tasty things to do with zucchini?

Options
ploppersdf1
ploppersdf1 Posts: 89 Member
so i am trying to incorporate more veggies into my diet. i really like the flavor of zucchini, plus where i live i can get them cheaply, but i can't really think of things to do with it, other than breading and frying it, which kind of defeats the purpose of them.. so i was wondering if anyone can give me some things to do with them. Thanks!

Replies

• SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    It taste really good in spaghetti and similar dishes.

These are really good:
    http://damndelicious.net/2013/10/02/pizza-stuffed-zucchini-boats/

It taste good in eggs, too.

Zucchini is very versatile. You're only limited by your imagination with it, really.
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options

Yes, definitely spaghetti!!

It is so good with alfredo or regular red sauce. However... it might give you the poops, just sayin'
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Put it in the trash and eat winter squash instead? :tongue:
  • katlynrose85
    Options
    Oh gosh I hate it! I wish I could get to like it, but GROSS!!!!!!! Good luck with that! My mom used to use it instead of apples in an apple crisp tho and I actually didnt mind that.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options

Yes, definitely spaghetti!!

It is so good with alfredo or regular red sauce. However... it might give you the poops, just sayin'

I just slice it and steam it, then serve it with marinara, as a replacement for the noodles.

It's also delicious grilled, with some lemon pepper or seasoned salt. I just throw it on the grill along with whatever meat I'm cooking. Or as part of a kabob.
  • katlynrose85
    Options
    Oh gosh I hate it! I wish I could get to like it, but GROSS!!!!!!! Good luck with that! My mom used to use it instead of apples in an apple crisp tho and I actually didnt mind that.
  • baminian
    baminian Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Look for a vegetable "noodler" and use it to replace the high calorie, high carb wheat pasta.

I have "Veggetti"... You just sautee it or boil it for a quick minute and use it as you would regular pasta. Check it out.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Slice it in half, the long way, brush each half with olive oil. Sprinkle with herb blend of choice (italian is delightful) and liberally with parmesan cheese. Roast for 15-20 minutes at 350. Yum!
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Bake them with cheese and spaghetti sauce, find a way to fry them without frying them lol, sautee them, zucchini bread. This is one of my favorite summer and fall foods. I forgot you can also stuff it with a ton of different things and bake it. That's probably the simplest recipe.
  • baminian
    baminian Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Also... you can cut them real thin with a mandolin and bake at a low temp to make "chips" out of them. I'm talking like 200 degrees F, for like 2 hours. You basically dehydrate them and they get very "chippy". Season as you like.
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I love to slice it into circles, brown in a bit of oil or butter, then grate a little fresh Parmesan on top.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Zucchini pilaf is the shizz.
    Sauteed with a little dill is good.
    I even like them raw, actually.
  • aqualeo1
    aqualeo1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Slice really thin and sautée with cooking spray, salt, garlic, & a little white cooking wine . Soo good!
  • H0llyG0lightly
    H0llyG0lightly Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Stuffed zucchini boats

E.g. http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/08/chicken-enchilada-stuffed-zucchini-boats.html

(She has a bunch on the skinnytaste website.)
  • Meow112
    Meow112 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    What I like to do is make zucchini pizza boats!
    http://damndelicious.net/2013/10/02/pizza-stuffed-zucchini-boats/

PIZZA STUFFED ZUCCHINI BOATS
    Prep Time
    10 minutes
    Cook Time
    20 minutes
    Total Time
    30 minutes
    Yield
    With marinara sauce, ground turkey and mozzarella cheese, these healthy zucchini boats offer cheesy comfort without the guilt!

INGREDIENTS

4 zucchini
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    8 ounces ground turkey
    1/2 teaspoon oregano
    1/2 teaspoon basil
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
    1 1/2 cups marinara sauce
    2/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
    INSTRUCTIONS

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
    Cut each zucchini in half horizontally, then carefully scoop out the center of the zucchini, reserving for another use, leaving about 1/2-inch of zucchini on the skin.
    Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium high heat. Add ground turkey, oregano, basil, salt and pepper, to taste. Cook until browned, about 3-5 minutes, making sure to crumble the turkey as it cooks; drain excess fat. Stir in marinara sauce until heated through, about 1-2 minutes.
    Add ground turkey mixture to each zucchini and sprinkle with mozzarella. Place into oven and bake until the zucchini is tender and the cheese has melted, about 10-12 minutes.
  • Debssssssssss
    Debssssssssss Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I make little quiches with them.

Grate a zucchini. squeeze out the moisture, season, add some finely diced capsicum and tomotoes, bacon (or alternative) if you like, then crack a egg or two into the mixture. stir it all up and pop them into a muffin tray. (I use a silicon one) Bake for about 15 - 20 mins. Yummy.
  • Happilyeverafters
    Options
    I put them in all kinds of stuff, but for breakfast I sauté them with scrambled eggs and top with some parmesan cheese. Or I like to slice them into circles and drizzle a little olive oil over them and bake them until they are slightly brown and crispy.
  • sugarlemonpie
    sugarlemonpie Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I love to stir fry them with carrots, onion, and cubes of chicken breast. Serve over cabbage and a portion of rice with a little soy sauce. :)
  • joan23_us
    joan23_us Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    so i am trying to incorporate more veggies into my diet. i really like the flavor of zucchini, plus where i live i can get them cheaply, but i can't really think of things to do with it, other than breading and frying it, which kind of defeats the purpose of them.. so i was wondering if anyone can give me some things to do with them. Thanks!

stir fry on high heat onion, capsicum, eggplant and zucchini with italian herbs and spices, throw in your meat of choice and call it a "clean eating" recipe! lol

or cook it mediterraian style, slice rub a garlic clove, brush with olive oil and then grill.... eat with grilled haloumi cheese just make sure you fit the cheese in your daily macros.
  • liftingandlipstick
    liftingandlipstick Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    My favorite, which I do more typically with yellow crookneck squash, but works with zucchini when I can get it, is steamed to crisp tender, sprinkled liberally with kosher salt, dill and lemon juice, plus just a smidge of butter/butter flavored substitute of your choice. Ummm . . . I could seriously eat 3 or 4 squashes prepared like this for dinner. And nothing else :)