Sweets in the Office

Options
I've been having a real issue with eating sweets and candy in the office. I work a 9-5 job so I'm sitting for most of the day. I bring pretty healthy lunches and make sure that I have a snack for the afternoon (baked veggies, an apple, a cheese stick, etc).

One of my coworkers keeps on bringing sweets to the office for everyone. This is fine, I won't go out of the way to get some and bring it back to my desk to eat. Unfortunately, he'll bring them over to my desk. I'll come in at 9 am and have a small pack of gummies on my desk or around 3 pm he'll stop by with two small hershey chocolate nugget for me. Before I started counting again, I'd happily eat them and even go back for more so I can understand him thinking that I'm fine with this. But I need to figure out how to politely say no thank you because I don't have enough self control to not eat it once it's right in front of me.

Does anyone else have issues with people bringing in sabotage food for them?

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    No...I just say "No Thank You"

Those three words can be quite powerful.
  • spara0038
    spara0038 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I also work in an office, 6am til 5pm most days and sometimes our vendors bring in donuts. Usually I just smile and say "no thanks, I'm good" and that's enough. Say that enough days in a row and they'll stop offering.
  • Erica6130
    Erica6130 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've been having a real issue with eating sweets and candy in the office. I work a 9-5 job so I'm sitting for most of the day. I bring pretty healthy lunches and make sure that I have a snack for the afternoon (baked veggies, an apple, a cheese stick, etc).

One of my coworkers keeps on bringing sweets to the office for everyone. This is fine, I won't go out of the way to get some and bring it back to my desk to eat. Unfortunately, he'll bring them over to my desk. I'll come in at 9 am and have a small pack of gummies on my desk or around 3 pm he'll stop by with two small hershey chocolate nugget for me. Before I started counting again, I'd happily eat them and even go back for more so I can understand him thinking that I'm fine with this. But I need to figure out how to politely say no thank you because I don't have enough self control to not eat it once it's right in front of me.

I follow #iifym, so if I do come across a situation like this, I just log it and then plan the rest of my meals around it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I need to figure out how to politely say no thank you

Just say "no thank you"...or "no thanks, I'm good"...that is how you politely say, "no thank you."
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 785 Member
    Options

I follow #iifym, so if I do come across a situation like this, I just log it and then plan the rest of my meals around it.

^^^ YES
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Haha, I'm often the one sabotaging. I make a batch of brownies the night before, have one, and then bring it to the office for others to enjoy so I don't eat it all.

The folks that are watching their diet just don't grab one if they don't want it. Other folks will say "Hey, Holly brought in brownies! Better get one before they're gone!" If somebody does that to you, just wait an hour to get up and get one. If by then you still want one, they're probably all gone by that point anyway.
  • shrinkingshreya
    shrinkingshreya Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Most people who work in an office have this issue. The only thing that can solve it is self control and consistency-- say no thank you in a polite manner and remember why you said no.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    No...I just say "No Thank You"

Those three words can be quite powerful.
    This. Our office has sweets and I chose to ignore them because work is stressful and that's the only reason I'd eat them.
  • QueenOSpades
    QueenOSpades Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    If they are super persistent and you feel really bad saying "no thank you", you could always just say "I'll have it later" and then give it to another co-worker or someone else.
  • Samby_v1
    Samby_v1 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Just tell the person you have a gluten allergy and then proceed to drone on about it everytime. Eventually no one will bring you anything. It doesn't even matter if what they bring you has gluten in it or not!

^This or diabetes.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Just tell the person you have a gluten allergy and then proceed to drone on about it everytime. Eventually no one will bring you anything. It doesn't even matter if what they bring you has gluten in it or not!

Until you go out for lunch someday and order a sandwich and they look at you like you're going to keel over until they realize you've been lying to them all this time.

Maybe just tell the truth...
  • monasspam
    monasspam Posts: 5
    Options
    You could simply say "No, Thank you" depending on the relationship you have with them. However, I understand that it's uncomfortable saying it depending on who the person is, or impossible if you aren't at your desk when he/she makes the drop. You can turn it down in jest by jokingly yelling at them for sabotoging your diet, or reminding them that it's swimsuit season. You can also be blatently honest by telling them you can't resist the lovely treats they bring in and you'd appreciate it if they helped keep the junk food away.

Hope this helps!
  • Menix8
    Menix8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    When I first got started and had trouble "just saying no" to the office crowd, I'd bring in back-up snacks to munch on instead. So when they come over to my desk with a pile of birthday cupcakes, I could pull out my bag of baby carrots and say, "No thanks, I'm good!"
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    What a jerk. I would report it to Human Resources as a "hostile working environment". How dare he? Doesn't he know you're dieting and he should just keep his candies and sweets to himself and just suffer. Just walk over to his desk and fling them in his face. It's your world, baby. he's just in it.
  • agape_logos
    Options
    : (
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Until you go out for lunch someday and order a sandwich and they look at you like you're going to keel over until they realize you've been lying to them all this time.

Maybe just tell the truth...

Bahahaha, I would totally be that person calling out their lies!
  • jmdesrochers
    jmdesrochers Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Sometimes a "no thank you" isn't enough, especially for home-made treat pushers...I just accept the gift, say 'thank you" and chuck in the garbage as soon as they are gone. Of course later I tell them how delish everything was =)
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    This happens constantly in my office. If someone offers something to me directly, I make a small joke like "Thanks, they look great but cupcakes give me a muffin top," or just say "No thanks, I've gotta make sure my pants button," or something similar that doesn't leave room for disagreement. No one really cares about what someone else eats enough to push the issue. If someone is persistent, I go with "Okay, can I take a piece home to share with [my boyfriend]? It looks great but I don't have a big sweet tooth." I take it home and give it to someone who'll enjoy it at my house.

Just be firm about it. No one wants to start an argument, in my experience. As for the guy who leaves stuff, I'd probably just stop by his desk and say "Hey, you are so thoughtful with the treats but I have to admit they're kinda bad temptation for me on my diet. Could you help my willpower out and skip me? It's seriously so nice of you but I feel so bad that I can't eat them." I don't know how cordial you two are but I find that complimenting someone a bit before I ask them something is usually helpful with co-workers as long as it's sincere. And it IS nice of the guy to do.