Losing 'vanity pounds' - go hungry?

Options

Replies

• thickerella
    thickerella Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    As for lifting weights, check out the book "The New Rules for Lifting for Women"

I recommend lifting weights not just for how it will make you look, although it WILL give you the figure you want. I recommend it for how it will make you feel. I've only lost 40lbs but I am SMALLER now than when I weighed LESS. I feel so much stronger since I started lifting weights. It is an amazing feeling. Don't use the barbie weights. Lift heavy. Your body will love it.

As for hunger, as others have said, carbs will make you hungrier. Eat more protein and fats and you will feel fuller and satisfied for longer. It doesn't have to be meat. Cottage cheese, peanut butter, and quinoa are all good sources.
  • DMadelineP
    DMadelineP Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Im doing the same and I faced the same issue... I solved it by completely eliminating wheat/obvious carbs from my meals and plugging in protein... Just think, when you eat 150 cals of bread.... of how much longer 150 more cals of protein would keep you stuffed...
    I also started taking a water bottle with me full of water, those instant iced tea baggies, or lemon pieces, and- voila, I began to drink more water, and consequently eat less!
    I then read somewhere that if you eat the protein last during your meal, it keeps your appetite down for longer.,.. (not sure if that's even close to accurate, but i've found it works!)
  • trishfit2014
    trishfit2014 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I see wine every day. If you really want to lose vanity weight you need to cut back. I would decide if you would rather just have one glass of wine a night or less often but stay at the two or three glasses. Wine is empty calories and often causes you to eat other junk. Drink lots of water, eat more veges and lean protein.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I don't know what the official definition of "vanity pounds" is. But I assume it is someone who wants to lose weight mostly to look better and who doesn't have a BMI that is overweight.

I am female, 23, 5"9 and 150 lbs / 68 kgs. I used to be as slim as 128 lbs and although I don't need to go quite as low, I am uncomfortable at my current weight. I don't just want to be more toned, I want to be slimmer. I was always healthy before, but after some bad months of depression and unhealthy eating/drinking, I gained, and am now struggling to lose it.

It feels as though my body desperately wants to reach maintenance every day. I eat about 1500 calories, but I walk to and frm work burning about 300 calories each way, and I eat back about half of them. But my body wants more. I don't eat when I'm having cravings, I eat when I'm hungry. Of course I allow myself some wine and cheese because I don't want to punish myself and then go nuts (which I did in the past).

Those of you losing so-called "vanity pounds", do you feel like you sometimes need to go hungry to bed to get results?

Although some put the number higher, to me vanity pounds are 10 lb over ideal weight for your height. However, when I started the weight loss portion of my fitness journey, many would have considered any weight to be lost as vanity because I was still within the healthy range for my age and height. I was right on the the high edge of the range, have gone just below ideal and heading quickly to the low end. I'm 54, 5'1", and currently 111.2 lb. Many claim that losing vanity pounds is difficult. I don't think it is anymore difficult other than not having extra weight to help boost the caloric burn. For example, a person who is 50 lb over ideal weight is going to burn a lot more calories than someone 5 lb over ideal weight doing the same exercise at the same intensity for the same amount of time. Unlike many, I have not experienced a weight loss plateau. Losing vanity weight means you really need to pay attention to your calorie deficit and reset your weight loss goal to 0.5 lb per week.

A 300 calorie burn for walking may be high. How far is it to work? Are you using a pedometer with calories burnt? If not, you may be overestimating your calorie burn so eating more than you should. Studies have shown that giving into your cravings can result in increased success at weight loss so portion control what you are craving, enjoy and factor it into your daily calories. If you are craving carbs, especially those with simple sugars, increasing your probiotics will help. You can do this by eating yogurt with active bacteria, fermented foods or taking a probiotic supplement. Both wine and cheese are calorie dense foods. If you want to include them in your diet while losing weight you will have to do so in moderation and definitely weigh the cheese. If you haven't started with weights, they are really the best way to go as far as toning and shaping. If you don't want to or can't go to a gym, buy dumbbells and a kettlebell then get free exercise videos on YouTube. I also recommend adding a resistance band to work on strength training. Both the weights and resistance will help maintain muscle while shaping and toning AND burning a few calories to boot.
  • TonyStark30
    TonyStark30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    From my personal experience losing the vanity pounds is about being strict and consistent. Not really about staving yourself or going under the recomended calories, just the fact that for at least 2 weeks at at time you will have to be hungry ay night and just go to bed, you can't give in every few days like before.
    I got down to them 2 years ago and my gym closed so I went and bulked up, on my way back down to them now, I know its going to be tough when I get there as right now I can get away with so much!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    You are so not alone! I go between 133 and 134 pounds, and I've been losing extremely slowly (like one pound a month) because I'm just so hungry (I had to increase my goal to 1800 but even then, I go over quite a bit, and still go to bed hungry half the time). And I've increased my activity by quite a bit too, but nope... not bulging.

