Do I HAVE to do cardio to lose weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Not to lose weight. Cardio is for your heart and lungs, not your waistline.
    \

Eh.

Cardio isnt needed but it most def helps burn calories which in turn can help your waistline.

Plus, looove looking at those runners legs!
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Negative. Just a calorie deficit. I lost 20 lbs my first year as a mom without setting foot to pavement or gym. All I did was eat a little less.
  • BarbieFromHellx
    BarbieFromHellx Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, you don't have to exercise as long as you create a good calorie deficit for the week :)

I find that if I do regular cardio, my weight loss is much faster and I can get away with eating a bit more too.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I'm reading everywhere that either I do or I don't so It's kind of confusing. I just want to know if it's possible for me to depend solely on strength training and calorie deficit, because in all honestly, cardio makes me lose motivation to lose weight! It's just so tedious and takes so long that I lose motivation and I get lazy pretty quickly. However, with strength training I'm only doing about 30 minutes, it's not all this jumping around, and I just prefer it a lot more to doing any cardio. I also feel like I get a better workout because my heart rate is up the entire 30 minutes. I'll be spending a lot of time at home for the next few months since I'm taking classes online, don't have a car right now, and I'm staying in a small town with not much to do and no trails to walk. I definitely won't be getting a lot of walking done so I'm wondering if I should still be adding in cardio because of that or if it's okay to do strength training 3x a week to lose weight. Thank you!!:)

Please clarify what cardio are we talking about here?

Though I agree Calorie Deficit is "the" thing. If you want to create a greater deficit - Cardio is your answer.

It's like reaching your destination faster.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    Mmm... in my experience - no you don't HAVE to do it. I've read that all you NEED is a calorie deficit. But I've also read that excercise (cardio) is the only way to lose visceral fat (the fat encasing your organs). A proper diet reduces your "external" fat. I read this stuff on SparkPeople and WeightWatchers so I believe it, but you might want to do more research.

For me, I'm only starting to try to include it now when I'm 8 months into my efforts. Would it help if the cardio had a purpose? For example, can you walk to and from the grocery store instead of driving? You'd get the cardio plus a bit of weight lifting. Having a purpose other than the activity itself helps me. I'm also considering going paddle boating with friends and have joined sports teams. It feels less tedious that way. But to each their own!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily, but who wants to be skinny and flabby? I work out to look better, be stronger and get healthier all around!! Good luck!

she's doing weight training.

the presence or absence of cardio neither makes you skinny or flabby or NOT skinny and flabby.

I don't under stand your post.
  • molonlabe762
    molonlabe762 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    nope, just calorie deficit. Some people tend to do cardio because they either like it or they want to be able to eat more. Well, it's good for your heart, too.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

It works, try it you will not regret it I promise.

Good if it works for you.

Like most restricting diets, not suited for everyone.

Exactly. For those of us (most of us) who are not sensitive to carbs, this would be horrible and highly counterproductive.

OP: As others have said, cardio is for cardiovascular health, and will give you some extra calories, so you can get more food - and thus nutrients - into you. Resistance training is vital, as well, to retain your lean body mass as you lose weight.

Best of luck!
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Nope, don't have to do any, if you don't want. Good that you're incorporating strength training--I think lifting all the heavy things is pure BLISS!

As many have said, cardio is for your heart health, and makes for more food you "get" to eat while maintaining a deficit. For me, no cardio = 1400 cals a day = HANGRY! 3-4 hours a week of mixed cardio (moderate/intense, things I like to do) means 1600-1650 cals a day. Doesn't sound like much difference, but I'm much happier, saner, and stronger for going this route, while maintaining a healthy weight loss.
  • reddz12
    reddz12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily, but who wants to be skinny and flabby? I work out to look better, be stronger and get healthier all around!! Good luck!

Whoa whoa whoa, I don't do any cardio besides walking, and I don't think I'm skinny and flabby!

I'm not saying everyone is, depending on where your starting weight was.... in my instance.. if i just lost weight.. thats exactly how i'd look :-( I meant nothing malicious with my comment
  • cokefloat1
    cokefloat1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Think you need to find the right kind of cardio. I know a couple that are good....!

Tennis and Dance Central you dirty minded people!
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Weight loss = Calorie Deficit
    Heart health = Cario exercises (walking, running, cycling, etc.)
    Body comp and toning = Strength exercise

A healthy way to lose weight is a combination of everything.

I think this an excellent summary. I like cardio because it makes me feel healthy, and powerful. I went from not being able to run a block without being winded to being able to run close to a 5k. (actually running my first 5k next month!)

