Substitute for margarine/butter?

Options

Replies

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I'm trying to "wean" myself off of margarine or butter on my toast. However, I don't really like eating toast dry, with nothing on it.
    Are there any healthier substitutes that can be used as a spread for toast?

Thanks! =)

Drop the "margarine" and stick with the "BUTTER" or you could use Coconut Butter - really nice on toasted bread.

Never mind the calories, eat something natural and cut out the crap somewhere else.

+1
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I Can't Believe its Not Butter (spray)

zero calories, zero fat, all the taste IMO
    It's not zero calorie, it's less than 5 calories, so they can put 0 on the label legally. And it's per spray. I doubt many people eat one single spray.

ETA: I'd keep the butter, it's plenty healthy.

oh, really? I was not aware... Well, even if it is 5 cals per spray, you dont need a lot. It will make your toast soggy if you use too much spray

Just curious, how do you know its less than 5 calories?

The FDA does not require any product that is 5 calories or less per serving to put any calories on the nutrition label. Other foods that are less than 5 calories that are reported as zerie calorie include coffee and pickles. Although, you're not likely to drink 50 cups of coffee like you could squirt 50 sprays of butter substitute.
  • Chickee8586
    Chickee8586 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Mashed up cauliflower

:noway: :sick:
  • bciloveme2014
    bciloveme2014 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    There is no substitute for butter.
    64f7e088aa5eddf716a5bd84e74df26e.jpg

Ditch the margarine for sure, but enjoy some butter.
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options

It's not zero calorie, it's less than 5 calories, so they can put 0 on the label legally. And it's per spray. I doubt many people eat one single spray.

ETA: I'd keep the butter, it's plenty healthy.

oh, really? I was not aware... Well, even if it is 5 cals per spray, you dont need a lot. It will make your toast soggy if you use too much spray

Just curious, how do you know its less than 5 calories?

The FDA does not require any product that is 5 calories or less per serving to put any calories on the nutrition label. Other foods that are less than 5 calories that are reported as zerie calorie include coffee and pickles. Although, you're not likely to drink 50 cups of coffee like you could squirt 50 sprays of butter substitute.

oh trust me, 3 sprays and the toast is buttered. But again, how did you find out its less than 5 cals? Im really very curious on to find out this information.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    coconut oil is the only thing i use now

I never thought to use that on toast. Will have to try...
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Eat real butter. The good kind. Kerrygold is the best.

Or try coconut oil. That's yummy.

I use Kerrygold! Its delicious.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    coconut oil is the only thing i use now

I never thought to use that on toast. Will have to try...
    Coconut oil isn't bad on toast - my mom blends it with butter, and that's pretty tasty.

I fry my eggs in coconut oil, put butter on my toast. Coconut oil is also good on popcorn.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I also use coconut oil. I use it on toast, waffles, pancakes, in place of butter in recipes. It's good stuff.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    If you put olive oil in the fridge it will become solid and can be used as a spread. You can add herbs or garlic, if you like.

Peanut butter is delicious on toast. So is a little jelly or honey.

I second your suggestion of using olive oil, but wonder what oil you are using. I have four bottles of oilve oil ( from Spain, Italy and Mexico ) in the fridge and they have never gotten solid.
    I really like bread drizzled with EVO and then spread with a grated ripe tomato, a bit of oregano , salt and a grinding of pepper.....I could live of the stuff...:o).
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I'm trying to "wean" myself off of margarine or butter on my toast. However, I don't really like eating toast dry, with nothing on it.
    Are there any healthier substitutes that can be used as a spread for toast?

Thanks! =)

I understand not wanting to eat margarine, but what's wrong with butter ?
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    I love coconut oil too, but would have never thought of putting it on toast.
  • Geojerm
    Geojerm Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    'MMMMM/..... butter' said Homer Simpson
  • softwind
    softwind Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I would still use butter, just less of it.

And of course, nutella on toast is just heaven :)
  • Natalie1825
    Natalie1825 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    To Ang108:
    I've heard over the years that you shouldn't eat butter if you are trying to lose weight, and that margarine is healthier, and I guess it stuck with me.
    Thanks to the replies on this topic, though, I'm learning that the opposite is true. :laugh:
    And I suppose it would be good to start eliminating some foods and clean up my diet. Margarine/butter is the first baby step.

Edited because for some reason the reply function didn't work?
  • allotmentgardener
    allotmentgardener Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Garlic and herb soft cheese. Perfect on toast, perfect on everything else :D
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    dump the margarine and keep the butter. Maragarine is too chemical and its almost like eating the makings of a tire. Whereas, butter is less processed, less chemicals, and a naturally occuring item.
  • yvie63
    yvie63 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Personally I always use butter and NEVER margarine or any other synthetic crap to spread on my toast. I take a look at the label on my pack of butter and it had one additive, salt. I look at the tub of weird olive oil type spread and the ingredients are 20 lines long and I recognise none of them. Do you really want to put that sort of rubbish in your body. If you like butter have butter but have less, if there is one thing I am learning about food it should be quality over quantity. I haven't given any of the foods up I really love, I just have much smaller portions of them.
  • vwbug86
    vwbug86 Posts: 283 Member
    Options

Things like that aren't actually zero calories. Because the fat in in an aerosol can it can be called zero fat because of the fat per air ratio. It still has calories and fat though.