Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Going backwards ???

2»

Replies

• LunaStar2008
    LunaStar2008 Posts: 155 Member
    Never said, that I am proud of using all these supplemets. Even mentioned that I don't have a great "relationship" with my weight at this point, since my job depends on it. So, unless I want to get unemployed I got to do what I got to do.

I was asked what I was doing, since I mentioned earlier I am taking drastic steps (which I didn't said or support it is the right thing to boost weight loss).

So, please when you make that comment that I am "proud" of what I do, or even imply to follow it, read the full threat. In no way I am telling any one to do the same. There are so many "recepies" for fast weight loss in the military which are much unhealthier and people have died from it, but it is sometimes the desperation to just keep the job.

The threat contains some very great advice in here from others and I agree that MFP estemates burned calories much higher as they probably are.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Never said, that I am proud of using all these supplemets. Even mentioned that I don't have a great "relationship" with my weight at this point, since my job depends on it. So, unless I want to get unemployed I got to do what I got to do.

I was asked what I was doing, since I mentioned earlier I am taking drastic steps (which I didn't said or support it is the right thing to boost weight loss).

So, please when you make that comment that I am "proud" of what I do, or even imply to follow it, read the full threat. In no way I am telling any one to do the same. There are so many "recepies" for fast weight loss in the military which are much unhealthier and people have died from it, but it is sometimes the desperation to just keep the job.

The threat contains some very great advice in here from others and I agree that MFP estemates burned calories much higher as they probably are.

I was in the Military too...there is no reason what so ever to use drastic steps even then. PT is a regular part of the day.

It's called a calorie deficit. Or finding maitenance calories to maintain the weight....logging accurately and consistently.

If at my age after being overweight since I left the military (on my own terms) and can lose it anyone can.

ETA: in a healthy manner.
  • raj2208
    raj2208 Posts: 26
    Thanks for all that - yes I do log honestly with my "treats" (the biscuit/chocolate in snack field) - but I do take calories from the exercise machines at the gym and just what it says on here.

I have been eating back my exercise calories, but am going to stop doing that, and stick to the 1200 calories per day regardless of exercise. I'm even thinking maybe not logging the exercise may help me with that ??

I don't weigh/measure all my food - I estimate, but I estimate over what I think it would be, just in case.

The frustrating thing was I went off MFP for a couple of months to see how I went, when I weighed myself I almost fell off the scales LOL as was up to what I was pre-MFP! After 5 weeks of sticking at goal (mind you eating exercise calories), and after completing each entry the "this is what you would be if every day was like this after 5 weeks..." was saying 63'ish kg every day, and not losing A THING after five weeks, feeling very very frustrated !! :(

I have been upping the exercise/weights lately and been muscle sore so the water retention thing might be playing a part ? Feeling generally a bit bloated around my tummy but I do suffer from that in general.

After day one of sticking to 1200 calories and no sugar, gone down by 700g so will stick with this and see what happens !!

Appreciate all your advice thank you :)

It may seem silly worrying about the last few kg but it's frustrating not being able to fit into clothes !! LOL even though hubby prefers me with a bit more meat ha ha ha
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    I don't weigh/measure all my food - I estimate, but I estimate over what I think it would be, just in case.

What's the point of even logging then, and calorie counting, if you don't weight/measure all your food and are just estimating?
  • raj2208

What's the point of even logging then, and calorie counting, if you don't weight/measure all your food and are just estimating?
  • raj2208

What's the point of logging ? Well as I mentioned, I DID lose 7kg originally by doing it this way, getting 3kg below my original goal weight - so it DOES work - I have done a body sculpting competition many years ago and did the hardcore diet then measuring and weighing everything as I had to be on stage at 10% body fat - I'm not on stage now, I just want to lose a few kg's so really, approximating what I eat is OK I think ! I enter in all my recipes from recipe books (as I only cook meals from recipe books for dinner), I have the same 2-3 things for breakfast/lunch, so it's not like I don't know how much I have.

If I'm out by 50 calories per day then oh well ?!

