5x5 Questions

Options
Hey All,

I've started Stronglifts 5x5 this week and everything is going fine except my barbell row and deadlift. I can't seem to keep my back from rounding. I don't have this problem with my squats. So what gives?

Also, when I'm squating I only seem to get a burn in the front of my thighs. Is this normal?

Thanks for any advice.

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    DL I had that issue until someone mentioned to me it is a push exercise not a pull...sounds odd I know but think of it this way

You are pushing your feet into the ground as you stand with the bar...

Rows I keep my head up that seems to prevent rounding...as well as bending my knees enough

Squats that is from activating the quads more than the glutes and hamstrings...try getting lower in your squats and you shouldn't feel it in your quads as much.

These are just my experiences...I am sure you will get a lot more detailed advice from people with more experience.

Here is link that helps me with my rows

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlRrIsoDpKg

and search "so you think you can deadlift" on youtube as well.
  • itodd4019
    itodd4019 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    keeping an eye on this one. I was supposed to start my 5X5 this week, but long run sat, long ride sun and then softball tore me up. I have really stepped back this week.

Monday I'm with ya!
  • entropy90
    entropy90 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    itodd4019: keep me posted on how it goes. reading your profile looks like your in decent shape. but I offer a friendly challenge. 12 weeks lets see how we match up. nothing works better for motivation then competition.

sezxystef: thanks for the advice. I'll be sure to take a look at those videos.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    bumping up so others with more experience can help too.
  • itodd4019
    Options
    Sounds good. Let's do it on our newsfeed though. I have tons of endurance know-how, and a few years of throwing experience.

But, the weights, especially with a program, will be pretty new for me. Had a bunch of false starts, and always end up back on the road doing mileage. But- I am 46 and want to keep my muscles.

I hope you get alot more replies to this thread for advice.

I do have JoRocka as a friend, and she seems to have solid know-how on the weights.
  • fatkinson
    fatkinson Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello

I have read lots of positive comments about 5x5. I only have access to dumbells but haven't done any strength training before just cardio. Can I adapt this programme to use dumbells?

Thanks
  • jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    also with quads feeling more of the squat, it could be foot placement. a closer(olympic) stance is more quad dominant, where the wider(powerlifting) stance will recruit more glute/hamstring into the lift.
  • loriemn
    loriemn Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Hello

I have read lots of positive comments about 5x5. I only have access to dumbells but haven't done any strength training before just cardio. Can I adapt this programme to use dumbells?

Thanks
    I started with dumbells..mine go up to 100Lbs,I am getting a 300 Lb Olympic barbell set next week tho,I have maxed out on the dumbells,it took a while tho as I had to drop weight once or twice to get my form better.I just do the deadlifts with the DB at my sides instead of in front.
  • eimaj5575
    eimaj5575 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Stef is right- think about standing up- pushing the world away from you- rather than trying to pull the weight up- that makes a HUGE difference.

Also- I would highly HIGHLY recommend this exercise to really bring awareness to your lower back and how to control it.
    - laying on the floor back down- arms at your side or over head- knees bent- feet flat.
    Take a big belly breath in- exhale and flatten your back to the ground.
    You should feel your lower abs contracting and your tail bone/pelvis curling UP

take some breaths here. relax- feel- just close your eyes and feel about where your body is touching what or how it's placed.

No- inhale- exale- and as you exhale- reverse the movement so you curl your butt under- creating a big space in the floor- using your low back muscles to pull your butt toward your shoulders.

Big belly breath in- breath- feel which muscles are stretched- which are pulling- which are relaxing- breath some more.

Exhale and reverse.

Move through those two positions on the floor and it should really REALLY help bring awareness to that back and what you need to be doing in the row and DL position.

Moving through cat/cow in table position is the same thing- but it has less tactile feeling with the floor.

Knowing how to engage those low back muscles is JUST as important as knowing how to engage the shoulders (which by the way you should be engaging also).

Please ask if any thing here isn't making sense, needs clarification and or any other questions- I can post a video- or make a sketch or whatever it is you need- or point you into more direction- it's super important to be aware of what you need to be focusing on to hit the right form!!!
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    DL I had that issue until someone mentioned to me it is a push exercise not a pull...sounds odd I know but think of it this way

You are pushing your feet into the ground as you stand with the bar...

