Calories, metabolism, other things. Please help!

Options
Well hello,

As you can see, this is my first post. I don't really use MFP so I don't have an eating journal. I really need some guidance on my situation. Is a long post so bear with me. I am 19, female, 5'4, 127 pounds. I have been struggling with my weight for about 3 years now. I am what some would call "curvy" but not fat. From when I was little, I used to be able to eat anything without really gaining weight. I also did not care about my appearance until I reached about 15. I then started to watch a little mroe what I ate but I still ate all my meals and played sports. I now eat just a 1,000 calories a day otherwise, I gain weight. From Jan to April, I went down to 112 pounds. People called me all sort of names, saying my figure looked horrible because I have big, muscly legs, anorexic, etc. In May, I decided to gain back to my previous weight because everyone said I looked my best. Now I am back at 127. However, I am always starving. I have always been one to eat enough leaning towards the "a lot" side. My stomach growls all the time. But if I eat even a little bit over, I gain weight. I am also salt sensitive. So if I eat too much salt for a day, I've been able to even gain 8 pounds of water weight in a day. Those do come off a few days later. Anyways, I recently had my thyroid tested, and my levels have ranged from 35 to 47 in the past few years. That's hyperthyroidism. However, I gain weight easily, do not have rapid heart beat, but I do suffer from insomnia, I'm always moody, weak, and tired. So basically my symptoms contrast each other. I don't know what to think. I've been depressed due to this eating lifestyle. I cannot fathom my inability to be able to eat more. I've been able to eat 15,000 calories in a day. That's how hungry I always am. I can eat a full plate now, and an hour later, I'm hungry. I've tried lifting my protein intake, eating more greens, but nothing fills me up. By 1:00 pm, I have usually eaten all my day's calories worth. It truly is frustrating. I work out about 5 times a week. Try to vary with cardio, strength training, etc. I've read all the info on the "starvation mode" and whatnot. I also do eat back my workout calories so, somedays I eat 1200. I've been slowly binging these past few days and can't stop due to hunger. It's not anxiety or emotional. I've tried drinking a glass of water before food, and confuse my stomach and see if its just anxiety, but no. Growls, empty stomach pains is all I get. I've read is common for people who undereat for their stomachs to shrink with time. Mine, the less I eat, the more it expands. My body is so confusing. I don't know what to do. I've done so much research, it's all confusing. Any advice here? Ahh I forgot to mention, I had my BMR tested and it is 1050. I'd like to know how can I lose 5 pounds with only eating 1000 calories. I cannot lower it, otherwise I probably wouldn't function. Any suggestions on why my body behaves this way? Any advice is greatly appreciated. thank you.

Replies

• SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Okay, BMR is the number you should never go below. That's the number if you were in a coma, you would consume to function. You're 19, you probably gain easy because your body is still growing? Just a guess, I'm not a doctor.

You most certainly shouldn't have to eat 1200 calories. I'm going to guess your goal should be more focused on fat loss and not scale loss. The scale is meaningless. It really is. I've gained 3 lbs in the past three months and haven't changed measurements. I highly recommend picking up into weightlifting or some form of resistance training program. Fuel your body. Like, find a calculator for your TDEE and stick to X calories for several weeks. Weight fluctuates as much as 5 lbs in a single day, that's not fat gain it's water, undigested food, etc. Here's a good read

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

I'm 5'3.5" and maintain around 2250 calories. We're all different, so I know my numbers will be different from yours but there should be no reason for you to eat so little.

Focus on the mirror and measurements. Have patience. Eat!
  • sin485
    sin485 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Just my opinion but this could be down to you not eating enough. I suffered with an eating disorder and this is something that i struggled with. It is a horrible experience but once i started eating more it got better. The binging stopped and i dont feel so out of control around food.
  • reynna27
    reynna27 Posts: 3
    Options
    @sugarylynx I always use measuring tape along with the scale because I know my scale isn't always right. I did gain 3 inches in a month in my thighs! I 've been doing a lot of running, but I doubt its mass from that.

@sin485 I've tried upping my calorie intake and it still doesn't work. It really sucks.
  • GlenQu
    GlenQu Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Do you have a sample of a daily diet you follow could post?
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Time to tell your doctor everything you just wrote?
  • MaggieLoo79
    MaggieLoo79 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Time to tell your doctor everything you just wrote?

^^ This.

Start lifting weights and building muscle. That will raise your BMR.
  • reynna27
    reynna27 Posts: 3
    Options
    @JaneiR26 I know! I got a referral for an endocrinologist but all the ones in my area, either don't take my insurance or they are full until sept/oct. That's a long time!

@GelnQU breakfast: eggs or egg whites with ham or bacon, oatmeal with cheese, 3 pita bread toasts, fruit protein smoothies, crackers with jelly. ( those are my main common types of breakfasts, but not all on the same day )
    lunch: tuna or salmon, spinach, chicken, veggie burgers or smoothies.
    Snacks: usually 100 cals popcorn bags ( i admit sometimes i eat two), pita crackers, sandwich, or protein smoothies.

By lunch, I have usually eaten all my calories. Breakfast usually o between 400-500 cals, snacks between around 200 cals, and 300 cals for lunch.
    I also suffer from insomnia so some days I snack at night, so I have to cut back during the day to make up for those calories. Another thing, I wake up extra early because my biological clock is messed up. I'm up by 6 (I don't work right now and don't have college due to summer). So my days are really long especially since I have to stay home).

Advice?
  • Chickee8586
    Chickee8586 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    That's only 1000 calories a day. You need to eat more.