To be honest with two little boys, working pretty much full time, exercising most days, training for a half marathon, and a hubby on shiftwork - don't have time to weigh/measure everything that passes my lips !!!
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    I just peeped your profile. What?! You're an expert at this. You should be giving advice, not asking for it. ;) If you got down to 10% BF before, then you know how to lose.
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Thanks for all that - yes I do log honestly with my "treats" (the biscuit/chocolate in snack field) - but I do take calories from the exercise machines at the gym and just what it says on here.

I have been eating back my exercise calories, but am going to stop doing that, and stick to the 1200 calories per day regardless of exercise. I'm even thinking maybe not logging the exercise may help me with that ??

The frustrating thing was I went off MFP for a couple of months to see how I went, when I weighed myself I almost fell off the scales LOL as was up to what I was pre-MFP! After 5 weeks of sticking at goal (mind you eating exercise calories), and after completing each entry the "this is what you would be if every day was like this after 5 weeks..." was saying 63'ish kg every day, and not losing A THING after five weeks, feeling very very frustrated !! :(

I have been upping the exercise/weights lately and been muscle sore so the water retention thing might be playing a part ? Feeling generally a bit bloated around my tummy but I do suffer from that in general.

After day one of sticking to 1200 calories and no sugar, gone down by 700g so will stick with this and see what happens !!

Appreciate all your advice thank you :)

It may seem silly worrying about the last few kg but it's frustrating not being able to fit into clothes !! LOL even though hubby prefers me with a bit more meat ha ha ha

Instead of just stopping eating your exercise calories all together I'd suggest eat back 50% - 75% of what the machine or MFP estimates. Often those estimates are high but you do need some fuel for your exercise.
  • Sf0rza
    Sf0rza Posts: 18 Member
    I think your logging is most likely off - some of those numbers look a bit hopeful. The counts for the fennel pasta dish look very low for example, unless it's a ready meal. I've just experienced this myself - totally stopped losing and really it's down to some relaxed counting.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member

What's the point of logging ? Well as I mentioned, I DID lose 7kg originally by doing it this way, getting 3kg below my original goal weight - so it DOES work - I have done a body sculpting competition many years ago and did the hardcore diet then measuring and weighing everything as I had to be on stage at 10% body fat - I'm not on stage now, I just want to lose a few kg's so really, approximating what I eat is OK I think ! I enter in all my recipes from recipe books (as I only cook meals from recipe books for dinner), I have the same 2-3 things for breakfast/lunch, so it's not like I don't know how much I have.

If I'm out by 50 calories per day then oh well ?!

To be honest with two little boys, working pretty much full time, exercising most days, training for a half marathon, and a hubby on shiftwork - don't have time to weigh/measure everything that passes my lips !!!

Do you use the phone app? Since I'm with my phone all the time, it takes very little time definitely less than ten or even five minutes a day to log. Even when I'm super tired I can do it while laying in bed. You can scan foods in easily, copy them from one day to the next if you really do eat the same things all the time, use the recipe function etc etc. It just seems like conflicting info I mean are you logging or not
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    The last bit of weight is frustrating because you have a smaller margin of error since your deficit is smaller. I agree with eating back 50% of your exercise calories. That gives you some room if you are not 100% accurate on your logging. At 1200 calories you should be eating at least some back or your deficit will be too low and easing into maintenance might be more difficult.
  • Thunderfan66
    Thunderfan66 Posts: 105 Member
    Sooo..I've been doing MFP for almost 3 years now, I LOVE exercising, I run (7-9km), do weights and cardio at the gym, I have a cross-trainer at home plus I go on big walks with our german shepherd. I originally got down from 68kg to 61.5kg in the first year (took 6 weeks for the weight loss to START, and I had just about given up when all of a sudden it happened!).

I put heaps of friends onto it as it was just so EASY and some days I would go over, some days under, but in the end it all balanced out and was working FANTASTICALLY !!!!!

I did go up and down a bit, I looked a bit too lean at 61.5kg so was happy at 62.5, went up to around 64kg, then all of a sudden I'm up to 66.8kg and NOTHING I do is helping !!! :(

I'm 37 in August, I do feel that since I turned 35 it has gotten a lot harder - does anyone else have the same problem ??? It's frustrating as I can't fit any of my jeans from last year !!! waaaaaaaaa LOL.....