Rows I keep my head up that seems to prevent rounding...as well as bending my knees enough

Squats that is from activating the quads more than the glutes and hamstrings...try getting lower in your squats and you shouldn't feel it in your quads as much.

These are just my experiences...I am sure you will get a lot more detailed advice from people with more experience.

Here is link that helps me with my rows

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlRrIsoDpKg

and search "so you think you can deadlift" on youtube as well.

This is troof. Mehdi mentions it being a push exercise rather than a pull exercise in his demonstration video. Helped me too.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    as mentioned, keep head looking up.....not looking down. That will encourage rounding of the back

When doing DLs..
    One thing I had to do initially until I got some strength and mechanics in place
    Was to position my feet at a wider stance, and my arms between my legs vs. outside of them.

Got the idea from looking at a video for Dead lifts for taller guys.....

After doing that a while, and getting some strength, I transitioned to the normal stance and have been that way since.
    Been working good
  • MityMax96
    Options
    oh and squat down lower in your stance for DLs, so you push through your legs
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Tagging this for JoRocka's awesome lower back idea :flowerforyou:
  • itodd4019
    Options
    Stef is right- think about standing up- pushing the world away from you- rather than trying to pull the weight up- that makes a HUGE difference.

Also- I would highly HIGHLY recommend this exercise to really bring awareness to your lower back and how to control it.
    - laying on the floor back down- arms at your side or over head- knees bent- feet flat.
    Take a big belly breath in- exhale and flatten your back to the ground.
    You should feel your lower abs contracting and your tail bone/pelvis curling UP

take some breaths here. relax- feel- just close your eyes and feel about where your body is touching what or how it's placed.

No- inhale- exale- and as you exhale- reverse the movement so you curl your butt under- creating a big space in the floor- using your low back muscles to pull your butt toward your shoulders.

Big belly breath in- breath- feel which muscles are stretched- which are pulling- which are relaxing- breath some more.

Exhale and reverse.

Move through those two positions on the floor and it should really REALLY help bring awareness to that back and what you need to be doing in the row and DL position.

Moving through cat/cow in table position is the same thing- but it has less tactile feeling with the floor.

Knowing how to engage those low back muscles is JUST as important as knowing how to engage the shoulders (which by the way you should be engaging also).

Please ask if any thing here isn't making sense, needs clarification and or any other questions- I can post a video- or make a sketch or whatever it is you need- or point you into more direction- it's super important to be aware of what you need to be focusing on to hit the right form!!!

I read in another thread, I think, that you started using a belt, and though you didn't need the support (I have a strong core) the belt gave you an awareness of where to squeeze (for lack of a better term).

At 46- a "twang" in the lower back takes a week to overcome. I'm not signing up for that. So I am signing up fopr the floor exercises.

And- do you think I otta get a belt?
  • itodd4019
    Options

DL's make me want to roll my shoulders back, as if I am pulling a powerclean. Does this push idea eliminate that roll back and pull feeling?
  • itodd4019
    Options
    P.S. for any moderator = a quote should show "who" you are quoting. Come up to speed MFP :)

just love me and fix it
    :drinker:
  • MityMax96
    Options

DL's make me want to roll my shoulders back, as if I am pulling a powerclean. Does this push idea eliminate that roll back and pull feeling?

For me it does.

Start with a lighter weight...maybe just the bar, or 25 lbs on either side.....
    Just so you can get your form and mechanics down.
    And then start going up in weight.

Plus I always try to make sure I look up...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

No because the push comes from the legs. Pushing the whole world away. As you push and stand the bar just happens to come with. Just took this yesterday for form check. Great view of the back working. Could I be lower? Yes but it's spinal a nice solid alignment.

th_20140604_183901_zps5fa6c5e5.jpg
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I always look in the mirror when doing deads - I got in that habit when I was learning and now I just prefer doing it so I make sure to keep my back straight. Do you have a full size floor to ceiling mirror in your gym?