Do I HAVE to do cardio to lose weight?

I'm reading everywhere that either I do or I don't so It's kind of confusing. I just want to know if it's possible for me to depend solely on strength training and calorie deficit, because in all honestly, cardio makes me lose motivation to lose weight! It's just so tedious and takes so long that I lose motivation and I get lazy pretty quickly. However, with strength training I'm only doing about 30 minutes, it's not all this jumping around, and I just prefer it a lot more to doing any cardio. I also feel like I get a better workout because my heart rate is up the entire 30 minutes. I'll be spending a lot of time at home for the next few months since I'm taking classes online, don't have a car right now, and I'm staying in a small town with not much to do and no trails to walk. I definitely won't be getting a lot of walking done so I'm wondering if I should still be adding in cardio because of that or if it's okay to do strength training 3x a week to lose weight. Thank you!!:)

Replies

• wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    nope, just calorie deficit. Some people tend to do cardio because they either like it or they want to be able to eat more. Well, it's good for your heart, too.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    You don't have to do anything to lose weight except eat at a calorie deficit.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    No, but it would help.
  • I'm not an expert, but adding cardio to my regime definitely helped me see results faster. You don't have to strictly do cardio, but adding a little here and there paired with eating right and weight training does wonders!!
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Are you sure your heart rate stays up the whole 30 mins compared to it not during cardio?! Doing steady state cardio should maintain a high heart rate, compared to strength training where you start and stop to get new weights, change position etc.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    yes. you could.

BUT- a balanced fitness program will include SOME sort of cardio and weight training.

weight training is to maintain muscle mass- so you maximize fat loss.
    cardio is for your heart (that whole cardio vascular thing)

both can help with your calorie deficit

but weight loss comes solely from calorie deficits. so HOW you make that happen is up to you.. but as long as you are making it happen in safe and efficient manner- you're fine.

Also if you don't like traditional running/elliptical- try zumba- or jump rope- or a kick boxing class. Or go rock climbing or hiking- tons of ways to get your cardio on without doing "traditional" cardio.

(I chase my bf's dog around the yard and we play with a tennis ball- I don't log it but I few it as "cardio" )
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Wolfsbayne is correct. As long as you are in a calorie deficit you'll lose weight. But cardio comes into play once you are eating in a deficit for some time and rather than eating even less, you can add cardio to use up additional calories and thus putting you into a further deficit (other way is to eat even less but at some point it becomes miserable so adding cardio can be easier). Also, cardio is good for general health etc.

That's how I approach it anyway.
  • esanford2
    esanford2 Posts: 23 Member
    Nope. However, it can speed of the weight loss process if you do cardio while eating at a deficit.
  • reddz12
    reddz12 Posts: 350 Member
    Not necessarily, but who wants to be skinny and flabby? I work out to look better, be stronger and get healthier all around!! Good luck!
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    No.
  • MAOWP
    MAOWP Posts: 3 Member
    http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

It works, try it you will not regret it I promise.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    No exercise is necessary to lose weigh, but why not make a change that improves your overall health? Strength training is great, but cardio improves your stamina and strength too. Maybe you just need to find something you enjoy.....
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Nope.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Just for perspective, I've been lifting heavy for about 7 months now and have lost 20 lbs. I do cardio MAYBE twice a month for about 20 minutes. I eat at a moderate caloric deficit. So, the weight loss is slow, but my body looks better than it ever has.
  • jason_adams
    jason_adams Posts: 187 Member
    No you don't have to. Lots of people have had great success loosing weight by simply eating at a deficit.
    I'm not one of them. I like to eat. Exercising is not only good for me in and of itself, but it also means I can eat more and still loose weight! I like this because, my wife is a wonderful cook and I like to eat her cooking!
    I still track my calories though. Getting to "eat more" because of exercise is a not an unlimited free for all. But a one hour run in the morning moves my calories allowed from 1800-2800. 1000 calories is a LOT of Oreos!! (as someone said in another thread)

Bottom line: find what's right for you. Enjoyable and sustainable.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Weight loss = Calorie Deficit
    Heart health = Cario exercises (walking, running, cycling, etc.)
    Body comp and toning = Strength exercise

A healthy way to lose weight is a combination of everything.

Want to lose weight, eat less!

Want to lose weight and become fitter, stronger, healthier, eat less and exercise!
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    agree with all of the above mostly.
    you don't need exercise to lose weight

you do need exercise for overall health
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

It works, try it you will not regret it I promise.

Good if it works for you.

Like most restricting diets, not suited for everyone.
  • conqueringsquidlette
    conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
    Not to lose weight. Cardio is for your heart and lungs, not your waistline.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Not necessarily, but who wants to be skinny and flabby? I work out to look better, be stronger and get healthier all around!! Good luck!

Whoa whoa whoa, I don't do any cardio besides walking, and I don't think I'm skinny and flabby!