Researchers claiming it's impossible to keep weight off

Options

Replies

• Madelinec117
    Madelinec117 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    When you try to do something there is always the possibility of failure or backsliding, but that is no reason people should not try. A lot of people succeed and keep the weight off. I also think the more extreme the diet, the more likely they will slide backwards. I had lost some weight (not nearly what I needed to), fell off the wagon and now I am getting back on track by using MFP. I've noticed eating more calories using MFP have reduced the carb/sweet cravings I had been having. The greatest successes in life are the things we continue to strive toward.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Maintenance of weight is no easier or harder then losing weight. It's just that most people think it will be easier and don't take the proper steps to ensure maintenance is achieved. To lose weight you must be in a caloric deficit. One way or another you figure out how to get in one. Here at MFP most people track intake and output. Through a combination of lower intake and higher output we lose weight. When it comes time to maintain many people stop tracking input and output. They feel that part of the job is done. This is where they fail. Over 100 lbs lost and 3+ years in, I am still not confident that I could maintain weight without tracking calories and weighing portion sizes. Would I gain the entire 100+ lbs back, that's highly doubtful, but would I be able to maintain my physique, I don't think so. For me, nutrient tracking is now part of my life. I will need to do it as long as I want to keep what I have achieved. I always say to people just starting to lose weight, "Is your plan something you can stick to for the rest of your life?" If it isn't, rethink the plan.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Maintenance of weight is no easier or harder then losing weight. It's just that most people think it will be easier and don't take the proper steps to ensure maintenance is achieved. To lose weight you must be in a caloric deficit. One way or another you figure out how to get in one. Here at MFP most people track intake and output. Through a combination of lower intake and higher output we lose weight. When it comes time to maintain many people stop tracking input and output. They feel that part of the job is done. This is where they fail. Over 100 lbs lost and 3+ years in, I am still not confident that I could maintain weight without tracking calories and weighing portion sizes. Would I gain the entire 100+ lbs back, that's highly doubtful, but would I be able to maintain my physique, I don't think so. For me, nutrient tracking is now part of my life. I will need to do it as long as I want to keep what I have achieved. I always say to people just starting to lose weight, "Is your plan something you can stick to for the rest of your life?" If it isn't, rethink the plan.

Therein, I believe, lies the problem. How can anyone know what they can or will stick wth for the rest of their life?
  • Scott_2025
    Scott_2025 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I have been in the 95% several times in my life. Probably 4 or 5 times. I have lost weight only to find myself back to the original weight or higher. My wife has done the same thing a few times. My father and sister have also lost and gained back. So, I hate to say it, but I have observed and done much of what the article says will happen.

I have been a member of MFP for 16 months. And have logged in every day. About 50% of my MFP friends have stopped coming here. I can't guess how many of them are still watching their weight using other tools, but my guess is, not many.

I have often said to friends on MFP that I believe maintaining will be harder than losing. I hope that by gaining knowledge about what works, my chances of maintaining my weight when I reach my goal are greater than any other time in my life.

I hope the same for each and every one of you.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    People fail at keeping the weight off for the same reasons they fail at anything else in life. I'm not sure why this is a point of contention. If you treat your weight as the end goal and not something you need to keep working on, you're going to fail, just as you would at a job or relationship. There's really no need to complicate things.

Yet jobs are lost and relationships fail too. Even if you are giving it your best shot.

You missed the point. If you don't put in the effort, of course you are going to fail, no matter what the goal. Does that mean you are absolutely going to succeed? No, because nothing in life is 100% guaranteed. But your chances are a lot better when you continue working on something and don't get complacent.

Agreed. But I don't think the problem is knowing what needs to be done, since these are people who have already done it. It's why don't people do it. Why do they become complacent? Why don't they want it bad enough anymore?

For the same reason they phone it in at their jobs and take their relationships for granted. Their priorities shift to something else. It's same way a lot of people gain weight in the first place. Paying attention to diet and exercise go on the back burner in favor of something else. Which is why people in the community here preach sustainable lifestyle changes over fad diets and aggressive exercise programs. Find something you can realistically live with in the future and do that when losing weight, and you're ahead of the game because you've incorporated it into your life as something you just do as part of your day.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    People fail at keeping the weight off for the same reasons they fail at anything else in life. I'm not sure why this is a point of contention. If you treat your weight as the end goal and not something you need to keep working on, you're going to fail, just as you would at a job or relationship. There's really no need to complicate things.

Yet jobs are lost and relationships fail too. Even if you are giving it your best shot.

You missed the point. If you don't put in the effort, of course you are going to fail, no matter what the goal. Does that mean you are absolutely going to succeed? No, because nothing in life is 100% guaranteed. But your chances are a lot better when you continue working on something and don't get complacent.

Agreed. But I don't think the problem is knowing what needs to be done, since these are people who have already done it. It's why don't people do it. Why do they become complacent? Why don't they want it bad enough anymore?

