Substitute for margarine/butter?

Options
Hello!

I'm trying to "wean" myself off of margarine or butter on my toast. However, I don't really like eating toast dry, with nothing on it.
Are there any healthier substitutes that can be used as a spread for toast?

Thanks! =)

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you put olive oil in the fridge it will become solid and can be used as a spread. You can add herbs or garlic, if you like.

Peanut butter is delicious on toast. So is a little jelly or honey.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I'm trying to "wean" myself off of margarine or butter on my toast. However, I don't really like eating toast dry, with nothing on it.

Thanks! =)

Drop the "margarine" and stick with the "BUTTER" or you could use Coconut Butter - really nice on toasted bread.

Never mind the calories, eat something natural and cut out the crap somewhere else.
  • lsecula
    lsecula Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    That's a great idea. I use olive oil in place of butter on pasta, but I never thought of refrigerating it and using in on toast that way!
    On toast, sometimes, I'll use a little bit of reduced fat shredded cheese and melt it on or just hot sauce (I like spicy).
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I use butter.
  • ColdPlum
    ColdPlum Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm a more-protein and fat-less-carb type of eater, so I may not have the best response for your here, however I find that coconut oil (which has a fatty-acid chain that assists in weight loss) to be a useful substitute. If you are just trying to lower your overall calorie count however, spreadable honey? Delicious!!! Me - I'd do both, lol.
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Bacon.
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    no-added-sugar jam, peanut or sunflower butter, I used to melt a little swiss cheese on top. What about honey? So many options :)
  • shrinkingshreya
    shrinkingshreya Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Personally -- I hate substitutes for butter they all taste like chemical to me. I use butter only and use it sparingly. I know a lot of people use coconut oil on their toast because it melts very quickly at room temperature and it has some pretty amazing health benefits!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Dump the margarine (and toast), keep the butter. Butter is healthy.
  • Chaskavitch
    Chaskavitch Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Yep, get some organic or grass-fed butter, almond butter, or coconut butter. Real butter is delicious (unless you grew up with margarine and your tastebuds are weird), and if you get it from grass-fed cows, you can reassure yourself that you're getting extra Omega-3 fatty acids, beta carotene, and Vitamin K2 (which helps regulate how your calcium is used and deposited). Almond or coconut butter are also tasty and full of good fats :) Adding them to your toast might help keep you full for longer, so you'll be more satisfied overall.
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I Can't Believe its Not Butter (spray)

zero calories, zero fat, all the taste IMO
  • Ashes_To_Beast
    Ashes_To_Beast Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Yep, get some organic or grass-fed butter, almond butter, or coconut butter. Real butter is delicious (unless you grew up with margarine and your tastebuds are weird), and if you get it from grass-fed cows, you can reassure yourself that you're getting extra Omega-3 fatty acids, beta carotene, and Vitamin K2 (which helps regulate how your calcium is used and deposited). Almond or coconut butter are also tasty and full of good fats :) Adding them to your toast might help keep you full for longer, so you'll be more satisfied overall.

This ^

Organic Butter!!
  • veggie_jilly
    Options
    Some smashed avocado, either plain or mixed with a couple drops of lemon juice, with cracked pepper on top. Not quite the same thing but it's delicious!
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Bacon.

Dammit - I came here to say this!
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    coconut oil is the only thing i use now
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    coconut oil is the only thing i use now

Try the butter, its to die for on toasted bread or even banana bread.. A bit expensive, but what is not expensive these days.
  • caminoslo
    caminoslo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Hello!

Thanks! =)
    Margarine is terrible for a person, butter is ok. I'd say just get rid of the bread. However I'm sure everyone will disagree with me so to answer your real question I used to put Minced garlic on my bread
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    Bacon.

bG4NuW4.gif

OP, if you like butter, just use butter.
    fit it in your macros, and use it sparingly if need be.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I hate it dry. I would just use butter in moderation.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Fit butter into your diary for the day, and forego toxic sludge aka margarine. It's gross.