Stomach problems all week - brought on by clean eating?

Options
Hi everyone, hopefully this is the right place to post this, apologies if it isn't!

I started eating cleaner and losing weight at New Year and have been doing so for the majority of the last few months, with the exception of a few weeks when I had quite a bad injury.

I have been eating clean again for the last couple of weeks. When I say clean, I basically eat protein sources such as meat or fish with veg, salad, fruit, water, mainly almond/soya milk. I do have the odd processed bit of food. Since Saturday I have been pretty relaxed in my eating and have been falling behind on my diet and exercise. Since around Monday, I have had horrible bloating, cramping, stomach pains, etc. I work at a desk all day and the bloating and cramping have been horrendous, to the point where I'm constantly thinking about the end of the day so I can go home. The cramping between the bottom of my stomach and pubic bone/pelvic area makes me feel very 'tender'. I am wondering, has clean eating over a prolonged period of the last few months caused me to react badly to my recent relaxed eating habits this week? These abdominal problems have literally been constant since Monday. I have always been able to eat what I want but i'm starting to wonder whether the clean eating is turning my body against 'everyday' food so to speak.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Maybe you added something back in. More dairy for example?
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Define clean.
  • mom2my4boys
    mom2my4boys Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I have been eating "clean" (which really is just the way i was raised) for about a year now. I find I cannot tolerate heavily processed foods anymore. I can do a bite of this or that without problem but a plateful = gas, bloating, stomach pain. (Tmi- constipation) I'm so sad that the last few times I've treated my family to pizza, I've paid dearly for it for days. (To the point of wondering if my gallbladder or something is going to explode) I'm sure you'll get lots of different responses to your quesion, this is simply my experience. I hope your belly returns to normal soon!
  • MissJessicaxx
    MissJessicaxx Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I've had this issue as well. I went from eating whatever I want to eating mainly fruits, veggies, and as many unprocessed foods as possible and I got incredibly sick. (TMI, but we're talking bloating, bad gas, some nausea, diarrhea, etc.) During this period, I also started doing high intensity workouts.

I'm no doctor and this is just my thoughts on it - if you're used to eating one way and you stop feeding your body what it's used to - it's gonna detox and take a bit to adjust to new healthy food. Naturally, I think certain fruits and veggies can be a bit more acidic too, even though they're "better" for us.