Exercising every day, Under calories, and gaining weight

Options
Hey there, long time user first time poster.
I've been on an exercise/diet kick after gaining thirty pounds and then losing fifteen and struggling to lose the last fifteen.
I've made a commitment to giving up regular transportation means for bicycling so I'm on the bike for at least an hour every day, I'm making excuses to do vigorous housework, and I recently started going back to planet fitness and doing the thirty minute work out, I try to do it twice while I'm there.
And as far as my diet... Most days I'm under my calorie goal... but there are some days where I go over... But still the app says I'm under my weekly expectation.
So all in all I've already burned twice my expected calorie goal (and it's only Thursday) and I'm still under my expected calorie goal for the week.
So I started the week at 143 and now I'm at 145. And I'm really freaking out about this. Everyone says that it's muscle but I just couldn't fathom two pounds in a week. I don't know. I guess a better question is when do I see results?

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    1 week a journey does not make.
  • BreederUK
    BreederUK Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Any number of factors. But as said above its just been a week.
    Your body may be retaining more water due to the increased exercise. If you're not seeing fat loss in a month then you should re-evaluate.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Give it a couple of weeks consistently logging and exercising. Not less than a week. Weight fluctuates as much as 5 lbs in a single day and starting a new routine, your body will hold water weight for repair, or you haven't had a bowel movement in awhile... you're not building muscle, so put that thought out
  • Kirstie155
    Kirstie155 Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    *Don't give up!*

I did not exercise or log my food. Then I decided I was tired of being fat...so....
    I started doing Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30, 5 times a week and walking my dog at least 1.5 miles everyday. On my Jillian rest days, doggie and I walked 4 miles.
    I didn't lose for the first THREE WEEKS. And I weigh myself usually 3 times a day. That was torture.

I feel ya, really I do. There was a time I was exhausted and sore from my workout and hopped on the scale just to see I had gained 2 pounds from when I started three weeks prior. It is soul crushing, and you want to put your fat comfy pants on and dive in to some mac and cheese and ice cream, cause hey! if I'm gonna be fat anyway might as well enjoy it, right?

This is week four for me. I lost the 2 pounds gained, and 2 extra. I am also stronger at my workout video, and have more endurance for my walks with my dog. My clothes are a little loose.

Your body retains water, burns fat, build muscles, and changes in all kind of magical ways when you first start working out.
    Don't give up without a proper try. You didn't gain the weight in a week, you wont lose it that fast either. Keep up the workouts. Watch what you eat. Give it a month. Take pictures.

Good luck!

ETA; my ticker goes back to September 2013. I fell off the wagon and in the past month started up again.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    It's not 2 pounds of muscle. Well intentioned, but just not possible to gain 2lbs of muscle in one week. Considering you've really upped your exercise routine this week, and maintained a calorie deficit, it is certainly water gain. It's true that with a new, vigorous exercise routine (and even as you progress), your muscles will retain water (and good stuff--glycogen? I think it's called) to repair themselves after activity--and that's a good thing. That's how strength, endurance, and healthy weight loss occurs.

Someone more eloquent and knowledgeable will hopefully explain that better, but that's the gist of how it works. Relax (easier said than done, oh I know) and try not to be a slave to scale. Maintain what you're doing, and check in with your scale in a week or two (and tape measure, too--very good to spot check 1-2x a month).
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    No it's not muscle its a normal daily variation (which can be up to 5 pounds). Also starting a new exercise regime you'll retain water. If you're going to freak out at every normal fluctuation maybe weigh less often. Check that you are weighing and logging food accurately then just keep doing what you're doing.

Heres a good link to ensure accuracy in your logging

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating and are you eating back at least half your exercise calories??
    The last 15lbs they reckon (on various posts on MFP), that you should be looking to lose 0.5lbs a week because it will be the slowest to come off, what did you put into MFP as your weight loss that you want each week (has it given you the default 1200 calories and you're not eating enough)??
  • EDDK92
    EDDK92 Posts: 2
    Options
    I eat anywhere between 800 and 1000 calories a day. I try to keep myself at a daily deficit.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    I eat anywhere between 800 and 1000 calories a day. I try to keep myself at a daily deficit.
    you're not accurately logging then.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

Well, it seems we've identified the problem. Your MFP calorie goal includes a deficit, you don't need to go lower, and you should be eating back a portion of your exercise calories. Calorie goal should be set to lose 1/2 lb per week.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

You're doing it wrong.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Definitely not gaining muscle on 800-1000 cals a day. :noway:

Agree that a week is too soon to tell anything. And a two pound gain in a week is totally normal - I weigh daily and my weight changes daily - up, down, back up, down, down again, up.....but my clothes still fit. :bigsmile: Hormones, new workouts, sodium/water retention - all sorts of things will change the numbers on the scale, but not give you a true reflection of any progress you're making.

Accurate logging, realistic goals, rest days (your title says exercise every day, do you ever take a day off?).....and the proper amount of cals - as another poster said, the daily goal you're given already has you at a deficit, so there's no need to come in way UNDER goal every day.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options

Respectfully, something's not right here. You're either eating far over those numbers, or if you are eating only that, you're only doing more harm than good (and giving yourself a very unrealistic goal). If you are at the activity level you stated in the OP, you're TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) is likely in the 2800-3000 kcal range. Eating double (or more) of what you do now (assuming 800-1000 is accurate) would still lead to significant weight loss.

Again, I respectfully say that if what you say is accurate, you're doing it wrong. You have very little weight to lose; 0.5 lb a week pace is the healthy, appropriate, and sustainable way to do it.
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    weight_loss_plateau.jpg
    Ah poo...stoopiiid too big picture! lol
  • miss_phat_booty
    Options
    You know you can step on your scale 3 times a day and probably get 3 different weight amounts. I say that to say, maybe try taking measurements instead?

I suggest you read some of those sticky topics like your guide to sexypants.
  • dnestle05
    dnestle05 Posts: 1
    Options
    Only weigh yourself once a week. We gain and lose water weight daily and depending on what types of gassy veggies you're eating or salty foods that retain water your weight will fluctuate one to two pounds throughout the day/week. Also take a look at the exercises you are doing and decide if they are better for losing weight or for building muscle, because there can be a big difference. :) I hope that helps!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Respectfully, something's not right here. You're either eating far over those numbers, or if you are eating only that, you're only doing more harm than good (and giving yourself a very unrealistic goal). If you are at the activity level you stated in the OP, you're TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) is likely in the 2800-3000 kcal range. Eating double (or more) of what you do now (assuming 800-1000 is accurate) would still lead to significant weight loss.

Again, I respectfully say that if what you say is accurate, you're doing it wrong. You have very little weight to lose; 0.5 lb a week pace is the healthy, appropriate, and sustainable way to do it.

Yep - this right here ^