Best green smoothie???

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I don't like chewing my greens so I shove as many as possible into a green smoothie every morning:

1 banana, OR peach OR pear
    3/4 cup frozen pineapple
    Berries if you want them
    3 cups of kale/swiss chard/spinach mix
    Water to blend

Be careful with smoothies. The ones you're seeing with a cup of coconut milk, peanut butter, all fruit, juice yogurt etc can easily hit the 500cal mark (this may be fine for some but too many cals for others)

Fat soluble vitamins...
  • heis4u2004
    heis4u2004 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    1/5 frozen banana (if not add a few ice cubes)
    1tbs all natural peanut butter
    handful spinach
    1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
    1 teasp cocoa powder (hershey's special dark for best flavor)

This morning this is what I had:
    1/2 cup ripened frozen mango
    handful spinach
    1/2 cup unsweet van almond milk
    1/2 scoop Melaleuca Fiberwise Harvest peach powder

Last night:
    1/2 banana
    handful spinach
    1 full scoop Harvest Peach powder
    1/2 cup almond milk
    3-4 ice cubes

Note- peanut butter doesn't go with everything, like mango or any citrus fruit or peach flavors. Tried it and not good. Pineapple if used can overwhelm the rest of the ingredients and can tastes more like pineapple juice.
    Kale is a great if spinach is not available.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    I don't like chewing my greens so I shove as many as possible into a green smoothie every morning:

1 banana, OR peach OR pear
    3/4 cup frozen pineapple
    Berries if you want them
    3 cups of kale/swiss chard/spinach mix
    Water to blend

Be careful with smoothies. The ones you're seeing with a cup of coconut milk, peanut butter, all fruit, juice yogurt etc can easily hit the 500cal mark (this may be fine for some but too many cals for others)

Fat soluble vitamins...

That's what my greek yogurt is for :)

I was simply trying to caution anyone new to this. Just because it's a smoothie doesn't mean it's healthy or will make you lose weight.
  • heis4u2004
    heis4u2004 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Here's the run down on the food diary:
    Malaleuca - Fiberwise Harvest Peach, 1 Scoops 30 12 5 0 0 3
    Almond Breeze Unsweetened - Vanilla Almond Milk, 0.5 cup (240 mL) 20 1 2 1 90 0
    Del Monte - Small Banana, 0.5 (six inch) 39 10 0 1 1 6
    Doles - Fresh Spinach (Fixed), 1 cups 7 1 0 1 22 0
    Total calories- 96 calories

You can also add a small lightly steamed carrot (of course cooled & I did mine in the microwave).

What else do you suggest would go with peanut butter? I hear about smoothies with beets and cucumbers and such and I wonder do they actually taste good?
  • Leafy12
    Leafy12 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I find simple to be best - I always do 1) spinach and/or dark lettuce, 2) ripe banana, 3) protein powder, 4) ice and water + whatever other fruits are on hand.

I find that if the banana is not ripe (ie it should be well freckled), the smoothie is too thick to be drinkable and not sweet enough!
  • myohana4
    myohana4 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    My favorite....

2 cups of spinach
    1 cup cold water
    1 frozen banana
    1/2 cup frozen green grapes
    1/2-1 cup frozen pineapple

YUM!
  • soleym72
    soleym72 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Here are a few of my favs :)

I like this one. You can also take the same ingredients and make it into a healthy green juice :)

1) The green one

1/2 cucumber
    1-2 sticks cellery
    1-2 cups lettuce (not romaine or ice-berg but leafy green) or spinach / kale. I personally like to add lettuce and a little bit of spinach also.
    Ginger (About 3cm or according to preference)
    Slice of lime
    1/2 - 1 apple . If you're going to make this into a juice I recommend using a green apple.
    Water

2) Chocolate one

1 banana
    1/2 - 1 avocado
    1/2 cup - 1 cupl Coconut milk (not the fatty kind but the type you but on your cereal)
    1-2tsp dark cacao powder.

3) This one is sweet and great (not a everyday thing)

1 banana
    1/3 mango (or 1/2 if you want it really sweet :) )
    4 -5 dates
    +a little bit of water

4) What I do everyday

Base: water, cucumber, kale/lettuce/spinach, ginger. --- I always have these if I can.
    Then I either add: banana, avocado, mango, berries, green tea, orange, grapefruit ,lemon/lime, melon, coconut milk or soy milk.
    It's great to add a tiny bit of cayenne pepper (just a little bit ;) ) if you want an extra burn or just something a little bit spicy

Also a great tip for water if you want to spice it up! I love this one. It's like a non alcoholic mojito.

Heat up some water, warm but not boiling.
    Add fresh mint
    Lime & lemon.

