Want to start running but I'm embarrassed

Options
I've lost 23 lbs in the past 5 weeks and I feel terrific. In the past year or so I've lost 45. But I still have a long way to go. I walk 2x a day which equals about 1 hr. I just started weight training last week and I can already tell such a difference. I really, really want to start running. I know it burns the fat faster than walking. I love interval training when I walk and I know running would make a difference. Here's the thing. I still have 100 lbs to lose. Even though I feel smaller I know I look big to others. I can't see myself running down the sidewalk huffing and puffing with parts of me still jiggling around for all to see. Any thoughts or just words of encouragement?

Replies

• AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I struggle with those same fears so I run really really early in the morning before work (talking like 5am) so there are less people around to see it. I put my headphones in, keep my head down and try to ignore the world around me. (also, a treadmill can help too lol)
  • andibenoit
    andibenoit Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Do one of the couch to 5k apps. I originally ran at dusk, when I was about 240lbs, but as I met goals, I stopped caring what other people thought and was able to take pride in the action I was taking to be healthy. You can definitely do it, and it's totally worth it.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I would do intermittant running / walking. I doubt people would laugh but even if they do I bet in a short amount of time, nobody will be laughing. Or if you're really worried about it, go early in the morning when less people are out.
  • stemmingthetide
    stemmingthetide Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Yes- if you want to run- run! When I see some "bigger" people running or cycling- my first thought is always - good for them! Who cares what anyone thinks. It is your body , your life and you get decide what to do with both! Run!
  • sjebert
    sjebert Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I started the couch to 5K program this week. I have done 2 days so far and the way I look at it is, if people are going to laugh at me because I am out there trying to run and trying to get into better shape then the hell with them, they are not worth my time. If they cannot understand and appreciate the fact that I am activly trying to improve my health, then screw them.
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Don't be embarrassed! I started running at the ripe old age of 46 (I started with the C25K program... I still jiggle! I know I look goofy sometimes, but I don't care! We usually worry so much about what people will think of us, when in fact, they aren't thinking of us at all or maybe just fleetingly. Anyway, chances are they are NOT running or doing anything active, so you will be one-up on them. I say, go for it! :drinker:
  • CompressedCarbon
    CompressedCarbon Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Go for it. People don't care as much as you think they do. Put in the earbuds, fire up the music and disappear into your own world. Start out slow, even so slow that some people could walk faster than you are moving. Each day go a little bit farther. And keep at it.
  • MelanieMamaof5
    MelanieMamaof5 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Remember that you are the one out there RUNNING. Anyone worth anything would APPLAUD that, not judge your body for it. Go for it and good on ya!
  • ilyahna2014
    Options
    If anyone looks at you and sees anything else but someone out doing something positive for themselves, then they are not worth worrying about.

Just focus on the result you want, listen to some good music, and to hell with what people think. :) I'm a bigger girl, and I run, and I've honestly never seen another exerciser look at me askance. Most of them smile and wave!
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    Just do it. Just once. You'll almost certainly find that your fears were unrealized. That will make it easier to do it again. And if someone does make a rude comment through the car window, guess what -- they'll be right out of your life at 35mph or faster, and they're the ones stuck in a car with a rude jerk wherever they go. Don't let the possibility of a brief encounter with some rude jerk (who may or may not even exist) stop you from making your progress.

Just do it, beautiful.
  • Ademar111
    Ademar111 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Try the app C25k..... It trains you to run a 5k... Amazing app
    Don't be embarrased at least you are trying!:smile:
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    When I see people who are out of shape or overweight running I think good for them and want to give them a high five for encouragement so not everyone will have a negative reaction. Some people may look at you strange but if you can overcome that then you are likely to meet your goals faster. Maybe you can find some humorous shirts to wear like "Every Damn Day Just Do It" or "I Don't Sweat I Sparkle". Pinterest has lots of these. Good luck.
  • TashTag
    TashTag Posts: 109
    Options
    f£$% them... haha Atleast you are doing something about it right! I know easier said than done. I have the same fears and bought myself a treadmill because of them... Good luck comrade
  • jimbmc
    jimbmc Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Run! Just run. It doesn't have to be fast, it doesn't have to be continuous, just run :)

Find a nice route, a park, a riverside, get out in the sunshine and run. I see more determination in someone that is struggling with weight, when I see them running through the park, than I do anywhere else.