I think one of the issues too is that as you get smaller, you get more active, and it's harder to judge exactly how many calories you are burning during the day... at least for me. I'm on my feet much more than I used to, I'm on the stationary bike over an hour a day, I walk, I lift weights (not heavy heavy, but 20 to 45 pounds dumbbells)... I just have no idea what my TDEE is anymore.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Yes, vanity pounds are tough to lose... I'm busy trying to get rid of some vanity body fat now, and the bathroom scale hasn't moved a pound really for months... As I got below 20% of bf (about at 17% now, 50yrs, 5'5", 135lbs), my body got really efficient, making good use of all the food that I'm eating. I have to train like a mad woman, just to maintain.... not complaining, though....having fun with it....
    Right now, my calorie goal is set at 1500 calories per day, like yours. Most days, I will only eat back exercise calories up to my BMR, which is about 1300 calories right now. The funny thing about it, I really seem to NEED 1500 calories of food, but I can train all day after that, and not go hungry. I had tried eating around 1200 before, and it was like tearing the fridge door off the hinges.
    About the alcohol....there are several studies, suggesting that alcohol will sabotage weight loss. Mainly, in a nut shell, it's because the body considers it as a toxin, and will make an effort to eliminate it as quickly as possible, therefore wasting valuable energy that would otherwise be used to process the healthy food that you are eating. Might want to put off the wine for a while, see what happens... Personally, I can't even remember when I had a drink...I probably logged it in MFP long time ago...I wouldn't want to trade a single valuable protein calorie on it now....lol
    Good luck!
  • hmg90
    hmg90 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I don't know what the official definition of "vanity pounds" is. But I assume it is someone who wants to lose weight mostly to look better and who doesn't have a BMI that is overweight.

I am female, 23, 5"9 and 150 lbs / 68 kgs. I used to be as slim as 128 lbs and although I don't need to go quite as low, I am uncomfortable at my current weight. I don't just want to be more toned, I want to be slimmer. I was always healthy before, but after some bad months of depression and unhealthy eating/drinking, I gained, and am now struggling to lose it.

It feels as though my body desperately wants to reach maintenance every day. I eat about 1500 calories, but I walk to and frm work burning about 300 calories each way, and I eat back about half of them. But my body wants more. I don't eat when I'm having cravings, I eat when I'm hungry. Of course I allow myself some wine and cheese because I don't want to punish myself and then go nuts (which I did in the past).

Those of you losing so-called "vanity pounds", do you feel like you sometimes need to go hungry to bed to get results?

A 300 calorie burn for walking may be high. How far is it to work?

It is about 4 miles / 6 kilometers. Google Maps estimates the walking time to about 1 hr 22 mins, I walk it in an hour or sometimes 45.

I might start not eating back my exercise calories, or not log walking at all.
  • hmg90
    Options
    I sometimes feel like the exercise isn't really helping me. If I don't exercise as all I might stay within 1500 calories. But if I walk in the morning and burn say 2-300 calories, I am super hungry the rest of the day and I want to eat MORE than those calories back, i.e. I struggle to stay within 1800.
    Exercise is supposed to help but I feel like it's better not to, anyone else feel this way?
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Im exactly the same, I feel like the more or longer I work out - The more I want to eat.

So some nights I have stopped myself going to the gym, had a nice chilled out evening & just eaten less??

I go over the gym burn loads of calories, Come home starving & just want to eat - Seems silly!

I think with our height we probably need to eat a little under our TDEE, and not eat back the calories burned/ maybe half??
  • hmg90
    Options
    Im exactly the same, I feel like the more or longer I work out - The more I want to eat.

So some nights I have stopped myself going to the gym, had a nice chilled out evening & just eaten less??

I go over the gym burn loads of calories, Come home starving & just want to eat - Seems silly!

I think with our height we probably need to eat a little under our TDEE, and not eat back the calories burned/ maybe half??

I think I will try to work out less, maybe walk once a day or so and not eat it back. Just focus on staying under 1500 cals altogether...

I had no issues losing extra weight at all a few years ago, should be able to do it now..
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You're already a healthy BMI so it would be advisable to eat at a small deficit from TDEE (10 or 15%) and lift weights.

this
  • lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Those last few pounds are going to come off VERY slowly, so starving yourself isn't the answer. It will just make you binge.

I'm older, shorter, and lighter than you are, and I can eat 2300 calories a day and create a deficit. 1500 sounds way too low--eat more. And as a pp said, lift some heavy weights. It will do more to get you the look you want than not eating.

I've honestly never lifted before and wouldn't know where to start. I'm one of those spin class bunnies who's somewhat afraid of that weight lifting room where there are only men and they're kissing their biceps in the mirror. I'd feel like a fool walking in and grabbing the lightest ones and I wouldn't know what technique to use either.

