Replies

• albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    drink until your pee is clear...:drinker:
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    You cannot possibly tell somebody how much water to drink on a daily basis without knowing what their activity level is like, if they live in a hot climate, do they work outside, how humid is it, how much do they weigh, what their genetics are.

All you can say with confidence is that they should consume enough water to keep their urine a pale yellow color.

Good advice

I'll add another variable to your list too - amount of water contained in the food you eat

Yup. And acclimatization! The first hot days in the summer I feel terrible when working out hard, but I don't sweat as much or as early. When I'm used to it, I start sweating almost right away - and also seems to be less salty (no streaks).

All sports physios I've seen recommend using pee color as a guide. Of course this goes to hell if you consume beets or something rich in carotenes...
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    You can drink too much, and you can drink too little.

When I was an athlete I noticed a phenomenon where if I started drinking more water on a daily basis, and kept it up for several months, my body would actually start craving that much water. If I drank less, I'd be dehydrated. I eventually did start drinking less and my body adjusted again over a period of a few weeks and months to drinking a lower amount of water. Now I get my 8 glasses a day, a little more if I exercise.

I always go by the color of my pee. If it's dark yellow, more water, if it's light yellow, it's the perfect amount.
  • albayin
    Options
    You can drink too much, and you can drink too little.

When I was an athlete I noticed a phenomenon where if I started drinking more water on a daily basis, and kept it up for several months, my body would actually start craving that much water. If I drank less, I'd be dehydrated. I eventually did start drinking less and my body adjusted again over a period of a few weeks and months to drinking a lower amount of water. Now I get my 8 glasses a day, a little more if I exercise.

I always go by the color of my pee. If it's dark yellow, more water, if it's light yellow, it's the perfect amount.

I read that pro competitors and boxers do use water to trick the body and get that ripped look at their weigh in time..
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    You can get very very sick from drinking too much water .. called Hyponatremia

Basically you water down yourself .. and could potentially die. It has happened.

So .. this you cannot drink too much is a very dangerous idea.

From Wikipedia .... "In the vast majority of cases, hyponatremia occurs as a result of a proportional excess of water relative to the plasma sodium (salt level in the blood)"

My sister used to work in a doctors office and saw people all the time .. that were feeling very bad from having very low sodium levels from drinking too much water.

So much of the advice on this thread .. is just uniformed.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    You cannot possibly tell somebody how much water to drink on a daily basis without knowing what their activity level is like, if they live in a hot climate, do they work outside, how humid is it, how much do they weigh, what their genetics are.

All you can say with confidence is that they should consume enough water to keep their urine a pale yellow color.

Good advice

I'll add another variable to your list too - amount of water contained in the food you eat
    Also what medications you take.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

Basically you water down yourself .. and could potentially die. It has happened.

From Wikipedia .... "In the vast majority of cases, hyponatremia occurs as a result of a proportional excess of water relative to the plasma sodium (salt level in the blood)"

My sister used to work in a doctors office and saw people all the time .. that were feeling very bad from having very low sodium levels from drinking too much water.

Did your sister wear a ... uniform? lol
  • dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Is it okay if I'm drinking more than the 64 oz? Since restarting MFP I've been drinking 64 oz while I'm at work and then I go home and have atleast another 16oz. This is straight water too not any other liquids. Is this okay? I'm not hurting my body am I? Since I've cut out pop I've been happily drinking water often.

Why would you think drinking the daily recommended water intake would hurt your body?

I drink around 200 fl oz a day
  • dmenchac
    Options

Hyponatremia is a rare occurence. Drinking 64 oz of water a day will in no shape or form ever give you hyponatemia.

Can you drink too much water? Absolutely. Will you? 99.999999% no.

I think you are a little "uniformed"
  • albayin
    Options
    I guess it's possible that with enough water you pee a lot and wash out sodium of your system...low sodium could have some side effect but i don't know. I drink a lot of water, like 120 oz a day so far haven't encountered any issue.
  • Steph5535
    Steph5535 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just saw my nutritionist yesterday and she said, as was previously posted, to divide your body weight in half and drink that number of ounces. She also said that for every alcoholic drink and every caffeinated drink you have, you should add 2 glasses of water as alcohol and caffeine are dehydrating. You should also drink more depending on climate and how much exercise you do. I hope that's helpful.
  • dmenchac
    Options
    I just saw my nutritionist yesterday and she said, as was previously posted, to divide your body weight in half and drink that number of ounces. She also said that for every alcoholic drink and every caffeinated drink you have, you should add 2 glasses of water as alcohol and caffeine are dehydrating. You should also drink more depending on climate and how much exercise you do. I hope that's helpful.

Your nutritionist is an idiot and I suggest you get a new one.

The amount of caffeine in your drink will be COMPLETELY negated by the liquid it is in. For example, coffee and soda will still hydrate you. Yes caffience is a diuretic, but not enough to negate the liquid it is in.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/caffeinated-drinks/faq-20057965
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Just drink until your pee is clear. That is all.
  • albayin
    Options
    Just drink until your pee is clear. That is all.

well, taking vitamin b12 might change that ...LOL
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I drink to keep my urine very pale yellow, close to clear as I can.