Let it cool and have it really fresh! :D
  • nicoleduo
    nicoleduo Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    1 frozen banana, 2 cups fresh raw spinach, 1 cup frozen dole pineapple. YUM! i love green smoothies.
  • nicoleduo
    nicoleduo Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    adding 1/4 piece of avocado will give it a creamy smoothness! lol TASTY!
  • glasshalffull713
    glasshalffull713 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    a couple handfuls of spinach or kale
    1 cup of water or coconut water
    a few mint leaves
    half a banana (or a whole) hopefully frozen
    1/2-1 cup cubed frozen watermelon

Some tips: I always blend the greens and the liquid first, then add everything else. This helps make it well blended and smooth. You can also do your whole batch of kale or spinach with water and then pour it into ice cube trays and then throw in a few kale cubes into the blender when you make your smoothie. Peel bananas and break them into halves or quarters and put them in a zip lock bag. Freeze berries or cubed melon, watermelon, mango, peach slices, etc on a cookie sheet and once frozen store in a zip lock bag. Grapes can be frozen to. So can lemon wedges, which can be great additions to smoothies! This is great for when you accidentally buy too much fruit and don't want it to go bad!
  • AMOMONAJOURNEYTOCHANGEHERLIFE
    Options
    My favorite right now is

2 cups of spinach
    160z of coconut water
    1 cup of great value California frozen mix fruit
    1 ripe banana

Really it depends on your taste and what your activities are. I'm not super active in the morning so this works right now. I probably could stand to up the protein in it. But for now this lasts me till lunch time. But you could eat a few almonds with it.
  • jaggerhawks
    jaggerhawks Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Green smoothies are great snacks! Even my junk-food loving fiance enjoys this one:

1 frozen banana
    1 cup almond or coconut milk
    2 tbs Peanut butter or almond butter
    1 tbs cocoa powder
    1/2 avocado
    couple handfuls of spinach
    Ice

It's pretty large for a snack, but it meets my energy/calorie needs as we're very active. It could be a good breakfast for some

Add hershey syrup on top and I'm in
  • Daytonsmommy
    Daytonsmommy Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    My husband really wanted to start eating more fruits and vegetables so he started drinking a smoothie with these ingredients in the morning:

1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
    1/2 cup plain nonfat greek yogurt
    1 heaping spoonful of Peanut Butter
    1 banana
    1 scoop of chocolate protein powder
    4 cups baby spinach
    Ice

He is fairly picky and enjoys this smoothie. He also doesn't have much time to make an actual breakfast in the morning, so this keeps him pretty full for a couple of hours. He isn't drinking it for weight loss, but trying to get more greens in his diet.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Please post the best green smoothie for nutrition and weight loss.

Not sure if this would qualify as a weight loss smoothie (if one exists) but I do like it...

1 banana (fresh or frozen)
    1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
    1 cup spinach (fresh or frozen)
    1/4 cup roasted sunflower seeds
    1/4 cup rolled oats
    2 cups water (or beverage of choice)
  • tlb1175
    tlb1175 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I drink a smoothie every morning for breakfast. I put either 2 handfuls of baby spinach (2 cups) or 1 small/med. zucchini, 1 med. banana, 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk, & then 1/2 cup of another fruit. I also do not use frozen fruits because to me they do not have as much flavor as fresh ( I know I am weird). Sometimes if I feel a bit more hungry I will throw in a 1/4 cup of uncooked oatmeal. I really like the ones with peanut butter in them but I hold off on using peanut butter in my smoothies & save my peanut butter calories for when I am wanting something sweet. I really do not think there is a wrong way to make a smoothie or a wrong thing to put in a smoothie as long as you watch how many calories you are putting into one. I have even added cucumber & canned pumpkin to mine(separate smoothies of course) & it was delicious! Next I will be trying butternut squash as soon as they get ready in my garden.
  • flhedinger
    flhedinger Posts: 35
    Options
    I usually have 1 cup of kale, 1 ounce of almonds, 2 tbs of unsweetened coconut, one orange, and a handful of a frozen fruit blend that includes mango, pineapple, peach and strawberry. Obviously if you are going for lower fat you can leave out the coconut -- that's the treat portion of it for me because i think it makes it taste delicious! Sometimes I add in some banana, or use less orange and add in another fruit, and sometimes I also add in flax seed. My smoothies range from 300 - 400 calories and I eat one for breakfast each morning.
  • TJWrites00
    TJWrites00 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I just started having one for breakfast that I really enjoy. It's around 300 calories, but it keeps me full all morning long.

1/4 cup vanilla yogurt
    1 Tbsp hemp hearts
    1 Tbsp chia seeds
    1 Tbsp raw cacao nibs that I grind before I use (next time will buy powder)
    1/4 cup juice
    1/2 cup frozen strawberries
    1/4 cup other frozen berries
    1/2 cup - 2 cups baby spinach depending on how much I want
  • tara_jm
    tara_jm Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My favourites:

- plain protein powder
    - almond milk
    - frozen banana
    - juice of an orange and lemon
    - basil
    - spinach

The citrus and basil make this so fresh tasting!

- plain protein powder
    - almond milk
    - frozen banana
    - instant coffee (starbucks via)
    - cocoa powder
    - spinach
  • Newgirlnewme
    Options
    1 cup of a green(I chose spinach)
    1/2 cup of water
    2 fruit of your choice (1 cup each,I chose an Apple and pineapples)
    And 1 banana

The best green smoothie ever! And this is one serving
  • vikie
    vikie Posts: 36
    Options
    I have this - its not very yummy but good for vitamins and v.low cal (as there is a lack of yumminess in it)
    2x kiwi
    1x apple
    3x sticks of celery
    1/2 a cucumber
    1/4 of a bag of spinach
    handful of rocket (as more than this makes it VERY bitter)

and if you cant stand the flavor honey is a good way to sweeten it - but obviously this adds the calories!
    :)