Substitute for bacon. Help please

Options
It is breakfast time and I'm really hungry. I'm thinking about eating two scrambled eggs and I was wanting bacon with it but one slice is about 100 calories. Does anyone know a substitute for bacon

Replies

• glandis
    glandis Posts: 89
    Options
    You could use canadian bacon. It is lean and only about 40 calories for 2 pieces. Enjoy!
  • klewis1119
    Options
    Thank u that helps a lot. I love bacon I would even skip a meal for it lol so now I don't have to
  • ktbug1186
    ktbug1186 Posts: 266
    Options
    try the morning star vegetarian sausages...those are yummy and 80 cals for two!
  • cozzy530
    Options
    If you have a BJ's wholesale or Costco get a bag of bacon Bits, It has 50% less fat that a slice of bacon and i use it in my scrambled eggs. You can find smaller bags at most super Markets. If you have them out where you are I also recommend Thomas bagel thins, 110 calories and makes a nice breakfast sandwich.
  • medic_632
    Options
    turkey bacon is just as good and much lower in fat and calories.
  • PokenStick
    Options
    Try turkey bacon...doesn't taste nearly as good but still gives you the illusion of bacon.
  • AllietheLOSER
    AllietheLOSER Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I agree with the turkey bacon....3 slices of butterball "bacon" are 75 calories. Delish!
  • egbkid
    egbkid Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I love turkey bacon better than regular bacon, and here it is cheaper, to!!! I have been eating it almost daily solely for a source of protean, since i do not eat a lot of meat.
  • ican♥and♥iwill
    ican♥and♥iwill Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    The Oscar Meyer Center Cut bacon isn't too bad - 3 slices for 70 calories. It's a little pricier, but if you really want bacon, it's worth it IMO!

And it's REAL bacon!
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    My hormel maple bacon is 80 calories for two slices. I enjoy it every morning. Hope this helps :)

Charmagne
  • lahina99
    lahina99 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I would go with Canadian Bacon. It takes great and has low calories and high protein. I would try and stay away from bacon bits (they're just processed soy proteins with sugar and food coloring). Turkey bacon is a decent option but also has a lot of fillers. If you really want the bacon taste, the center cut bacon discussed above is a good lower calorie option and you'll feel more satisfied having had "real" bacon. Hope this helps!
  • allthatnme
    allthatnme Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    The other day I read it was better to eat regular bacon just choose a better quality of it. Another thing you may wanna look at with the turkey bacon is the sodium.
  • anovasjo
    anovasjo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I have a weird bacon substitute (since I'm a vegan): thinly sliced, crispy eggplant. It can be crumbled up on a caesar salad, put on a BLT, or enjoyed as a side.
    Four 1-ounce slices of fried, seasoned eggplant "bacon" is about 87 calories, 0 mg cholesterol, with 20 mg potassium!

Just my 2cents :glasses:
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    The Oscar Meyer Center Cut bacon isn't too bad - 3 slices for 70 calories. It's a little pricier, but if you really want bacon, it's worth it IMO!

And it's REAL bacon!

I totally agree!!:bigsmile: Turkey bacon tastes rather strange to me!
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I use turkey bacon instead (Butterball brand in specific). It doesn't taste the same but it is a good substitute and like 25 calories a slice! You can find it with the regular bacon at the grocery store. I actually like it better than regular bacon!
  • jdelisle
    jdelisle Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    I love Lilydale Daystarters. They are only 25 calories a slice (huge slices at that) and have a heck of a lot less sodium than other types of turkey bacon (plus it's real cuts of meat, not bologna style like the others).
  • kathdela
    kathdela Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    100 per slice?!

I get hormel black label and it's only 80 for 2 slices.
  • medic_632
    Options
    turkey bacon tastes great....someone said something about sodium BUT Butterball now has a "everyday" series that has Low Sodium and it tastes great...my entire family eats it and the kids like it better than regular bacon. I still ike a good piece of crispy fatty bacon BUT i will go for the center cut higher quality of i get regular bacon....otherwise i stick to the turkey low sodium version and its great.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,417 Member
    Options
    I like Oscar Meyer Turkey bacon better than Butterball but that's my opinion. Canadian bacon is good but is high in sodium. I'll also chop us some lower sodium ham and throw it in with my egg whites for a scrambled omelette (I don't have the patience for a regular omelette!). I'm gonna try that center cut bacon, my kids hate turkey bacon and give me sad puppy dog eyes that we don't have "pig bacon".
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I actually like Turkey Bacon better than regular. I hate the fatty little pieces in bacon and Turkey doesn't really have that. Just stay far far away from the Jennie O turkey bacon. It's TERRIBLE.