Want to start running but I'm embarrassed

Options

Replies

• _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I'm just gonna leave this right here.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1217573-so-you-want-to-start-running

And don't be embarrassed...we all have to start somewhere!!! :flowerforyou:
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I've lost 23 lbs in the past 5 weeks and I feel terrific. In the past year or so I've lost 45. But I still have a long way to go. I walk 2x a day which equals about 1 hr. I just started weight training last week and I can already tell such a difference. I really, really want to start running. I know it burns the fat faster than walking. I love interval training when I walk and I know running would make a difference. Here's the thing. I still have 100 lbs to lose. Even though I feel smaller I know I look big to others. I can't see myself running down the sidewalk huffing and puffing with parts of me still jiggling around for all to see. Any thoughts or just words of encouragement?

honestly, when I am running I am just trying to get through it myself, lol. Im not worried about what anyone else is doing. Sometimes I am literally just trying to make it to the end, ignoring other joggers and kids on their bikes in my way. Its hard work to run! I say go for it! Im pretty sure you will be respected for getting out there and at least trying.

Find a good playlist you can jam to, pop in the headphones and get lost in the music and enjoy the fresh air! It will get easier the more you do it.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    1st off- congrats on the first 45 pounds!! big step in the right direction- that's a small child you lost!!!

2ndly- congrats on the next 23 pounds- that's ANOTHER small child!!!!

TWO SMALL CHILDREN YOU"VE LOST!!! That's fantastic.

As for starting running- if you can get to a track - it's not ideal- but I like the track for running intervals- mentally it helps me from dealing with people judging me- I know it's silly- but even if there are people there- it's easy to mentally dismiss it as- oh she's running intervals and also- it's just really easy to run intervals on a track.

you can jog the corners- and walk the straights-
    and when you get more comfortable- you can jog the straights and walk the corners-
    then after that you can jog the straight into the corner- then walk the next straight- and just keep adding on to till you can jog a lap- walk a lap- jog a lap walk a lap.

Our secretary walks on the treadmill (she walks at home too- but apparently the only way to get her son to go DO something- is by taking him- so she walks there too) and she was so excited no one was there- and I have reminded her no one cares- no one is looking- so she said- I did it- it was quiet- only 2 other people there and I finally got up the courage to do it and... I RAN on the treadmill.

So baby steps- get comfortable- find a place that you are comfortable with- find a place with easy markers so you can "lap" them out.

You can do it!!! :) Just break stride- count to five- then walk... baby steps- I promise- you can do it and you're going to feel amazing about it!
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I've started running outside for the first time ever this year. I put on my sunglasses and headphones and ignore everyone around me. I really don't care what other people think. I'm in my zone and having two young kids at home...it's "my" time. Enjoy yourself!

Edit to add more stuff.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling, but you can totally do it. I've been walking a lot in the last couple of months, and this week I finally started adding in jogging intervals. I was so nervous, because I like to go out on our lake front because then you don't have to worry about crossing traffic, etc, HOWEVER, that means it is full of a lot of avid runners and fit people hanging out. Well, I drug all 300 some pounds of me of there this week to run, and I was getting so many smiles from the fit people passing by, it was awesome. And yes, I could totally hear and feel my but fat flabbing all over, but it didn't matter, it was still running and trying to make a healthier version of myself.

Just go for it and do your own thing. Once you get out there the first time, the second will be easier, as will the third, etc. Best of luck!
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I'm just gonna leave this right here.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1217573-so-you-want-to-start-running

And don't be embarrassed...we all have to start somewhere!!! :flowerforyou:

YES!!!! I was going to post this if I didn't see it. READ it and HEED! Great advice and I wish the mods would pin it already!

Just make sure you increase slowly so you don't get hurt-been there. Just to let you know, running sucks at first for everybody, not just those who have extra weight to lose. Don't give up :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:
  • cwoyto123
    cwoyto123 Posts: 308
    Options
    Excuses.
  • aspenredleaf
    aspenredleaf Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way when I started to run, so I would go early in the morning or late at night. But as you can see from the other posts people are encouraging :) Just give it a go :D we are all cheering you on!
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I started running at 256 pounds in the middle of summer! I would run up and down these back roads, in and out of neighborhoods. Everyday for 3 entire months, 9 am.

