I'm very weak. Where do I start with strength training?

2»

Replies

• psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    If you aren't ready for heavy lifting try googling convict conditioning or bodyweight workouts on fitnessblender.com.

I started with 30 day shred and did that for 60 days before I started lifting.

eta: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Yes this ^^ start with body weight exercises

I also started with 30 Day Shred, moved onto Insanity, then New Rules of Lifting for Women and I've just started StrongLifts
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    I started with bodyweight, then machines, then dumbbells, then barbells.
  • Amy3935
    Amy3935 Posts: 94 Member
    This routine is a really good place to start for beginners and he walks you through it all:
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    We all start somewhere. Most people are going to suggest compound exercise, e.g. deadlifts, squats, etc. But if that's not your thing quite yet, you could always begin with bodyweight exercises and bands to ease into. Pull-ups, uprights rows, pushups, etc are compound moves too. I got back into the gym end of March and I didn't rush right back into barbells, instead I picked up dumbbells for most movements to just get my body back to the grind and to work out mechanics. That I am not recommending for you, but I think the principle could be applied. Either way, commit yourself to it and plan your gym time accordingly.

Yes, calisthenics are great! This is a good suggestion.
  • Suzmp85
    Suzmp85 Posts: 184 Member
    You could just try some basic bodyweight exercises,like pushups, squats, situps..modify if needed, and you can also work in some low weights to incorporate as well. Start small, and work your way up. :)
  • CompressedCarbon
    CompressedCarbon Posts: 353 Member
    I started with bodyweight, then machines, then dumbbells, then barbells.

Me too! And I work at a desk also. Doing something > doing nothing. I still spend a lot of time looking at "how to" videos for the compound lifts. I'm progressing, but not quickly because I'm trying to make sure my form is good so if that means I stay at the same weight for a while, I don't care. The only person you need to compete with is yourself.

I can tell you that when I first went into the free weight section of the gym, I was intimidated and felt like they were all staring at me. Turns out, all the other people appear to be staring into space, trying to psyche themselves up for their next lift and I just happened to walk into their field of vision. But prepare yourself for that because that felt weird.

I don't think you'll be sorry that you are starting now. There is something very different about picking up more weight than you did last week. It's addicting.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Don't be intimidated by the idea of working with a barbell. If the weight is too heavy, you can just lift with the bar. If you don't have access to a gym, you can use a broom handle or dowel to learn the motion.
  • I go to Planet Fitness and I use the strength training circuit of bicep and triceps curls, pull downs, chest press, fly, row, hip extension, etc. and go from one to the other, and adjust the weight (resistance) to what I can handle for that night. I recently started free weights, and look just like president Obama, lol.
  • callas444
    callas444 Posts: 261 Member
    As a beginner in fitness, I didn't feel like I could just pick up a book and learn how to lift weights. It's intimidating. I don't live close to a traditional gym. Fortunately, I found out about a program near where I work that combines cardio, light weight lifting (I started with 6 pounds), calisthenics, and yoga. I would definitely recommend looking for a program near you where you have a licensed instructor teaching you how to do things correctly and NOT hurt yourself. Even if you just stick with the program for a few months, you can learn how to do the stuff on your own.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Oh yeah, another thing that I did when I first started free weights was that I took body pump classes. It is a good way to get familiar with form and the movements with the free weights.
  • 1974lynnette
    1974lynnette Posts: 27 Member
    Thanks for all the great replies. I'm not afraid of the bar, I just don't want to do too much too soon. The idea of using dumbbells to start is great. Also, the pushups, planks, squats without weights is a great place for me to start. I want to learn proper technique & work my way up. Thanks for all the great advice.
  • callie006
    callie006 Posts: 151 Member
    Don't be intimidated by the idea of working with a barbell. If the weight is too heavy, you can just lift with the bar. If you don't have access to a gym, you can use a broom handle or dowel to learn the motion.
    A broom handle or dowel is a great suggestion. When I restarted after a bad ankle injury, I couldn't have done most of those exercises even with just a bar. I did a program (Strong Curves beginner) that started off with only bodyweight for at least the first month, and it was great for me. My form is way better than it was before the injury, and once I added weights I progressed faster because of all of that form work combined with gaining a baseline of strength.
  • BinaryPulsar
    I like strong curves also!

I also started with the book The New Rules of Lifting for LIFE. That book is also very good with progressions for people that need modifications and to learn form.