New Diabetic seeking help balancing carbs & fat..

I have been recently diagnosed as a diabetic. I also have heart failure. I am having trouble balancing my diet and am looking for some help or ideas. Seems like when I eat low carb...my fat % goes way up which is just as bad for me. How do I eat low carb and low fat? (also need low sodium) I know I am probably picking the wrong foods (like cheese) but sometimes it is hard to find something tasty that is high protein and low fat/low sodium. Hence, why I need help...lol

Any friends with diaries or ideas would be welcome. Thank you

Replies

• Caharleygirl
    Caharleygirl Posts: 110 Member
    no other diabetics out there???
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    I am sure there are lots of them here. I am prediabetic, have PCOS and post menopausal. You can add me if you like.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    I am a "new" diabetic, too, but I find that controlling my fat and my sodium is very difficult. My major concern right now is working to get rid of my weight and getting my carbs under control--I'm decreasing the percentage in my profile again tomorrow and seeing how well I do with that for the rest of the summer. Once I get my cabs under control I'll work a little harder on the other things, I guess, although I'm already starting to use the reduced sodium version of things.

Good luck in your new lifestyle. If you're anything like me, sometimes you'll just feel as if you're banging your head against the wall in frustration over life suddenly being so complicated. Take it one step at a time and, unless your doctor tells you otherwise, on change at a time. That's what I'm doing and it seems a little less threatening that way.
  • since you are doing low carb, statistically most of your calories, rather than coming from carbs, will obviously be coming from your protein and fats if you are looking at your pie graph or reports. Incorporate protein powders into your diet, as well as more lean meats and egg whites if you really want to avoid fat and extra carbs. (if you are eating "healthy fats" then I wouldn't worry too much about your fat % as it won't affect fat loss given you're still in a caloric deficit.)

feel free to add me if you want to get some ideas from my diary as I eat low carb as well because of PCOS and other health related issues.
  • NutmegPudge
    NutmegPudge Posts: 5 Member
    I'm also a newly diagnosed diabetic and running into the same problem. I'm also vegetarian and am going to try to start adding protein shakes so I am not as reliant on eggs and dairy.
    There is a diabetes group that might be helpful.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    You're going to have to eat plenty of fats to keep your carb intake down while meeting your energy needs.

High fat intake in the context of a low carb diet is not a problem regarding your lipid profile and heart risk - CVD risk markers improve on low carb high fat moderate protein diets.

So the answer to the apparent conundrum is to control the carbs, get a sensible amount of protein from oily / fatty sources and lose your fear of fat.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    You're going to have to eat plenty of fats to keep your carb intake down while meeting your energy needs.

High fat intake in the context of a low carb diet is not a problem regarding your lipid profile and heart risk - CVD risk markers improve on low carb high fat moderate protein diets.

So the answer to the apparent conundrum is to control the carbs, get a sensible amount of protein from oily / fatty sources and lose your fear of fat.

Relatively new T2D here..diagnosed last April & I'm 46 (if that makes a difference).
    I completely agree with the post above....bloodsugar101.com helped me a great deal.
    Good luck, the only thing that keeps me within my blood sugar goals is fat.

Who'd a thunk it??

Not my endo, for sure :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

edited for duh typos
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    I don't think the OP necessarily has a "fear of fats." The American Diabetes Association continuously reminds people that diabetics need to control their fat intake. They are always recommending "lean meats" over any other kind, as well as skim milk and so on down the line. I agree, there's a difficulty in getting energy with both low carbs and low fats, but somehow diabetics are expected to manage. (I'll still take the fats over the carbs.)
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    I don't think the OP necessarily has a "fear of fats." The American Diabetes Association continuously reminds people that diabetics need to control their fat intake. They are always recommending "lean meats" over any other kind, as well as skim milk and so on down the line. I agree, there's a difficulty in getting energy with both low carbs and low fats, but somehow diabetics are expected to manage. (I'll still take the fats over the carbs.)

I certainly did...that is, until I started eating to my meter & I saw the difference it made in my BG levels.
    After being told for my entire life that low fat was the only way to eat healthy, it was tough for me personally to swim upstream, so to speak.