For the same reason they phone it in at their jobs and take their relationships for granted. Their priorities shift to something else. It's same way a lot of people gain weight in the first place. Paying attention to diet and exercise go on the back burner in favor of something else. Which is why people in the community here preach sustainable lifestyle changes over fad diets and aggressive exercise programs. Find something you can realistically live with in the future and do that when losing weight, and you're ahead of the game because you've incorporated it into your life as something you just do as part of your day.

How do you know you can live with it in the future, when you don't know what the future will bring? Everyone seems so sure it's fad diets causing all of this. I know that is not always true. I have never done a fad diet or a VLCD. I've never got to a goal and said "Okay, I'm done.". I've never done any of the things people are trying to blame this on, yet I've lost and regained several times in my life. Yes, my priorities changed. Obviously. But it wasn't because I didn't plan to stick to it.

I have no doubt that is part of the problem. But, I promise you it's not as simple as "tell yourself you can do this forever".
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    When you lose weight, your resting metabolism goes down. When you increase your fitness, your resting metabolism goes down.

I'd like to see your reference, because I can see a false conclusion if ignoring the factor that the people who lost weight are continually exercising and staying more fit than the people who were never obese.

http://videocast.nih.gov/summary.asp?live=2993&bhcp=20
  • VeganCappy
    VeganCappy Posts: 122
    Options
    I have been in the 95% several times in my life. Probably 4 or 5 times. I have lost weight only to find myself back to the original weight or higher. My wife has done the same thing a few times. My father and sister have also lost and gained back. So, I hate to say it, but I have observed and done much of what the article says will happen.

I have been a member of MFP for 16 months. And have logged in every day. About 50% of my MFP friends have stopped coming here. I can't guess how many of them are still watching their weight using other tools, but my guess is, not many.

I have often said to friends on MFP that I believe maintaining will be harder than losing. I hope that by gaining knowledge about what works, my chances of maintaining my weight when I reach my goal are greater than any other time in my life.

Scott, I know what you are your friends are going through. I tried every diet back in the day. Always lost weight, then gained it all back plus more. It just constantly stepped my way up to 250 pounds. I was lucky enough to have run into some raw foodies and I couldn't believe how much they ate and yet none where overweight at all. They all looked like greek gods and goddesses. I followed their advice and dropped from 250 to around 155. But the thing I noticed was I had a TON of energy and was finally able to workout at high levels. At 155 I was around 14% body fat, and now I am 190 and around 13% body fat. I have maintained my weight for close to a decade now and I don't count calories or restrict how much I eat. I just made the change of what I eat to mostly raw, fruits and vegetables.

It takes a while for your tastebuds to get use to less dense foods, and this video can explain why that is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX2btaDOBK8

Once you change the level you are eating at, you can eat all you want guilt free.
  • nikkiworld2
    nikkiworld2 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    This gives me more motivation to weigh daily and never stop logging! Thanks!

No more truer words were ever spoken!
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

How do you know you can live with it in the future, when you don't know what the future will bring? Everyone seems so sure it's fad diets causing all of this. I know that is not always true. I have never done a fad diet or a VLCD. I've never got to a goal and said "Okay, I'm done.". I've never done any of the things people are trying to blame this on, yet I've lost and regained several times in my life. Yes, my priorities changed. Obviously. But it wasn't because I didn't plan to stick to it.

I have no doubt that is part of the problem. But, I promise you it's not as simple as "tell yourself you can do this forever".

To be duplicitous, yes it is that easy...if that is the persons personality and they are not suffering any unresolved issues regarding weight or food. Those that have under lying issues can not have permanent success until the under lying issues are addressed. This article seems to be based on those that just get to a goal (with the best intentions) but did not make a plan and/or never dealt with why they needed to lose weight in the first place (not talking number facts, but why did they eat too much). The sad fact is if you asked the majority of people that loss and gained most did try a fad or vlcd, they also called it a diet and never actually changed. You may not have but you would be the minority. Also if your past successes were a lifestyle change, then priorities would not have changed regarding health....it would just be how you are. Until someone changes themselves and it just is, nothing will be permanent, but if they truly change, then it is just how it is and will continue to be. For some their issues could be addictive in nature and a true change never happens and it is a struggle they will always have, for these their strength and determination keep them on track or it breaks them.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    “Those who doubt the power of basic drives, however, might note that although one can hold one’s breath, this conscious act is soon overcome by the compulsion to breathe,” Dr. Friedman wrote. “The feeling of hunger is intense and, if not as potent as the drive to breathe, is probably no less powerful than the drive to drink when one is thirsty. This is the feeling the obese must resist after they have lost a significant amount of weight.”