A little kid came out and brought me a bottled water and high hived me.

People will watch you, But not for what you think. =)

Whenever I'm out running I'm humbled by the support that I get from other runners! High hives, thumbs up, and "keep going" are things I encounter at least once a week.

Don't think of the negative stuff, running is worth it.
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Another C25K vote. I started with that 2 1/2 years and many pounds ago.

You will receive more "Atta Girl's" than you will realize. People can be surprisingly supportive!

As a person who has lost over 100 lbs, I know it is do-able.

Good luck to you!!!

It IS worth it!!!
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    A wise man once told me something:

"F*** those other guys."
  • MonsterSugarBug
    Options
    I happened to look out my back patio door a few days ago and saw a woman doing a half jog/half walk kind of number. She was a little on the heavy side, but I wouldn't call her fat by any means...I stood and watched her for a moment and all I could do was smile and tell her (even though there's no way she heard me) 'Good for you Honey, I like your style!' I have no idea if she was just starting running for the first time, or if she was just out for a jog, having an easy day, but I can honestly say I was jealous of her. I think I would love to start running again, but I'm not at the point where I want it bad enough.

If you're at that point where you want it, I say go for it!! If you feel self conscious, just visualize people cheering you on if they happen to look out their windows. Chances are, people are too busy living their own lives and won't even notice you, it's finally warm out and so many other people are out walking, running, biking, whatever, that it seems odd if someone ISN'T going by!

Enjoy your run!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I had a similar problem with starting to do squats in the squat rack at the gym. I felt like I was constantly being stared at by every single guy there (and I actually was - thanks to the surrounding mirrors, I validated that). But after a couple times, and seeing myself accomplish small victories, I began not to care anymore. Now I just put my headphones in and do my own thing. People can stare if they want to, but I'm working on bettering myself.

I didn't have that problem at my last gym. I just switched gyms and now there is a cute guy that works out when I do...Talk about getting distracted during squats which I NEVER have before...Tomorrow I put my headphones on and hope that helps.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I had a similar problem with starting to do squats in the squat rack at the gym. I felt like I was constantly being stared at by every single guy there (and I actually was - thanks to the surrounding mirrors, I validated that). But after a couple times, and seeing myself accomplish small victories, I began not to care anymore. Now I just put my headphones in and do my own thing. People can stare if they want to, but I'm working on bettering myself.

I didn't have that problem at my last gym. I just switched gyms and now there is a cute guy that works out when I do...Talk about getting distracted during squats which I NEVER have before...Tomorrow I put my headphones on and hope that helps.
    I have a problem with being constantly stared at in my gym. It's kind of annoying but kind of cute. The thing is I train at home and it's my dog that's always staring. :D
  • Brinray
    Brinray Posts: 20
    Options
    Got a free treadmill on craigslist, hid it in my basement, and started jiggling along...
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Serious exercisers always respect anyone else who exercises no matter what they look like. That said there will always be jacka$$es. But honestly, who cares about the opinion of a Jacka$$. I have big jiggly batwings under my arms from losing 87 lbs. I don't care, I get on the track at the Y and go for it. Exercise early, that's when all the serious people go. We all look like the walking/jogging dead. The "cute" people in outfits arrive after 7am
  • jenniferpark01
    jenniferpark01 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I did a RunDisney 5k with thousands of people and I weighed in the mid 300s. I did a RunDisney 10k in the low 300s and nobody was rude or anything like that. In fact I got complemented for my successes.

I will be running another RunDisney 10k in August. I am hoping to be in the 240s. And then I have a RunDisey 1/2 marathon in January. Never let your weight prevent you from doing what you want! Go out and run!
  • JennyHollyHansen
    Options
    I found when I started running I was embarrassed that I went so slow. But don't forget everyone who runs started slow.
    Many started with extra weight as well. They will relate to you more than they will judge.
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I like the suggestion of finding a nature trail to run on. No matter where you live, there is probably one nearby and if you go early in the morning or later at night, many trails are like ghost towns. I much prefer running along trails as then you can just run without dealing with car traffic or intersections.