shopping makes me feel so fat

Options
i hate clothes shopping! i love clothes but i hate shopping! i went to h&m and their sizes are so small. their small, medium and large sizes are too generous but their trousers and dresses are tiny! I saw a pair of "size 8" shorts, but they looked more like a size 4 or a us size 0 or even 00! they were positively miniscule! i thought to myself who on earth can fit into that! the changing room mirrors also make me look really fat! i went to the Gap and I tried on size 12 and size 14 shorts, size 12 wouldn't even do up and size 14 was really tight. i told the fitting room lady that the sizes seem really small and she was like oh really, people say that they're big! im not one of those girls in denial, im a size 12/14. i'd expect 12 to be tight, but 14 to be ok. it makes me feel like such ****! i hate trying on trousers and shorts especially unless their elasticated or leggings. im beginning to think maybe i am a size 16 at this rate!

Replies

• Ruth142014
    Ruth142014 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    H&M sizes are crazy!
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    That's why I shop online. Torrid. <3
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    dont let it get to you, alot of people go through that OP, especially with the ridiculous sizing for womens clothing nowadays.

judging by this and your other posts you dont have very good self esteem... you need to accept yourself for who you are. when you lose that weight you want to you will still be the same person, just smaller. dont let being bigger effect your life to such a great degree, so many others out there are worse off than you.

best of luck to you
  • sugarlemonpie
    sugarlemonpie Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I usually shop at Old Navy or Target. Since I'm still losing weight, I don't want to buy a bunch of 'expensive' clothes that don't fit after a couple of months. But gotta have things I can wear right now! I just know those clothes will tend to fit from their brands.

Sorry about the bad experiences. ): I would say try some other stores. I also love New York & Company, I shop their outlet and they can have some cute stuff for workwear and everyday at reasonable prices. Their sizes are normal as well.
  • bassclef19
    bassclef19 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I was a 12/14 at my heaviest. Even at H&M, certain lines or styles fit differently. You just have to find a store where the clothes are made for you or get a bigger size and have the clothes tailored.

Losing weight is also annoying when it comes to shopping. You are dropping sizes and always having to find clothes that fit or get your clothes taken in. Or walking around in clothes that are too big for you if you can't afford to buy new clothes all the time.

There's no winning... until you get to your goal. So focus on that.. you're hear to make a change so be positive.
    Even at a size 8 things don't fit.. I have to go up a size or two depending on the retailer.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    1. No one sees the number on the tag once you have the clothing on. Buy clothes that fit and flatter your body no matter the size.

2. You need to learn to like yourself no matter what size you are. You don't have to be "ecstatic" over the way you look but don't hate yourself for it.

3. Do what you can to improve your health, and yes, maybe your aesthetics but do so in healthy sustainable, enjoyable manner.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Ugh. Yes, that's why I shop online too. I still remember going into a store once....It might as well have been that store that Julia Roberts went into for the way the 2 sales girls were acting. I picked out a couple of things, went into the dressing room to try them on. Right in the middle of trying on the clothes, I hear coughing from behind the mirror. They had a 2 - way mirror, and the girl who was back there was sick and coughing. I quickly got dressed as discreetly as I could, didn't bother hanging the clothes back up - walked out, handed them to the girl out front, and told her that the next time they have someone watching their customers dress, they should make sure that person doesn't have a cold. She said, "Well it's for store security." I was like, "Do I LOOK like a thief? Would I really bother going into the dressing room to try things on if I were going to steal them?!! Or do I just look too fat to you to be able to wear anything in here????!!!" I was so mad. I don't even remember the name of the store....it was in Louisville though in one of the malls over 20 years ago and I remember it like it was yesterday.
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options

YES!!! Their 12's are a 14/16, makes ya feel skinny!!

It's all about they way the company makes them. Some pants I fit perfectly into a 12, other companies I have to either go up or down a size depending how they're made. Don't be discouraged, if they all had some kind of standardization then we'd all know our true exact size...damn companies! :wink:
  • Enkeli88
    Enkeli88 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Just remember that sizes vary between different shops; they aren't actually standardised properly. Example (with British shops): I can buy size 8 trousers from Warehouse & New Look, size 6 in M&S (not that that happens often), but in TopShop & H&M I'm at least a size 10 and I can never buy trousers from Zara or Mango (my hips are too big for their clothes!). It's partly to do with their target customers - if they're aiming at a teenage market, the clothes tend to come up smaller, as do brands from places like France.

So don't beat yourself up about it & don't take the insensitive comment that the sales assistant made to heart. :)
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    It's just a number. I range anywhere from a 6-12 depending on the article and the shop. It doesn't really bother me because I just want my clothes to look nice and fit properly. The only really bad part about size discrepancies between stores is that it takes more time to find a fit. Don't let a number make you "feel so fat".
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    1. No one sees the number on the tag once you have the clothing on. Buy clothes that fit and flatter your body no matter the size.