This is an excerpt from Gina Kolata’s new book, “Rethinking Thin: The New Science of Weight Loss — and the Myths and Realities of Dieting” (Farrar, Straus & Giroux). /quote]

Great article, thanks for posting it.

Do you have a link to it?
  • thatjosiegirl
    thatjosiegirl Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    If you don't overhaul your old lifestyle for one that is more active and balanced, then you will always fail.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options

Therein, I believe, lies the problem. How can anyone know what they can or will stick wth for the rest of their life?
    Simplicity and flexibility ensure long term compliance. If the weight loss plan is complicated, forget it. If it doesn't allow you to eat things you enjoy, forget it. If it has strict guidelines about what you can eat and when you can eat it, forget it. If it involves complicated variation of how much you can eat on certain days vs others, forget it. My current plan is simple and flexible. I can eat whatever I want, whenever I want to so long as it fits my calorie goals. If I screw up and eat too much or need to eat more for a specific reason, I can correct the this over the next few days. While I cannot predict the future, there is no foreseeable reason I can''t stick to this long term. Counting calories and weighing food at this point requires less then 5 minutes out of my total day. With that level of flexibility and simplicity I think I could adapt that plan no matter what changes occur in my life.
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    It doesn't just magically reappear, haha.

It sure doesn't. And I would bet that if those researchers asked the successful people who regained 10 years later why or how they regained the weight back, not a single one would circle "cuz magic" on their answer sheet.
    Yes. It does. I did nothing wrong I swear I just woke up like this
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options

Scott, I know what you are your friends are going through. I tried every diet back in the day. Always lost weight, then gained it all back plus more. It just constantly stepped my way up to 250 pounds. I was lucky enough to have run into some raw foodies and I couldn't believe how much they ate and yet none where overweight at all. They all looked like greek gods and goddesses. I followed their advice and dropped from 250 to around 155. But the thing I noticed was I had a TON of energy and was finally able to workout at high levels. At 155 I was around 14% body fat, and now I am 190 and around 13% body fat. I have maintained my weight for close to a decade now and I don't count calories or restrict how much I eat. I just made the change of what I eat to mostly raw, fruits and vegetables.

It takes a while for your tastebuds to get use to less dense foods, and this video can explain why that is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX2btaDOBK8

Once you change the level you are eating at, you can eat all you want guilt free.

How do you deal with the lower testosterone, omega-3s and iron in the diet? I know a lot of guy vegans that overconsume on soy to get to their protein goals and then end up having that skinny fat look because of the increased estrogen from the soy. My old roommate was a prime example -- skinny dude, little paunch, slight man boobs. He was definitely a good weight BMI-wise, but not something I think many would want to aim for body-wise.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Harsh news, but it's really necessary for anybody trying to lose a substantial amount of weight to heard the odds.

It is an uphill, lifelong battle. Not enough dieters get this. As someone who once lost about 70lbs, and regained double what I lost, but thought I would NEVER be the person to regain my weight simply because I hated being fat with a vehemence, it's a lot easier to drift back into your former fat body than many imagine.

I think it takes a brutal determination to never, ever be fat again. The kind of determination that some can muster during a limited weight loss phase, but few can carry out for a lifetime.

Impossible? No. But the grim reality is that very few of us are really going to lose and maintain. The only question is do you want it bad enough to be one of the very few?
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I'm glad this gave so many people something to discuss. As I said, I myself had a pretty scoff-y reaction so it's interesting to see so many other takes on it.
  • isp3986
    isp3986 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    The notion that it's impossible to keep weight off is ridiculous on it's face. How absurd!
    I think when I reach my goal I'll stop eating altogether to save money on groceries while I'm gaining it back.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    As long as most people, including our "health experts", keep thinking that food quality (aka nutrients) have nothing to do with health (excessive body fat storage is NOT normal and not healthy), then they are completely correct.

So, most of our society are born with a stomach that is too large... or if not, what stimulated people to start stretching their stomach to consume more food? Couldn't a lack of essential micro-nutrients play a role? Not according to most people here at MFP. Quality of food affects health? Yup, such a crazy, illogical idea.

For me, It's all about the FOOD. No surgery needed. I still have a bit to go but have maintained my healthy lifestyle for almost TWO years. If people want to accept the BS in that article (that only surgery is the answer), I sure can't change their mind. (I agree that it's not willpower or just calories though - it's the food!)
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I really don't see why it matters. There are really only so many possibilities. In the past 4 years, I've lost and kept off 50 lbs.

In the event that I continue to keep it off and lose more to get to my goal: Great! Not going to complain about that.

In the event that I put it back on: Oh well. No big shock as to why. I would have eaten too much. Contrary to seemingly popular opinion, regaining the weight doesn't negate the benefits of having lost it in the first place. I suspect my previous learning experience would make it easier.

Work on today, and be happy with today. Tomorrow isn't promised, so I can't imagine why I should care what anyone else deems nearly impossible.