Find a form of cardio you like, it's not just running! Try biking, rowing, hiking, etc. and find something you enjoy doing. If you enjoy it, it's easier to stick too!
  • amw1919
    amw1919 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I used to be exactly like you! I HATED cardio with a passion and swore by strength training. Until I gave cardio another try and saw how much faster the results came for me. The important thing for me is to make it enjoyable and mix it up. My fiance and I will cycle for 2-3 hours and have a great time while doing it - all the while burning lots of calories. Or I'll get into a tv series and do the elliptical while watching an episode. I just have to keep my mind off of the fact that I'm doing cardio. Also, as mentioned before, it allows you to eat more calories on those hungry days! Good luck!!
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I used to be exactly like you! I HATED cardio with a passion and swore by strength training. Until I gave cardio another try and saw how much faster the results came for me. The important thing for me is to make it enjoyable and mix it up. My fiance and I will cycle for 2-3 hours and have a great time while doing it - all the while burning lots of calories. Or I'll get into a tv series and do the elliptical while watching an episode. I just have to keep my mind off of the fact that I'm doing cardio. Also, as mentioned before, it allows you to eat more calories on those hungry days! Good luck!!
    I have a love / hate relationship with cardio. I love to do it outside in the right conditions but hate doing it inside or in bad weather or outside once it gets dark. I agree on switching it up too. Sometimes I'll run different distances or walk my dogs a couple of miles. Other times I'll use my rowing machine or hit a heavy bag. I need to do more of all of the above though, time management is the enemy though as I only have a limited time before it starts gettting dark after work.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Cardio is not as bad as you make it seem when you find something that you love to do. I get soooo bored quick of just the basic walking or even workout programs that are suppose to last a month or 2. After week to I am totally bored and need something different. Now I am doing zumba on my wii. It is fun to me and its like normal dancing. Maybe get in the pool. Summer time is coming and we all love the pool or the beach. Walking gets boring but it is super easy. It couldn't hurt to keep looking for something that you love, before totally disregarding all cardio. It is not necessary for weight loss, but it is very good for your health and it does give you more of a deficit to work with. 20 minutes 2-3 days a week simply cannot be that bad.
  • blb85
    blb85 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I just posted on your other topic that you posted regarding "not seeing much of a difference in body/weight" and I know you want to lose 2 lbs a week... The only way you will come close to that number is by doing cardio as well! You need to create a calorie deficit that comes from nutrition (usually 250 deficit a day) and exercise (another 250 deficit a day) for a 500 deficit a day which adds up to 3,500 a week (3,500 calories = 1 pound). You do the math.

I recommend checking-out a website like this: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ so you know an estimate of your metabolism is a day, and go from there.
  • 1911JR
    1911JR Posts: 276
    Options
    I'm reading everywhere that either I do or I don't so It's kind of confusing. I just want to know if it's possible for me to depend solely on strength training and calorie deficit, because in all honestly, cardio makes me lose motivation to lose weight! It's just so tedious and takes so long that I lose motivation and I get lazy pretty quickly. However, with strength training I'm only doing about 30 minutes, it's not all this jumping around, and I just prefer it a lot more to doing any cardio. I also feel like I get a better workout because my heart rate is up the entire 30 minutes. I'll be spending a lot of time at home for the next few months since I'm taking classes online, don't have a car right now, and I'm staying in a small town with not much to do and no trails to walk. I definitely won't be getting a lot of walking done so I'm wondering if I should still be adding in cardio because of that or if it's okay to do strength training 3x a week to lose weight. Thank you!!:)

Honestly, the more you read the more confused you will be. Now are you ready for the truth?

Well here it is, trade the time that your reading posts and searching for answers on the internet in for a walk. And if walking is not good in your area. Do some high knees and squats and donkey kicks. So step away from the keyboard and move that body! You can even crank up the music and dance a few songs! Make it fun.......
  • DebbieGo52
    DebbieGo52 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Its that whole calories in, calories out, but you will tone up quicker as muscle takes up 3 times less space. So you will look smaller with less weight loss. I figure you can't go wrong adding cardio, they are lots of different types, find something that you really like.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options

Completely agree! It's so important to find cardio you like - I tried running and I hated it!! Not because it hurt and I struggled, but I just wasnt into it. So in comes a friend who goes to the same gym I do and she suggested I try a spin class. I know spin isn't for everyone, but it's definitely for me! I spin 2-3 days/week and lift 3 days. I love it and for me it works - my butt looks way better and my legs aren't just big, they're shapely ;)

Find what works for you and you will look forward to doing it!