Travelling Abroad with Protein Powder

Options
Hey,

Just wondering if anyone has taken their protein powder on holiday with them. We're going to Turkey in a few weeks and going self-catering so I have some control over what I'm eating while away. I would like to take protein powder with me and I will need to decant some of it into either a bag / tub / jar of some sort as I always buy 2.5kg tubs, but obviously don't want to take the chance that it might be mistaken for something else :wink: !!

Has anyone ever done this and in particular, taken it to Turkey.

Do you just put it in your case or do you have to declare it???

Grateful for any advice.

Replies

• Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I've never traveled abroad before, but I'd advise keeping your food in the original, unopened packaging. If the airline or customs says you need to declare food products, then I'd declare it. Just traveling through the states, I'd even hesitate to put my vanilla powder in baggies because, well, it looks like something else! Having a new, unopened package makes it legit.

Enjoy your journeys!
  • michael300891
    Options
    One of the professors at my university was given a ton of samples to take to the states, white powder, clear bags. = 4 Hours trying to convince security it was just protein powder.
  • greeneyes0809
    greeneyes0809 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    At my school, they evacuated an entire dorm because they found some mysterious white powder they believed to be ricin, but was really protein powder. To be fair there was actual ricin in an adjoining dorm, but still. Protein powder can look pretty sketch, any chance you can live without it for that time?
  • chrispauley1
    Options
    I have just taken mine in baggies on a UK domestic flight, man it looked suspicious

No drama though, straight through security no questions

I am keen to get better ways to do this too! I don't have the luxury of keeping packaging intact as I only get hand luggage allowance
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    TSA inspected my make-up bag a little extra last time I went through LAX. So, for the sake of avoiding any miscommunication, I would look for other options.

Perhaps something single serve like this: http://www.jayrobb.com/protein/Whey-protein-vanilla-12-Pack-Singles.asp
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Hi there... I've travelled between US and Germany with my protein powder. I spent the extra money and bought 2 small bags, packed one in my suitcase, the other in my carry-on, originally sealed. Usually, airport security will let you take your travel food on board, provided that it's dry and won't leak out when it's x-rayed. I also bought some small zip-lock bags in the arts and crafts department at our supermarket, and filled them up with one scoop of protein powder each. I took as many as I could stuff into 2 shakers. No questions asked. I got water on board, and supplemented the crappy food.... =)
    Still, I probably got lucky, though, because customs regulations for Germany prohibit the import of beef products. Whey protein would count as such. Maybe next time I just take pea protein or soy protein. You have to check the regulations for Turkey.
    Good luck and have a safe trip!
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be that concerned. I traveled with baby formula and it wasn't in its original container.

I would put it in something more durable then a baggie, like small Rubbermaid containers or Blender Bottle Go Stacks. I would also label each one clearly with manufacturer and type. It would also look less suspicious if you had more then one flavor. So for me you would probably see "GNC Total Lean Protein Powder, Vanilla" and "GNC Total Lean Protein Powder, Chocolate Peanut Butter".
  • h7463
    Options
    TSA inspected my make-up bag a little extra last time I went through LAX. So, for the sake of avoiding any miscommunication, I would look for other options.

Perhaps something single serve like this: http://www.jayrobb.com/protein/Whey-protein-vanilla-12-Pack-Singles.asp

TSA is a bunch of thieves! I travel with my vitamins, too, and in case of sticky fingers, I bought the cheaper Walmart brand to pack in the suitcase. I took some expensive BCAA and glutamine with me, too, and they stayed with me in my carry-on! (I figured, white powder travels better in pill shape and original seal, while my protein powder was strawberry pink.....)
  • h7463
    Options
    I wouldn't be that concerned. I traveled with baby formula and it wasn't in its original container.

I would put it in something more durable then a baggie, like small Rubbermaid containers or Blender Bottle Go Stacks. I would also label each one clearly with manufacturer and type. It would also look less suspicious if you had more then one flavor. So for me you would probably see "GNC Total Lean Protein Powder, Vanilla" and "GNC Total Lean Protein Powder, Chocolate Peanut Butter".

Hahahaha! Yeah, right. But you probably had the baby go along with it, right? The luggage allowance is a bit tight for dumbbells to make a point....lol
  • markmacare
    markmacare Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Traveled to Germany, France and Monaco with protein powder and supplements - no questions so far. I understand your concern, though!
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I'd be leery of bringing a bag or tub of any kind of powder through airport security.

My suggestion would be
    1. Buy it in Turkey
    2. Have it shipped to Turkey
    3. Original container in checked luggage not carry on
  • purpleleopard76
    purpleleopard76 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for your replies. I've had a look on some other websites too to try and get a definitive answer but seems to be a mixed bag of replies from people who haven't actually traveled and taken protein powder with them, and if they have it's not been to Turkey so not sure what to do.

Keeping it in the original container is not an option as it's 2.5 kg tubs I have and although the individual serve sachets are a good idea they're just too expensive.

Having it mailed is is not an option either as we won't know the exact address of the villa until we get there and are allocated our keys etc.

Tried the Turkish customs website but it's in Turkish so can't get any info from there.