This is almost me exactly! I've never done the body building thing, but about 3 years ago I got down to 61.5kg, which is my lowest weight ever. It seemed quite easy and when I look back at the food diary I kept then, I was eating HEAPS (probably more than now). I too looked a bit too skinny at 61.5kg - I'd be happy at 63-64kg. But now got up to 67.5kg and nothing I do gets it off! I exercise everyday, do cardio, weights, dance, running,yoga - so heaps of variety. I'm turning 37 this year too and it is so hard now, nothing I do will get this pesky 3-4 kg off!!!!
  • raj2208
    I just peeped your profile. What?! You're an expert at this. You should be giving advice, not asking for it. ;) If you got down to 10% BF before, then you know how to lose.

yeah..that was 10yrs ago! I was 25yrs old, in a bad relationship so being so controlled with my diet was OK as it gave me some control in my life ...living on protein powder/shakes/tuna/rolled oats/steamed fish/chicken and steamed veges for 8 months....I just can't do that now - can't afford all the protein shakes/bars (plus I'd rather get my protein from proper food), plus I was on pseudoephedrine or whatever it's called, major fat burning pills, .....things are very different now and I don't want to do that sort of eating again as I LOVE food and got no enjoyment out of that bland food...just feeling frustrated as I did it before and got down past my goal weight, I look back at my food diary and was eating a lot more than I do now !! Don't know why my body won't drop fat ?! - 5 weeks back on it and NOTHING - am confused!
  • raj2208
    Sooo..I've been doing MFP for almost 3 years now, I LOVE exercising, I run (7-9km), do weights and cardio at the gym, I have a cross-trainer at home plus I go on big walks with our german shepherd. I originally got down from 68kg to 61.5kg in the first year (took 6 weeks for the weight loss to START, and I had just about given up when all of a sudden it happened!).

I put heaps of friends onto it as it was just so EASY and some days I would go over, some days under, but in the end it all balanced out and was working FANTASTICALLY !!!!!

I did go up and down a bit, I looked a bit too lean at 61.5kg so was happy at 62.5, went up to around 64kg, then all of a sudden I'm up to 66.8kg and NOTHING I do is helping !!! :(

I'm 37 in August, I do feel that since I turned 35 it has gotten a lot harder - does anyone else have the same problem ??? It's frustrating as I can't fit any of my jeans from last year !!! waaaaaaaaa LOL.....

This is almost me exactly! I've never done the body building thing, but about 3 years ago I got down to 61.5kg, which is my lowest weight ever. It seemed quite easy and when I look back at the food diary I kept then, I was eating HEAPS (probably more than now). I too looked a bit too skinny at 61.5kg - I'd be happy at 63-64kg. But now got up to 67.5kg and nothing I do gets it off! I exercise everyday, do cardio, weights, dance, running,yoga - so heaps of variety. I'm turning 37 this year too and it is so hard now, nothing I do will get this pesky 3-4 kg off!!!!

Yeah that does sound exactly like me!! I also looked back on my food diary when I was down at 61-62kg and was eating way more !! chocolate every day !! around 1500-1600 cal !! (eating back exercise cals), I also prefer being around the 62.5-64kg mark but for some reason NOTHING is happening now ??? It's like my body is fighting the fat loss ? A few days ago after my first day of no sugar (treats - biscuits/chocolate etc) and sticking to 1200 cal (not eating exercise cals) I dropped 700gm, then after 2/3 more days of being really damned good, that 700g has gone back on again !!?? WTF ?!?!??! :sad:

A friend is reading books by this Dr who says how your hormone levels/thyroid function etc is all related to how your body loses weight etc, but I mean if we did it not long ago why suddenly is it not working now ?? I just don't get it eh - we're both very physical obviously - I am rather short at 5ft 4 so every kg shows !! :blushing:
  • Dr__Girlfriend
    Dr__Girlfriend Posts: 100 Member
    I don't think you're eating enough. 1050 calories a day? With exercise? If you've been doing that for 8 months it's very likely your metabolism has adapted trying to keep you alive - Adaptive thermogenesis. Speaking from experience, undereating made my resting metabolic rate drop to 400 calories per day. It took a long time to fix the damage I did to my metabolism. Don't be like me.