I agree! I have a pair of 16 jeans that I still wear, and they are not even remotely loose...even though every other pair of jeans and pants in my closet is a size 12 or juniors 13. I don't even care...but then maybe that's because I used to wear a 22 for a long time. hehe
  • Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    dont let it get to you, alot of people go through that OP, especially with the ridiculous sizing for womens clothing nowadays.

judging by this and your other posts you dont have very good self esteem... you need to accept yourself for who you are. when you lose that weight you want to you will still be the same person, just smaller. dont let being bigger effect your life to such a great degree, so many others out there are worse off than you.

best of luck to you

This!

Its not about the size its about how you feel in the clothes... I never worry about the number or I would drive myself crazy
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Don't let clothing sizes get you down. Just wear what fits.

Depending on the style and brand, my size can range from a 2 to an 8. I have a size 6 shorts that fit perfectly and a size 8 pants that are almost too tight. It's super weird and very inconsistent.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Ahhh this can be so difficult, especially because clothes are not labeled as proper measurements (like shoes...and even shoes are not consistent.) Try to not focus on the numbers specifically, but the general direction the numbers are going. Yes, sometimes you will need to buy a size 12, when most of your clothes might be a size 10 - but as long as for the most part, the sizes are going down in most of your clothes, that is what is important. REALLY the numbers should not matter.

There are many different qualities in clothes that impact the size.
    - The material its self (some have more give, others do not (Cotton or Spandex VS. Denim))
    - The way the clothing is cut (some are tight cut (skinny jeans VS wide leg))
    - Where it fits on your body (Hips VS waist.)

I really like the point that was made that once the clothing is on you, no one see's the size. This is essential to keep in mind.
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Be aware of what the numbers are so you know what to take into the dressing room, but don't care about them. Caring about fitting into an "8" or a "6" or whatever is Old Navy's plan for world domination - for the same size pants, the number on theirs is anywhere from 2-4 sizes smaller than anywhere else you go. (And don't think their men's lines are immune - their 30" pants have about a 35" circumference.)

The other day I was looking at two t-shirts online. Both had a 17" chest width measurement. One was listed as a women's small, the other as a women's XL. Would buying the XL make me fatter? Would buying the small make me skinnier?
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    GAP is for kids and teens, their sizes are always smaller. All brands of pants are different in sizes. In Lee you may fit into an 8 and Liz Clayborn it may be a 10. Don't stress over it, just find what you like and buy it, no one is going to peel down your pants to see what size you're wearing anyway.
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    So excited we are getting an actual store right next door to where I work. Love their clothes! To the OP, I freaking hate shopping too and feel like a fat failure when I try stuff on. You just have to shop around a lot till you find what works for you. I just try places like Ross and TJ Maxx because they have several brands under one roof and it saves me drive time.
  • Pupslice
    Pupslice Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I know it sucks, but just keep in mind that there aren't any 'standard sizes' and that sizing is varied in a way that's just crazy. One store's x-small is another store's medium. numbers don't mean anything, how clothes fit and look on you and how you feel in the clothes are what really matter [altho I get the catch 22 of feeling like crap when this actually happens, while being told not to let it make you feel bad].
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Be aware of what the numbers are so you know what to take into the dressing room, but don't care about them. Caring about fitting into an "8" or a "6" or whatever is Old Navy's plan for world domination - for the same size pants, the number on theirs is anywhere from 2-4 sizes smaller than anywhere else you go. (And don't think their men's lines are immune - their 30" pants have about a 35" circumference.)

The other day I was looking at two t-shirts online. Both had a 17" chest width measurement. One was listed as a women's small, the other as a women's XL. Would buying the XL make me fatter? Would buying the small make me skinnier?

Absolutely this. I'm wearing size 8 jeans (from 10 years ago), but size 6 can literally fall off and I still have a size 10 which looks nice. Go figure.

Also, it doesn't necessarily get any easier after you've lost enough to get into "normal" sizes. I'm 5'2" and basically I've not found a single thing at my local (big) mall to fit me. It seems all the stores stopped carrying petite clothes which aren't horrendously frumpy during the last 8-10 years. I have to go online. And that's just for "interim" clothing while I'm losing weight.

Well, Nordstrom will probably make a killing out of me..
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    i hate clothes shopping! i love clothes but i hate shopping! i went to h&m and their sizes are so small. their small, medium and large sizes are too generous but their trousers and dresses are tiny! I saw a pair of "size 8" shorts, but they looked more like a size 4 or a us size 0 or even 00! they were positively miniscule! i thought to myself who on earth can fit into that! the changing room mirrors also make me look really fat! i went to the Gap and I tried on size 12 and size 14 shorts, size 12 wouldn't even do up and size 14 was really tight. i told the fitting room lady that the sizes seem really small and she was like oh really, people say that they're big! im not one of those girls in denial, im a size 12/14. i'd expect 12 to be tight, but 14 to be ok. it makes me feel like such ****! i hate trying on trousers and shorts especially unless their elasticated or leggings. im beginning to think maybe i am a size 16 at this rate!

The number on the label is relative and they are not set in stone. The number on the tag is not the same as another. Understand that where you might be an 8 in one size you could be a 12 in another. This is not personal, it's just that the clothing manufactures use the "average" of their customer's for the baseline of S, M and L.

You just have to be okay not defining yourself by a number. Buy the clothes that the most flattering to your shape. And if you find something that is a little too big but you love it, buy it and get it altered. It's better than wearing something too small.