Type 2 Diabetic with a goal to get off insulin

Options
Hi everyone,
I originally downloaded the myfitnesspal app about a year ago, but never used it.
At that time, it was recommended that I add insulin to my arsenal of medications. For the first few weeks after that I was trying to eat better, but I slowly slipped back into my old habits. As a result, I gained 20 pounds over the year and had to keep increasing my insulin dosage, but my blood sugars were still way over where they should be.

I had a waking nightmare about all the problems I'll eventually have as a result of this disease (in fact I started to have painful tingling sensations in my feet one night), so right in the middle of the long May 24 weekend (in Canada), I decided that something had to change.

I'm on day 19 and so far myfitnesspal has been a blessing to keep track of what I'm eating. It's quite an eye opener to find out that your daily coffee intake has over 200 calories in cream!

I've started riding my bike pretty much every day and have cut my coffee from my daily diet, except for 1 cheat day on the weekend. The other thing I'm finding necessary is to eat several times during the day. I was so hungry the first couple of weeks but thankfully now that is starting to get better!

I'm proud to say that so far I've lost 7 pounds and I've reduced my insulin usage by 75% already. My blood sugars are pretty much perfect! This is bizarre to me because I've tried to do this in the past I've "jumped on the bandwagon" but have never had such good blood sugar control after such a short period of time. I'd really like to quickly lose the 20 pounds and get off this insulin altogether. Then, work on the rest.

I'd be happy to accept friend requests from anyone out there in a similar situation or anyone who will be able to provide encouragement and support to keep going and not to give up on this new lifestyle!

Thanks,
Christy

Replies

• kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary, but I drink coffee. A LOT of it! I just lower my other sugars to fit it in.

It doesn't sound like you've been to a diabetes education course? You should get your doctor to refer you to one immediately--it will help in so many ways. With their help, I lowered my A1C by 20 points. If Brighton doesn't have one, Trenton or Cobourg will for sure.
  • christybushellwain
    christybushellwain Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've been to a few diabetes education courses over the years....last year was the most recent. I'm not missing the coffee....yet. I do have some tea, but milk instead of cream. I tried putting milk in the coffee...yuck!
  • htg20
    htg20 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Consider reading "The End of Diabetes" by Dr. Joel Fuhrman. Congrats on your success so far. I wish you great health for the future!
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I've been to a few diabetes education courses over the years....last year was the most recent. I'm not missing the coffee....yet. I do have some tea, but milk instead of cream. I tried putting milk in the coffee...yuck!

My reading comprehension isn't too great lately lol! I thought you were a new diabetic, but I can see now...
    Milk+coffee-not right and downright unCanadian.
  • kbeloved
    kbeloved Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to let you know it is possible! My mom is type two and lost 150lbs through diet & exercise and now takes no medication for her disease. Feel free to add! :D
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    My daughter is a nurse practitioner and she has told me that people who lose 15 to 20 percent of their body weight, often can get off the insulin shots when it comes to type 2 diabetes.
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I beat type 2, my best advice to give you is to find a dietitian that specializes in diabetes management. Without mine NONE of this would have been possible.
  • christybushellwain
    Options
    Consider reading "The End of Diabetes" by Dr. Joel Fuhrman. Congrats on your success so far. I wish you great health for the future!

Thanks, I'll look into that!
  • christybushellwain
    Options
    So glad to hear of so many success stories. I'm determined to be one of them. I have two boys. I'd like to be able to enjoy their energy and to be able to keep up with them!
  • RobertHButler
    Options
    I have normal sugar with janumet twice daily. I kept my calorie intake at 2000 per day, I cut out all bread, cakes, cookies, and any thing with gluten. My blood pressure normalized, and I lost over 120 lbs. Also I quit smoking, that's an important factor, believe it or not.
  • christybushellwain
    Options
    That's awesome Robert!