Are there any types of classes with a trainer that's good to start doing? Like those kettlebells ones?

I completely get where you're coming from about being intimidated by the free weights room - I was exactly like that and wouldn't go near it. Now, you can't get me away! I'm near enough always the only female, and sometimes the only person in the weights area. Perhaps ask one of the trainers in the gym to help you out with a couple of exercises using weights. You will build up the confidence and will no longer feel intimidated. A lot of the time the blokes are too busy focussing on themselves that they're not interested in what you're doing! (Guys - this is obviously a generalisation, based on what I've seen - I'm not implying you're all that vain!!).

I also do kettlercise 1-2 times a week and it's amazing! The class I do only involves 30-35mins of active exercise but it's a quality workout and you will feel great. I would definitely recommend it. You can start light with 4kg kettlebells and work your way up. I usually use a range of weights (4kg, 6kg, 8kg) as there are so many different exercises throughout the class.
  • lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    Options

I've found that choosing the right foods lead to less hunger. I upped my protein intake and ate less carbs and it totally worked for me.

It's true. If I eliminate sugar, alcohol, and excessive fats and carbs I'm there. Right now, I'm focusing on avoiding sweets. I've had a lot of stress and I can't go on a flat-out diet at the moment. (For me to make significant progress it helps for me to go on a very streamlined eating plan for a limited period.)

Ditto. I realised my diet used to be very carb heavy, which was affecting me. I now have higher protein and fat and lower carb which is working well for me. I have a split of 35:30:35 (Carbs:Fat:Pro). If you're feeling hungry, higher protein and fat will help satiety.
  • fit_gal
    fit_gal Posts: 167
    Options
    I guess you could say I'm losing vanity pounds. I'm not overweight but I don't feel entirely comfortable where I am. I don't feel like I'm going hungry. I'm logging my food in every day and find that I can eat quite a lot still. The only difference is that I'm not eating without thinking what goes into my mouth. So not constantly grazing on choccy and crisps etc.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Those last few pounds are going to come off VERY slowly, so starving yourself isn't the answer. It will just make you binge.

I'm older, shorter, and lighter than you are, and I can eat 2300 calories a day and create a deficit. 1500 sounds way too low--eat more. And as a pp said, lift some heavy weights. It will do more to get you the look you want than not eating.

QFT. I have the same stats - older, shorter and lighter than you. I also burn way less than 600 calories a day through exercise. Learning to listen to your body is vital. You're hungry because you need to eat more.

Have you tried to figure out your TDEE? Try this calculator and use a 5-10% deficit, max.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

The less you have to lose, the closer to your maintenance calories you should be eating. Otherwise, when you start eating normally, it will most likely all come back and nobody wants to be that statistic, right?
  • One_Last_Time
    Options
    Vanity pounds a SO hard to lose. I'm 5'8 and 140, healthy weight and i'm not huge I'm just not comfortable in my skin. I'd love to lose 10-20 pounds or at least lower my body fat %. Current I think is 22%, I'd like to be 10-15%. I feel like I have to go hungry to lose the weight.
  • fit_gal
    fit_gal Posts: 167
    Options
    I am 5ft 8 and I am aiming for the weight you already are :)
  • hmg90
    Options

QFT. I have the same stats - older, shorter and lighter than you. I also burn way less than 600 calories a day through exercise. Learning to listen to your body is vital. You're hungry because you need to eat more.

Have you tried to figure out your TDEE? Try this calculator and use a 5-10% deficit, max.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

The less you have to lose, the closer to your maintenance calories you should be eating. Otherwise, when you start eating normally, it will most likely all come back and nobody wants to be that statistic, right?

I am not sure if my lifestyle is sedentary or lightly active. I have an office job but I am not passive all day, I do run around quite a bit. Assuming it is somewhere between sedentary and mildly active, my TDEE would be approx. 1900.

I will try eating more protein. At least when I'm having salads or sandwiches I always add ham or chicken and acovado and/or eggs. I didn't grow up with junk food and have never been eating a lot of candy, the only vice for me is carbs. I would be depressed cutting out all cheese and wine and never have any bread. I also notice it affects my concentration and digestion.
    But I suppose I'll swap the sushi for something else without rice, even though I love it :(

I think my body fat is around 24%. I'm happy to go down to 20-22%, but I don't want to go lower.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Vanity pounds a SO hard to lose. I'm 5'8 and 140, healthy weight and i'm not huge I'm just not comfortable in my skin. I'd love to lose 10-20 pounds or at least lower my body fat %. Current I think is 22%, I'd like to be 10-15%. I feel like I have to go hungry to lose the weight.

10-15% for a woman is competition level isn't it? not really sustainable long term?