Metformin Side Effects

Options
kgibbz
kgibbz Posts: 102 Member
If you had the dreaded incessant, round the clock, explosive diarrhea, when did it end? will it ever end? Currently on 1000mg at dinner time, soon will increase to 1500mg though.

Replies

• xxanotherstarxx
    xxanotherstarxx Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I had this problem when I first started metformin, it was terribly annoying. But it went away after a few weeks for me. Now it only happens when I eat something my stomach doesn't agree with. Hopefully it will stop soon for you :) If it doesn't I'd suggest letting your doctor know.
  • fheppy
    fheppy Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    cruel hunger pains, diarrhea stops in 2-3 weeks for me.
    and i take half pills throughout the day and not all at the same time.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    For me, it was only 3-5 days or so before dosing up to a new level each time. Then my body adjusted and it was fine. I don't have any symptoms anymore.
  • christybushellwain
    christybushellwain Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have been taking Metformin for years and years. I have had this problem ever since I became diabetic. However, I've noticed in the past couple of weeks now that my blood sugars are under control that it has virtually gone away.
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    This depends on your diet. Are you still eating excess amount of carbs? Are you following a healthy meal plan?

Carbs and MetF don't mix.

If you were just put on it, it goes away in about a month. For some people, it never goes away because they eat a high carb diet or they don't regularly take the pill. I know it sucks but it's worth it!

101 pounds with Metformin. It changed my life!
  • Amwhite1986
    Amwhite1986 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    My doctor suggested starting with half dosages when I went on it.
    It's helpful to figure out what triggers the side effects, for me kraft dinner made me feel like I was going to die. Never eat out unless a bathroom is very close until you figure it out. For me, fruit and berries were my friend. I rarely got sick from it.

It should be better in a few weeks. It probably took 6-8 months before my body was back to normal and I could eat everything I used to without having to run. It was a gradual process for me.

It was worth it though, I couldn't lose weight before I started metformin. When I started to lose it was the first time in 4 years of progressively gaining.
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    For me, it was only 3-5 days or so before dosing up to a new level each time. Then my body adjusted and it was fine. I don't have any symptoms anymore.

THIS!
  • bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Some people who find relief from these dreaded side effects by switching to the (XR) version of Metformin and some don't.
    You might want to check with your healthcare provider to find out if this would be an option-if you continue to have these unpleasant gastric issues beyond a week or so.

Good luck!
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry but I laughed so hard at the original post (not the poster, the post).

I remember SOOO well how painful that was and it was over 2 years ago. Racing for the bathroom praying you make it in time. A memory like that sticks with you

I started at 500mg then he upped it to 1000 (split morning and night). It took about a week and I couldn't go ANYWHERE. My mom was visiting at the time and she even had to take the trash out (a short walk across the apartment complex to the dumpster) because I couldn't get that far and back if it 'hit' me.

My doc took me off of it a few months back and I was really hesitant to come off (my A1C came down with a change in diet).. I told him to be VERY VERY sure, I wasn't going through that again if he changed his mind and wanted me back on them again.

It did a fantastic job controlling my hunger though.
  • 1971LMF
    1971LMF Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    just wondering how soon after starting met did you experience any side effects?