Anyone with a post total hip replacement surgery (THR)?

Options
Hey Guys,
I am 29 years old and had my hip replacement late oct last year! Now I am back in the exercise world! For those sailing in the same boat as me, there are so many rules you can not break while excercising (http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/dislocation-risk-and-90-degree-rule.10181/), hence our exercise regime is going to be sligtly different and requires a bit of thought process!
Please let me know if you guys have any suggestions with respect of exercises for post THR, to make the exercises more fun and effective!
Thanks in advance!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• michellemeyers2
    Options
    I had a total hip replacement and wasn't given any restrictions other than no running. I was told it did not matter what angle I moved my leg etc. Did you have an anterior approach?
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I had mine 10 years ago and was told no running, jumping up and down, no breaststroke, no parachute jumping, no bungee jumping and no motorbikes (crash risk). Also, of course, have to make sure that I don't over rotate the hip and/or bend beyond the 90 degrees.

I did do Kung fu before the op, but was so depressed afterwards (my hip replacement was the result of an MRSA infection from a more minor op and I was on crutches for almost 2 years) that I stopped Kung Fu.

But, now I am back at Kung Fu and my instructor makes sure I train correctly, amends stretches and such like to accomodate the lack of flexibility and trains my arms and hands more to compensate for the fact that I can't kick like I could.

Then there is swimming - best exercise for me and recommended by my Doc and Physio. I used to be a breastroker, but had to switch to front crawl because of the hip and last year (and this year) did the 5km swimathon. Both the Swimming and the Kung Fu meant I lost my weight (3 stone) in 6 months and I have kept it off.

So, you can do most exercises, except running and jumping exercises (i.e. fast skipping etc) and that's only because you place too much stress on the joints and will wear them away more quickly. If you go to classes, check out the instructors as good ones will be able to give you workarounds on certain exercises - my Kung Fu instructor is also a sports physio which helps.

Make sure you keep up all the post-op recovery exercises as well - these help keep you flexible and strong (I still do mine 10 years later). If in doubt go see your doc or physio for advice - but I know that swimming is the top one that they will recommend.
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I know my username suggests I am older than I am but I had my THR when I was 36 (so, not much older than you). Am 46 now and fitter and thinner than I ever was before.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Have had several implants,including one hip.Was told no running,jumping & no high heels. gave up breast stroke swimming.Do attend water aerobic classes & just don't do any jumping involved.Walking is also great.
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I had both hips replaced in 2011. I had some restrictions in the first 6 months after the surgeries, but have none now. Different surgeons seem to have different views. What type of implant do you have?
  • khalikhoopri
    khalikhoopri Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I had both hips replaced in 2011. I had some restrictions in the first 6 months after the surgeries, but have none now. Different surgeons seem to have different views. What type of implant do you have?

I have ceramic/metal implants
  • khalikhoopri
    Options
    60sPanda wrote: »
    I had mine 10 years ago and was told no running, jumping up and down, no breaststroke, no parachute jumping, no bungee jumping and no motorbikes (crash risk). Also, of course, have to make sure that I don't over rotate the hip and/or bend beyond the 90 degrees.

I did do Kung fu before the op, but was so depressed afterwards (my hip replacement was the result of an MRSA infection from a more minor op and I was on crutches for almost 2 years) that I stopped Kung Fu.

But, now I am back at Kung Fu and my instructor makes sure I train correctly, amends stretches and such like to accomodate the lack of flexibility and trains my arms and hands more to compensate for the fact that I can't kick like I could.

Then there is swimming - best exercise for me and recommended by my Doc and Physio. I used to be a breastroker, but had to switch to front crawl because of the hip and last year (and this year) did the 5km swimathon. Both the Swimming and the Kung Fu meant I lost my weight (3 stone) in 6 months and I have kept it off.

So, you can do most exercises, except running and jumping exercises (i.e. fast skipping etc) and that's only because you place too much stress on the joints and will wear them away more quickly. If you go to classes, check out the instructors as good ones will be able to give you workarounds on certain exercises - my Kung Fu instructor is also a sports physio which helps.

Make sure you keep up all the post-op recovery exercises as well - these help keep you flexible and strong (I still do mine 10 years later). If in doubt go see your doc or physio for advice - but I know that swimming is the top one that they will recommend.

Thank you so much for sharing! It is very motivating :)
  • khalikhoopri
    Options
    Thanks everyone on their two cents! Really appreciate your help!