if you are hungry then exercise gives you more calories to eat...
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    You should question this with the dietitian and find out the reason for the low amount of calories.
  • SezxyStef
    You should question this with the dietitian and find out the reason for the low amount of calories.

I agree with this as well...it just seems very very low...
  • NatLiving
    NatLiving Posts: 10 Member
    In Canada, you need this.. I am not sure where you are located, but it's not a 3 week course. Hopefully yours has an education like this!

http://www.dietitians.ca/Career/Education.aspx
  • Boobookittyfq
    Boobookittyfq Posts: 454 Member
    1200 cal is doable its called working out to eat more through the day.. try to have your biggest meal in the morning and then smaller meals u can have 200/300 cal through out the day also depends how much u are wanting to lose and how fast. Its hard at first but after 2 weeks your body will start to adjust dont starve ur self u can always have salads with out dressing ... add herbs with light olive oil or coconut oil mix in with lime or lemon
  • justin37013
    justin37013 Posts: 6 Member
    try to have your biggest meal in the morning
    This is terrible advice... it makes zero difference so eat your calories when you want. The diet you can adhere to the easiest is the best.

1200 is a good general number for a dietitian to give a person who is 188lbs and isn't overly concerned about losing some muscle along with fat. In addition, creating a buffer since a lot of people will under estimate their calories or occasionally binge isn't a bad practice. Basically, give them 1200 knowing that they will average around 1400 in reality.

If you are an individual who can accurately track calories and not binge to the point where you're going over your TDEE by a significant amount then you can definitely eat a little more and be fine.
  • I just upped t to 1360 a day. im home and I dont get out much.
  • Boobookittyfq
    Boobookittyfq Posts: 454 Member
    Pfffff ... Lmao yea I just lift a lot ..
  • I can function on 1500 and im 5'10 220 i was 205 till i fell off the bus. Started at 275 lbs.. I lost 70 lbs in 4 months and gained 15 back in a month and half.. Not good.. Back on now and planning 1800 this go around with moderate workouts 5 days a week 5 miles riding bike to and from the gym. Not saying my way is the rite way but if you want results you have to push yourself. I was losing on average around 4lbs a week had few weeks i lost upwards of 9lbs. but i was riding mountain bike 18 miles a day doing T25 and going to the gym. and eating very clean..But i am the type that wants to see results now not later.. Sorry i cant be much help. And in no way am i telling you to do what i did. I did loose muscle doing this but didn't care and it was expected..