Researchers claiming it's impossible to keep weight off

Options

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    People fail at keeping the weight off for the same reasons they fail at anything else in life. I'm not sure why this is a point of contention. If you treat your weight as the end goal and not something you need to keep working on, you're going to fail, just as you would at a job or relationship. There's really no need to complicate things.

Yet jobs are lost and relationships fail too. Even if you are giving it your best shot.

You missed the point. If you don't put in the effort, of course you are going to fail, no matter what the goal. Does that mean you are absolutely going to succeed? No, because nothing in life is 100% guaranteed. But your chances are a lot better when you continue working on something and don't get complacent.

Agreed. But I don't think the problem is knowing what needs to be done, since these are people who have already done it. It's why don't people do it. Why do they become complacent? Why don't they want it bad enough anymore?

For the same reason they phone it in at their jobs and take their relationships for granted. Their priorities shift to something else. It's same way a lot of people gain weight in the first place. Paying attention to diet and exercise go on the back burner in favor of something else. Which is why people in the community here preach sustainable lifestyle changes over fad diets and aggressive exercise programs. Find something you can realistically live with in the future and do that when losing weight, and you're ahead of the game because you've incorporated it into your life as something you just do as part of your day.

How do you know you can live with it in the future, when you don't know what the future will bring? Everyone seems so sure it's fad diets causing all of this. I know that is not always true. I have never done a fad diet or a VLCD. I've never got to a goal and said "Okay, I'm done.". I've never done any of the things people are trying to blame this on, yet I've lost and regained several times in my life. Yes, my priorities changed. Obviously. But it wasn't because I didn't plan to stick to it.

I have no doubt that is part of the problem. But, I promise you it's not as simple as "tell yourself you can do this forever".

I do agree with this point. It's one of the reasons why I don't promise "forever." It's not that I don't think I COULD maintain my weight forever, but I can clearly see several circumstances where I simply won't care about my weight, what I eat or my level of exercise. I can always figure out a plan. But CARING about figuring out a plan is a big if and, unfortunately, the one thing I can't guarantee.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I read this this morning and laughed. Seriously?

Thought it was a pretty good article. It is a fact that most people struggling with weight gain loss the battle - pretending otherwise doesn't do anybody any good.

In general, it seems people need either an extreme level of dedication, or lack of access to excess food.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    If you don't overhaul your old lifestyle for one that is more active and balanced, then you will always fail.
    Yeah, I made the same point earlier, but it's not a sexy opinion; too logical.
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    cliffs - don't get fat in the first place. Study epigenetic inheritance.
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    So only 5% keep off the weight after 10 years? So let's research that, duh! Give the people something useful. Also researchers don't want to speak of the conclusions of the study? WTF, are they scientists, isn't there some sort of protocol to make this information known?

I am determined to be a special snowflake...
  • WDA4655
    WDA4655 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I agree! Why don't they do a study & follow those who have been successful & have kept it off!
  • fificrazy
    fificrazy Posts: 234
    Options
    Weight set point theory and reactive eating.
    Not to mention the metabolism slows at around 21-23.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I agree! Why don't they do a study & follow those who have been successful & have kept it off!
    They do. It's called the National Weight Control Registry.
    http://www.nwcr.ws/
  • marvinq42
    marvinq42 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    The only way to truly keep the weight off is to change your lifestyle. You can't just go back to how you were eating in the first place.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    lol, I guess everyone who ever starved to death in the history of mankind didn't get the memo. I mean yeah if you go back to how you are eating before of course that's gonna happen. The trick is not coming of your diet and going into your old habits. The trick is to establish a steady maintenance regime. At least it will be. Once I get there. That won't be for a long time though as once I hit my goal imma going to get some muscles XD.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    So much good info, links, etc in this thread. Bookmarking to read more later!
  • Fujiberry
    Fujiberry Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    People get complacent, period. People forget about the 'lifestyle' part of lifestyle change.
  • cottonta1l
    cottonta1l Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hilariously stupid. It's down to the individual whether they are disciplined enough not to gain the weight back.
  • MargaretSobers
    MargaretSobers Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I Don't think it's impossible to lose weight because if you follow a proper diet plan and doing exercises then definitely you will be able to lose your extra fat. This is my personal experience because I have lost 30 lbs by using proper diet plan and herbal tea together.
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    People get complacent, period. People forget about the 'lifestyle' part of lifestyle change.
    This.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    Maintenance of weight is no easier or harder then losing weight. It's just that most people think it will be easier and don't take the proper steps to ensure maintenance is achieved. To lose weight you must be in a caloric deficit. One way or another you figure out how to get in one. Here at MFP most people track intake and output. Through a combination of lower intake and higher output we lose weight. When it comes time to maintain many people stop tracking input and output. They feel that part of the job is done. This is where they fail. Over 100 lbs lost and 3+ years in, I am still not confident that I could maintain weight without tracking calories and weighing portion sizes. Would I gain the entire 100+ lbs back, that's highly doubtful, but would I be able to maintain my physique, I don't think so. For me, nutrient tracking is now part of my life. I will need to do it as long as I want to keep what I have achieved. I always say to people just starting to lose weight, "Is your plan something you can stick to for the rest of your life?" If it isn't, rethink the plan.