My main concern is taking it through Turkish customs, I'm sure it will be fine in Glasgow so I have a few weeks to find an answer :ohwell:
  • maria0104
    maria0104 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I travelled to Turkey a few years back and the airport we went to, Antalya, was a military run airport and so they were very cautious of what was in your baggage or taken on the plane. Couple this with some recent unrest in areas such as Istanbul and I wouldn't risk it. I do know that if they do think it is an unfortunate substance you're looking at some extremely difficult to explain issues. I know at Antalya finding even a staff member who didn't speak extremely broken English was a bugbear- the military stationed around the scanners etc spoke none. In my experience it is more detain first explain later. Don't risk not being allowed on your flight home or into the country.

If it's that important to take with you then literally I would just scout around for some cheaper single serve or consider taking protein bars with you instead- or if you can't and it's so important I would just buy whatever single serve you can. It's a holiday- chill ????
  • AlliSteff
    AlliSteff Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I travel for work a lot, and I just get some packages of individual servings to take with me. They cost a bit more, but are more convenient-

http://www.amazon.com/Whey-Protein-Isolate-Chocolate-Packet/dp/B0040QQIMO/ref=pd_bxgy_hpc_text_y

I also took these to Iceland this winter with no issue
  • mirthfuldragon
    mirthfuldragon Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I can only vouch for flying domestic in the United States, but I had zero problems taking two containers (screw-top tupperware) of protein powder and sports drink mix through the airport. Containers were unlabeled.
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I'm in the military and have traveled all over the world.

For my two cents, don't take it.

I've had it taken off me in Thailand, Australia and New Zealand. Even when it was in the original container.

To take it into the Middle East is adding an element of risk and hassel that I think isn't worth the benefit.

When I go on travel, I simply eat more eggs, milk and meat...call it a day.

Most likely, you won't have any problem but again, to me, it ain't worth the risk.
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Take protein bars. I took individually wrapped protein bars through the airports in San Francisco, Seattle, Vancouver, London, Amsterdam and Copenhagen with no problem.
  • mereditheve
    mereditheve Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I travel 2-3 times per week with protein powder and pre-workout powder. I've used a freezer bag to carry the pre-workout powder since it is from a large container. And I get smaller 5- or 10-serving tubs of protein powder to take with me when I travel so it doesn't take up so much space in my carry on.

Out of the last 40 or so flights this year, only once has TSA had me open the bag to inspect it because of a sealed container of chocolate protein powder. I think the TSA agent was new, not very bright, and had never seen protein powder in his life from the looks of him... it delayed me about 5 minutes or less while they swabbed the outside of the container before sending me on my merry way. Speaking of which, make sure there's no explosive residue on anything in your bag.

Protein powder is not prohibited in either carry on or checked baggage.
  • mereditheve
    mereditheve Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Here are Turkish customs rules:

Free import:
    1. tobacco products (for travellers aged 18 and over): 200 cigarettes and 5 cigarillos (not exceeding 3g each) and 10 cigars and 200 grammes of tobacco (with 200 cigarette papers) or 200 grammes chewing tobacco or 200 grammes of wate-pipe tobacco or 50 grammes of snuff tobacco;
    2. alcoholic beverages (for travellers aged 18 and over): 1 bottle of 1 litre or 2 bottles of 700 ml./750ml. of wine and/or spirits;
    3. 5 bottles of perfume (max. 120 ml. each);
    4. gifts up to the value of EUR 300.- (EUR 145.- for those aged under 15);
    5. 1kg of coffee; 1kg of instant coffee; 500g of tea; 1kg of chocolate; 1kg food made of sugar;
    6. medications for personal use.

Don't bring over 1kg in case they question if it's food "made of sugar"
  • purpleleopard76
    purpleleopard76 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    It really is ridiculous that there should be such a problem traveling with protein powder when it is freely available to buy practically anywhere. It's not like you get strawberry flavoured smack lol :tongue:

I don't like the protein bars, too much sugar, carbs and too many calories and again, too expensive. They can't be used in the same way as powder - I mix the powder with my oats in the morning,make pancakes, mix in greek yoghurt, for shakes etc.

I know I'm going on holiday, but I don't want to be coming back after two weeks with 6-9 lbs to lose again. I'd rather keep in control and enjoy myself at the same time.

Here are Turkish customs rules:

Free import:
    1. tobacco products (for travellers aged 18 and over): 200 cigarettes and 5 cigarillos (not exceeding 3g each) and 10 cigars and 200 grammes of tobacco (with 200 cigarette papers) or 200 grammes chewing tobacco or 200 grammes of wate-pipe tobacco or 50 grammes of snuff tobacco;
    2. alcoholic beverages (for travellers aged 18 and over): 1 bottle of 1 litre or 2 bottles of 700 ml./750ml. of wine and/or spirits;
    3. 5 bottles of perfume (max. 120 ml. each);
    4. gifts up to the value of EUR 300.- (EUR 145.- for those aged under 15);
    5. 1kg of coffee; 1kg of instant coffee; 500g of tea; 1kg of chocolate; 1kg food made of sugar;
    6. medications for personal use.

Don't bring over 1kg in case they question if it's food "made of sugar"

Thanks for this meredith, although I thought it would maybe be classed as a milk product?
    I travel 2-3 times per week with protein powder and pre-workout powder. I've used a freezer bag to carry the pre-workout powder since it is from a large container.

Is it Turkey you have traveled to? I know there doesn't seem to be any problems within the EU but as Turkey are not in the EU this is why I'm not sure what to do. Do you think I should just bag and label it and put it in my case, or I was thinking of maybe putting it into an Ovaltine tub or something and removing the label and relabelling to say what it is?