Rant

6Janelle13
6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
edited September 22 in Health and Weight Loss
After seeing a post about celebrities body's that inspire us I was curious and did a web search for some of the top female stars height and weight. Not to knock them but seriously most of the stars seem unhealthy based on height and weight statistics. (Check out the page below. )

http://www.docshop.com/2009/01/20/height-and-weight-of-americas-top-female-celebrities-how-do-you-compare-to-your-favorite-hollywood-starlets

But here is my problem, I want to look as good as they do so does that mean I may have to be unhealthy to do it?

Replies

• lmvolk
    lmvolk Posts: 51 Member
    yes
  • Dlibo1013
    Dlibo1013 Posts: 883 Member
    Well i try and stay as positive as possible but I agree with you 100% on this one. My reason however is different most of those people are not Role Models and represent nothing i want my kdis to grow in too. I prefer looking at all the lovely Average Joanne's and Joe's on here who are doing wonderful and make this country the great place it is. :-):wink:
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    I think it's fine to use celebs and others as inspiration but definitely NOT as a goal. Everyone's body is different so if we can get to a healthy weight and body fat % I think we'll as be pleased regardless of how we compare to the celeb flavor of the month.
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    omg... there were two people on that last at one 130 and mariah carey who's 140... omg...
  • kls1628
    kls1628 Posts: 23 Member
    Yep. You want to look skinny like a model? You're going to be underweight, end of story. I like looking at female athletes for inspiration instead. Personal favorites are Maria Sharapova and Gabrielle Reece. They have very little body fat, but are very fit and toned. In my opinion, healthy female athletes inspire me to exercise and play a sport- not simply get as skinny as possible before keeling over. You need strength and energy to play tennis, soccer, volleyball, etc.
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    The only one close to healthy on the whole list is Mariah Carey, I'm the same hight and I know at 140 I'd look ill. At 150 I see ribs....
  • Ya pretty much.

You also have to consider how much time, effort and money they dump into looking the way they do. Personal trainers, chefs, nutritionist, dietitians...etc... they have it all. The rest of us normal folk don't have all those services on demand for our every whim. Aspiring to look like them is a never ending uphill battle.
  • phitme
    phitme Posts: 124
    Many celebs have to be stupid skinny for their jobs, just to stay relevant in their industry.

I enjoyed that thread as I like to have a goal & admire some of the physiques contained in those pics but I know that at 5'0, I am not meant to look like Kim Kardashian or any model. I look to them for inspiration and that is all.

I want to be fit, healthy & yes, wear a smaller jean size. I refuse to say that I'll never be "that" small or that I'll never wear "that size". I want to just keep plugging away & get to where my body is truly healthy & fit. And yes, I hope that is somewhere south of a size 6.
  • Wow. I'm 5'6" and my goal weight is 125 lbs and there are people on that list that are 2-3" taller than me and weight 10-15 lbs less than my goal weight! I can't really imagine that! It doesn't seem healthy.
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Yep. You want to look skinny like a model? You're going to be underweight, end of story. I like looking at female athletes for inspiration instead. Personal favorites are Maria Sharapova and Gabrielle Reece. They have very little body fat, but are very fit and toned. In my opinion, healthy female athletes inspire me to exercise and play a sport- not simply get as skinny as possible before keeling over. You need strength and energy to play tennis, soccer, volleyball, etc.

I agree completely. I posted this topic both for conversation and perspective. I don't want to be stick thin and unhealthy but when these are the "beauty benchmarks" something is really off. Most of my goals involve being strong and healthy for my future family and my patients at the hospital, however we all look at these folks and i found it interesting when you see thier numbers how unhealthy it really seems
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    While it's not exactly the same topic, this vid makes a good (and related) point. Scary how our goals are influenced. I try to be inspired by people like my great grandma, who lived to 94, not celebrities. Because usually what we see of them is unrealistic or even actually unattainable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTlmho_RovY&sns=fb
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Of course you're assuming those numbers are accurate. I'd be willing to bet most are a little exaggerated, on the low side that is. Come on, Pam Anderson, 5'7" @ 105? In her bra maybe. :huh:

Hilary Duff 105? Maybe when she was 13. Lately she's definitely "puffier" than that.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    I watched "killing us softly" it was really interesting. I also like this website: http://www.mybodygallery.com/
    It reminds me that my main concern should be being healthy and strong, and not about a number on a scale or some unattainable ideal.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    I watched "killing us softly" it was really interesting. I also like this website: http://www.mybodygallery.com/
    It reminds me that my main concern should be being healthy and strong, and not about a number on a scale or some unattainable ideal.

Amen!
  • liscar
    liscar Posts: 311 Member
    ha ha my driver's license says I'm 135 and everyone knows that's not true :)

We are all different......you, and everyone else, can look exceptionally hot, sexy and healthy and we'll ALL have different numbers. Heck my bones weigh more than Duffy lol. I say look at them for what you find sexy and want to look at .....but KNOW your numbers are going to be your numbers when you look the same:flowerforyou:
  • roylawrence87
    roylawrence87 Posts: 970 Member
    I hate skinny b*tches. Sorry ladies. If you look like these women, I won't talk to you. Sorry... Not a way to be healthy. Its just one the things wrong now a days.
  • Those articles about hollywood are meant to make us feel like we'll never measure up. Bah. I'd rather be sane than rich.
  • Sasssy69
    Sasssy69 Posts: 547 Member
    Whenever I see a Victoria's Secret model on TV, I want to buy her a sandwich and a robe. She looks so...cold, what with all that wind blowing on her, and being almost naked. It makes me sad for her. I wonder when the last time she had a nice warm meal was. I feel bad for them. I want to feed them. My boyfriend wants to buy them a car. So sad. :wink:
This discussion has been closed.