Therein, I believe, lies the problem. How can anyone know what they can or will stick wth for the rest of their life?

The message I am getting here then is...I should just not bother. Because honestly, I DON'T want to come on here and track every little bit that I put in my mouth for the rest of my life. I don't want to be preoccupied with food and my weight, that's part of why I want to lose it. I feel that's obsessive, and I've never found obsessiveness to be a good thing...
    When I lost weight and reached my goal before, I began to eat more intuitively, exercised just because it felt good (not to burn calories) and kept 90% of my weight off for 5+ years. THAT'S what I want again. And I know exactly why and when I began to put the weight back on-severe depression and anti-depressant medications, and physical injuries that caused me to be nearly bed-bound for extended periods. I no longer struggle with those issues, so perhaps I can be successful this time? We shall see...but I'm not going to say I will be...because life always rears it's ugly head.
  • coolblondenerd
    coolblondenerd Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    So the message is: Are you obese and unhealthy? Well then just stay obese and unhealthy! You'll just gain it back again, you big failure, so don't even bother trying!

Did it take into account that a lot of people fad diet, rather than make a serious lifestyle change and then the weight comes creeping back once the fad is over.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Maintenance of weight is no easier or harder then losing weight. It's just that most people think it will be easier and don't take the proper steps to ensure maintenance is achieved. To lose weight you must be in a caloric deficit. One way or another you figure out how to get in one. Here at MFP most people track intake and output. Through a combination of lower intake and higher output we lose weight. When it comes time to maintain many people stop tracking input and output. They feel that part of the job is done. This is where they fail. Over 100 lbs lost and 3+ years in, I am still not confident that I could maintain weight without tracking calories and weighing portion sizes. Would I gain the entire 100+ lbs back, that's highly doubtful, but would I be able to maintain my physique, I don't think so. For me, nutrient tracking is now part of my life. I will need to do it as long as I want to keep what I have achieved. I always say to people just starting to lose weight, "Is your plan something you can stick to for the rest of your life?" If it isn't, rethink the plan.

Therein, I believe, lies the problem. How can anyone know what they can or will stick wth for the rest of their life?

The message I am getting here then is...I should just not bother. Because honestly, I DON'T want to come on here and track every little bit that I put in my mouth for the rest of my life. I don't want to be preoccupied with food and my weight, that's part of why I want to lose it. I feel that's obsessive, and I've never found obsessiveness to be a good thing...
    When I lost weight and reached my goal before, I began to eat more intuitively, exercised just because it felt good (not to burn calories) and kept 90% of my weight off for 5+ years. THAT'S what I want again. And I know exactly why and when I began to put the weight back on-severe depression and anti-depressant medications, and physical injuries that caused me to be nearly bed-bound for extended periods. I no longer struggle with those issues, so perhaps I can be successful this time? We shall see...but I'm not going to say I will be...because life always rears it's ugly head.

Many MFPalers plan on tracking for life, even if it's somewhat intermittent where they track only after they have put on a few post maintenance pounds. If this concept makes you uncomfortable, yes, you may need to do some thinking about alternate maintenance plans at least, possibly even weight loss plans
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

How do you know you can live with it in the future, when you don't know what the future will bring? Everyone seems so sure it's fad diets causing all of this. I know that is not always true. I have never done a fad diet or a VLCD. I've never got to a goal and said "Okay, I'm done.". I've never done any of the things people are trying to blame this on, yet I've lost and regained several times in my life. Yes, my priorities changed. Obviously. But it wasn't because I didn't plan to stick to it.

I have no doubt that is part of the problem. But, I promise you it's not as simple as "tell yourself you can do this forever".

To be duplicitous, yes it is that easy...if that is the persons personality and they are not suffering any unresolved issues regarding weight or food. Those that have under lying issues can not have permanent success until the under lying issues are addressed. This article seems to be based on those that just get to a goal (with the best intentions) but did not make a plan and/or never dealt with why they needed to lose weight in the first place (not talking number facts, but why did they eat too much). The sad fact is if you asked the majority of people that loss and gained most did try a fad or vlcd, they also called it a diet and never actually changed. You may not have but you would be the minority. Also if your past successes were a lifestyle change, then priorities would not have changed regarding health....it would just be how you are. Until someone changes themselves and it just is, nothing will be permanent, but if they truly change, then it is just how it is and will continue to be. For some their issues could be addictive in nature and a true change never happens and it is a struggle they will always have, for these their strength and determination keep them on track or it breaks them.

Piorities regarding health don't have to change in order to gain weight back. I've never been unhealthy whether I was overweight or not.

If you want to believe everyone else is doing it wrong and your lifestyle will never change just because you say it won't, I'm sure I won't convince you otherwise. Best of luck to you.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    So the message is: Are you obese and unhealthy? Well then just stay obese and unhealthy! You'll just gain it back again, you big failure, so don't even bother trying!

Did it take into account that a lot of people fad diet, rather than make a serious lifestyle change and then the weight comes creeping back once the fad is over.

Seriously? That is the message you took from that article?