I'm with you buddy....I'll take the fat over carbs any day of the week!
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member

I certainly did...that is, until I started eating to my meter & I saw the difference it made in my BG levels.
    After being told for my entire life that low fat was the only way to eat healthy, it was tough for me personally to swim upstream, so to speak.

I'm with you buddy....I'll take the fat over carbs any day of the week!

I have reactive hypoglycemia, hypogonadism (low T), and at one point labelled with Crohn's (though the latter is under review as another GI is questioning the diagnose), so I feel I can relate.

With reactive hypo, simple sugars will send my body into a roller coaster ... highs and lows. This is not a fun experience.

The high carb (50%), low fat (20%), moderate protein (30% protein) recommendation by the ADA can work, in my experience, can work if the high carbs are low, to moderate GI with high fiber (in particular high soluble fiber) ... e.g. lima beans/lentils, grapefruits. However, I feel some people find this hard to follow because they want to have their cake. So, it is easier for me, to forgo the carbs and eat more fat. Hey, everyone is different, so what works for you, may not work for everyone. Good luck on your journey in life.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Your carbohydrate sources will have to be complex carbohydrates and not simple.

So, broccoli, celery, whole wheat, etc. are in.
    White bread, cakes, snack foods, etc. are out.
    Fruits may also need to be removed or minimized.

You will probably want to add a daily multivitamin to help ensure you get proper nutrition throughout the day when forced to minimize many carbohydrates.

Simple carbohydrates are metabolized quickly, which released their sugar very fast and causes spikes in the blood. Complex carbohydrates take more work to metabolize, so their sugars are released slowly in the blood, so no spike.

So long as your pancreas, gall bladder, and duodenum are structurally sound, you shouldn't have any issue with fats. Eat them up.

A benefit of eating more complex carbohydrates beyond not having a blood sugar spike is that when eaten with a fat (think broccoli and ranch dressing) they can help lower cholesterol.

Many members of my family are/were diabetic. My best friend is diabetic. So, I grew up around people managing their diet around it.
  • Ask your physician for a referral to a registered dietitian/diabetes educator, and she'll help you figure out the healthiest way of eating based on your individual situation. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • gcbma
    gcbma Posts: 112 Member
    Type 2 for a year. Metformin only at this point. You can add me/message me if you'd like. Everyone's diabetes and blood sugars are going to be a little different. I at this point, try to match half to all protein with carbs. Ex: 45 carbs, 20 + g of protein. Fats I usually don't pay too much attn. to. I watch mainly carbs and proteins, and sugars. You can do it :-)
  • Caharleygirl
    thanks everyone for the advice and the friend requests...I will definately work on some of these suggestions.

sorry for not responding earlier but my laptop has been down ever since I first posted.

thanks again!!!!
  • Caharleygirl
    oops
  • Caharleygirl
    Ask your physician for a referral to a registered dietitian/diabetes educator, and she'll help you figure out the healthiest way of eating based on your individual situation. ~Lynn /Glucerna

they signed me up for a diabetes education class but it doesn't start til July. I'll probably have it all figured out by then.:laugh:
  • The good news about waiting a month for a diabetes class is that you'll have a whole bunch of questions to ask based on your experience. You might jot down your questions or concerns from now until the class starts so you don't forget anything. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    I was diagnosed in April of this year so I am also new but not new to the disease because my mom has had it for 15 years. I've been to the classes. They are good for newbies and to help get back on track. I'm on metformin and glipizide. I joined a diabetes group here on MFP. Check it out. I've been trying to follow what the doctor said with 1800-2000 calories and 30-45 carbs a meal and 15-30 per snack. Some days I go over a little. I always get enough protein and I don't worry about my fat. I try and keep sodium down. I do have about 100 lbs to lose too. Feel free to add me!
  • Swest01
    Swest01 Posts: 5 Member
    I was just put on Metaformin as well. I don't worry about the fats as much as the carbs. I miss cold beer though.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Controlling the carb intake is the most important aspect of blood glucose control. That said, don't overlook exercise. Regular exercise is helpful with keeping blood glucose in check.