Looking for support... BIG TIME

Options
I really need some support in so many aspects of my life. Last month I lost my dad to ALS, it was a very long 2 years of watching him battle and struggle. I helped my mother who stayed his primary caregiver to the very end. I can NOT even describe the pain I feel from loosing him and seeing my mother so heartbroken. In those 2 years I really let myself go on a roller coaster. I gained an excessive amount of weight (75lbs) now I have a ton of medical issues myself, Thyriod problems, hormonal problems, I even have a fatty liver which can lead to permeant damage. I REALLY want..... NO I NEED to lose weight. For my kids and for my dad, who despite his terrible disease he never stopped living. I need lots of support and ppl to talk to :)

Replies

• Elly1021
    Elly1021 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for your loss. It sounds like you have had a really rough couple of years.

It's great that you are taking charge of your life and working to do something positive for yourself. There are a lot of great people on here who will be able to help support you on your journey. Best of luck!
  • cholepapi
    cholepapi Posts: 79
    Options
    That is a difficult time and sorry for your loss. It's great that your ready to gain yourself back.
  • jessupbrady
    jessupbrady Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    ALS is very tough, I worked for MDA some time ago and have seen a great many families with this horrific struggle. I really feel for your loss and the suffering you have had over the years as a result. Undoubtedly, the suffering you still have.

Getting your life in order and taking care of the medical needs you have is a great way to move on.
  • frannieshack
    frannieshack Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    So sorry for your sorrow and loss, be kind and patient with yourself. Take one day at a time.
  • Preikschas
    Preikschas Posts: 37
    Options
    Thank you very much
  • doobs1972
    doobs1972 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello. I lost my dad 8 years ago to Alzheimers, he was only 60 when he passed and I too struggled whilst watching my mum breakdown over it. Ive put on 6st over the years and im ready to start losing it - I think about my dad alot still and know he would support me. Stay strong, the pain won't go but you learn to cope better as the days go by. X
  • welborn1006
    Options
    So sorry to hear about your loss !!! You can do it and you have many reasons to do it !!!! Add me would love to motivate and encourage and you can do the same for me !!! Wishing you this BEST of luck !!! ????
  • Nyksta
    Nyksta Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I've also witnessed the devastation of Alzheimers when my mother in law passed away through complications due to the illness. That was 5 years ago now and I miss her very much. My father in law took care of her also until the very end.

I'm happy to receive friend request if I can offer any support :)

Nyk x
  • Moveover50
    Moveover50 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am only new to this but can support you and encourage you along the way. I too let myself go and now want to get healthy and happy. Call on me anytime. GoodLuck
  • healthy4three
    Options
    Hi there. I'm so sorry for your loss. It's really hard to go through that with a parent. Take comfort in knowing that you were able to help him at the most difficult time. I'm sure your mom appreciates your help.

You totally can lose the weight. Just stay on track. And it helps if you find a workout that you love!

*hugs*
  • Megz2006
    Megz2006 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss and all the issues with your health. You can totally get healthy, and there is a supportive community here to help you!
  • kpringlechip
    kpringlechip Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    It is also unfortunate when you loss a loved one especially one that is close to you-- sorry for your loss. However, it is awesome that you are able to recognize that a change is needed and not only that you are going after it!!! Sometimes the first step is the hardest but you have fellow pals that are here to support you when needed. KEEP PUSHING!!!!!!!
  • kt2007
    kt2007 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Sorry for everything your dealing with right now but it will get better. Take care of yourself and feel free to add me if you want.
  • Preikschas
    Options
    Thank you everyone! It is so good to have support. They say sometimes it is easier to talk to a stranger then a friend or family. It really helps to have ppl surround you with kindness and love, so again, thank you
  • kids183
    kids183 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    My heart goes out to you! I lost my Mom to pancreatic cancer 7 years ago. I was 9 months pregnant with my youngest daughter. I know how heart wrenching it is to watch someone you love pass away. My Mom was only 48 years old when she passed. She was the only family I had.

I will send you a friend request. Please feel free to chat with me if you ever need some guidance. I will do my best to support you here with your weight loss journey as well as with anything else I can.

:frown:
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options
    Sending you a FR... ALS is a horrible, ugly, awful disease and I'm so sorry for your loss.
  • Preikschas
    Options
    It seems so surreal. I forget that there really is SO many ppl out there that have also suffered a loss and can relate to the pain and sadness I feel.
  • AHealthyMe1lbAtATime
    AHealthyMe1lbAtATime Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Sorry for your loss... hoping this new chapter in your life will help you feel happy again. I know it's hard, but you need to work on you for a while! Add me if you like... I'm here to motivate! :)
  • micheley335
    micheley335 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear about your loss. I think these boards could be a great support system! I've just discovered them this morning but I would love to be friends and support each other along the way!