Here's why exercising more and eating less is a bad combination for stubborn body fat;
    http://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/how-to-burn-stubborn-body-fat

Re-calculate your macros here -
    (it automatically takes your fitness/workout amounts into consideration)

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

You want to cut at 10-20% of your TDEE. It will calculate these numbers for you.
  • raj2208
    I don't think you're eating enough. 1050 calories a day? With exercise? If you've been doing that for 8 months it's very likely your metabolism has adapted trying to keep you alive - Adaptive thermogenesis. Speaking from experience, undereating made my resting metabolic rate drop to 400 calories per day. It took a long time to fix the damage I did to my metabolism. Don't be like me.

Here's why exercising more and eating less is a bad combination for stubborn body fat;
    http://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/how-to-burn-stubborn-body-fat

Re-calculate your macros here -
    (it automatically takes your fitness/workout amounts into consideration)

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

You want to cut at 10-20% of your TDEE. It will calculate these numbers for you.

hey there :) I will check those links out - thanks!
    I haven't been doing that for 8 months...I have been previously eating all my exercise calories, so around 1500-1600 cal per day, I went off MFP for 2 months as had been logging every single day for 3-4 years and just thought I'd be OK without logging as I thought I knew by then what the daily intake was - but when I weighed myself when I stopped fitting my clothes LOL I was up by 3kg...I've only dropped to 1200 cal per day and not eating exercise calories for the past few days, to see if it would make any difference, as I've been sticking to it for 5 weeks (eating exercise calories) and not shifting anything :sad:
  • Dr__Girlfriend
    Dr__Girlfriend Posts: 100 Member

hey there :) I will check those links out - thanks!
    I haven't been doing that for 8 months...I have been previously eating all my exercise calories, so around 1500-1600 cal per day, I went off MFP for 2 months as had been logging every single day for 3-4 years and just thought I'd be OK without logging as I thought I knew by then what the daily intake was - but when I weighed myself when I stopped fitting my clothes LOL I was up by 3kg...I've only dropped to 1200 cal per day and not eating exercise calories for the past few days, to see if it would make any difference, as I've been sticking to it for 5 weeks (eating exercise calories) and not shifting anything :sad:

Gotcha. Yeah, definitely check out those links! I know how frustrating it can be to plateau, you might just be due for a "whoosh" of weight loss. Hang in there, and try not to cut too low in kcal:) You'll thank yourself in the long run!

Also, I've found that, esp if you're working out, the scale can be extremely deceiving. I once gained 10 lbs much to my frustration, but I realized I had LOST a dress size. I really advocate for measuring progress through a measuring tape or how your clothes fit, or by taking picture in a mirror. If you end up putting on muscle during your cut due to noob gains, or because you're eating closer to maint, your weight may not go down, but your clothes will start falling off:) Plus weight fluctuates so much due to hormones, food intake volume, etc.. Just something to keep in mind:) I was a lot happier when I started measuring my progress through pictures. I could see my butt getting perkier and my stomach getting flatter etc, and I wasn't fixated on an arbitrary number.
  • raj2208
    [/quote]

Do you use the phone app? Since I'm with my phone all the time, it takes very little time definitely less than ten or even five minutes a day to log. Even when I'm super tired I can do it while laying in bed. You can scan foods in easily, copy them from one day to the next if you really do eat the same things all the time, use the recipe function etc etc. It just seems like conflicting info I mean are you logging or not
    [/quote]

No, don't use phone app...I just have a cheap and nasty phone - only use it for texting/ringing - no internet function on it. I do log everything I eat - all my recipes are entered correctly - I just don't measure say the milk I put in coffee/cereal, I hazard a guess as have a fair idea of how much I'm eating - say I have smoked salmon out of a 200g pack I have about a quarter of it so I"ll say 50g, but don't actually weigh it - etc.