Run.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    It's more embarrassing to be sitting on the couch all day watching Oprah re-runs and eating bon-bons. :)

I've found that people either 1) Don't care or 2) Think "Good for her" when they see someone running.

It's all about making an effort. If you want to run, go for it.
  • sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone suggesting C25K. You can download the podcast or buy the app through rundouble.

As for dealing with embarrassment, I know it's hard....I was embarrassed too. I still am! But the best strategy I use is to just get out there and do it. Don't let those nasty thoughts and feelings hold you back...take action!
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Here are my thoughts on it: I live right in between a college campus and an air force base, I *know* I'm going to be the fattest person out there running, I'm going to be the fattest person in my gym, and there's a strong chance that I'll even be the fattest person in the local Taco Bell--that's just the nature of the beast in this area.

Yeah, I could worry about what these people think when they drive by (or worse, run by and look a hell of a lot better doing it!) but I choose not to. If somebody from their car smiles or waves as I run by, I will do the same. I smile at runners, cyclists, other passers by if they do the same. Otherwise, I have my headphones on, looking straight ahead and not paying attention to others--what they're doing, whether or not they're looking at me, and/or judging me.

Why? Because this is something I want to do for myself. I want to run, I want to be in better shape. And, if these people are judging me, I can just go back to my apartment after my run and forget about them while getting lost in an episode of Breaking Bad.

Moral of the story: yes, it's intimidating. No, it's not easy. Yes, it's worth it. Yes, you can do it too.

If you don't already have a music player, you should look into getting one and start the couch 2 5k program to work your way up to being a better runner
  • mtyler7718
    mtyler7718 Posts: 24
    Options
    I've lost 23 lbs in the past 5 weeks and I feel terrific. In the past year or so I've lost 45. But I still have a long way to go. I walk 2x a day which equals about 1 hr. I just started weight training last week and I can already tell such a difference. I really, really want to start running. I know it burns the fat faster than walking. I love interval training when I walk and I know running would make a difference. Here's the thing. I still have 100 lbs to lose. Even though I feel smaller I know I look big to others. I can't see myself running down the sidewalk huffing and puffing with parts of me still jiggling around for all to see. Any thoughts or just words of encouragement?

Wow! You are such an inspiration--keep up the great work. I have weighed a lot at one point of my life (when my thyroid went hypoactive--which was also the year I lost my first husband to cancer--I gained almost 100 lbs in a year). I weighed 270 lbs and also wanted to go running like you. I did and I will be honest with what happened.

The GREAT majority of people were wonderful! People on the street saw me sweating and a huffing and puffing--but with a determined look on my face--and it was like I felt them cheering me on. But some people said hurtful things or laughed at me--mostly younger boys and girls. I didn't care though because I knew in my heart that I was doing what was best for ME and I couldn't hear their taunts anyway because I had my iPod in (well, in those days, it was a Walkman (pssst. 20 pts. for those who remember those!). :wink:

I think you should do the exercise you wish to do and who cares what people think. Besides, you are going to be so hot and sexy that all the small number of fools who try to make you feel bad will be pea green with envy when they see your hot self!

My honest experiences. I did lose that 100 lbs but I gained 30 of it back since I've been with my (second) husband -- 14 years. You've done so well though. HUGE congrats!!!
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it. Try running in a place where there isn't a whole lot of people such as a park or nature trail. It's more relaxing and you'll be less self conscious. When I run I have a death rattle and people are probably like, "is she dying?" lol
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Most people probably won't even look at you while you're out running. And if they do, it's most likely with awe and pride that you're trying to better yourself. I don't care how big somebody is, if I see them outside running, or even walking, I think "Good for them!" You may get the occasional @$$ who makes a snide or rude comment but I've been running for over a year in all my jiggly glory and nobody has ever made a nasty comment.

You can do this!