New runner question for all the runners out there!

Options
2»

Replies

• RhiannonBaugh
    RhiannonBaugh Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I used to smoke but stopped 3 years ago now and when I first started running my chested burned too. The more you run the easier it gets :) I can run 7 miles without stopping and with no problems with my chest. Do some deep breathing exercises aswell and that will help with your lung capacity and that will help.you run longer without getting out of breath. And just keep running :) well done on your mile :) it's always good when you complete something you couldn't before :)
  • mlcrec
    mlcrec Posts: 66
    Options
    Thank you to all of you that took the time to answer my question!
  • LesasGettinFit
    LesasGettinFit Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    out of breath but no burning that from a non smoker...and from the sounds of it you enjoy smoking so I dk if it's something you have to get use to or not.
  • RunnerStephe
    RunnerStephe Posts: 2,195
    Options
    You should be able to talk while you run. If you can't then slow down a little. Unless you are racing! Chest burning must be from smoking. I never have that issue.
  • melaniedsm
    melaniedsm Posts: 55
    Options
    You should be able to talk while you run. If you can't then slow down a little. Unless you are racing! Chest burning must be from smoking. I never have that issue.

Agreed! You should be able to talk. If you can't talk you need to run slower or interval train (walk/run). Couch to 5k isn't for everyone. Maybe you need to do it slower. For example run week 1 twice. If you are running to where your chest hurts and you can't talk you aren't burning fat anymore. I am assuming your primary goal in running is to loose weight/increase muscle, in which case you are pushing too hard if your chest burns.

On the smoking front have you tried vapor? I hate that my husband does it, but I much prefer it to smoking. You don't have alot of the ill effects and without the tar in your lungs it should be much easier to run.