Combating post-workout muscle soreness

Options
fatcity66
fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
Any suggestions on what to do about post-strength training muscle soreness? It seems I am highly prone to soreness when I start doing more strength exercises, or change my routine at all. Yesterday I did 3 sets of squats during my circuit with no added weight, and today just walking is torture! I have tried taking Aleve and tylenol, but if they are helping, it's not much. I don't have a tub to soak in right now, but I'm moving soon, so then I will be able to do epsom salt baths. In the meantime, are there any ways to lessen or even prevent this? I am afraid I will still be so sore tomorrow I can't do my planned strength workout. I didn't really think I had done a very intense workout.

Thanks.

Replies

• GemimaFitzTed
    GemimaFitzTed Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Make sure you drink adequate water before and after your workout. And make sure you stretch well after your sessions!
  • jimbmc
    jimbmc Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Drink alot of water, and if you've been doing Squats, try a cold/ice bath when you get in. THey recommend upto 10 mins in a cold bath. Most professional athletes use this method.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    do more of them.

DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) happens when you use a muscle in a different way or after a period of not using it for that particular movement.

Movement is really the best way to help get over them...and not much will prevent them (if the above is true)

If you are sore tomorrow the best thing is to do your workout.

I was a bit sore after working in my flower beds over the weekend...I did my workouts and bam...gone.
  • fatcity66
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions so far. Keep em coming!
  • Guitarjon
    Guitarjon Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'm currently sat here swinging my arms around in the air helping relieve DOMS from my chest and shoulders from 2 days ago.

Some dynamic stetching helps. So get moving. It will be tight at first but will feel loads better in no time.
  • Guitarjon
    Guitarjon Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Also, I find the rower in my gym a great way to loosen up leg and hip muscles when I've been squatting heavy. In fact every time I go in the gym now I do a couple of minutes on the rower for that bit of a stretch and it does the world of good.

Actually feels quite nice.
  • Want2BeBetter
    Want2BeBetter Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I used to find that I had pretty much unbearable pain when I exercised, much more than seemed right for the amount. A trainer I talked to said to try BCAA's, the amino acids. I was a bit doubtful as I had been eating extra protien already but found they made a huge difference for me. It could be worth a try if the other methods suggested don't work.

Until the BCAA's nothing else worked for me, they are not cheap though but worth it for me. Not sure why the protien doesn't work the same, did a little reading about and think it was something about them being tied up with the other things in protien.

Also interesting is they don't seem to have much of a taste when taken with peppermint tea, just a funny thing I'ver noticed.
  • phatguerilla
    phatguerilla Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be taking painkillers for what is at worst mild inflammation, tylenol/paracetamol is not without it many and significant negative side effects.

Training the bodypart more often almost always results in reduced doms as does keeping active the day(s) after training. Now that I've returned to full body training I almost can't get doms even if I change exercises or increase volume or use drop sets.

In the meantime try stretching regularly and keeping active. Everyone feels most stiff after sitting at their desk for several hours (even if they didn't train the day before) but generally doms will recede after a few minutes moving about, unless you've overdone the volume on a new exercise or trained a muscle to extreme fatigue.

As you don't have a bath perhaps try contrast showers or even icing to reduce inflammation and increase blood flow.
  • fatcity66
    Options
    I did use the elliptical for 30 min yesterday to try to relieve some of the soreness in my legs, but obviously, it didn't help much. And I had to struggle just to get through those 30 minutes.'

There's really no danger in taking painkillers in moderation, certainly no need to swear them off entirely.
  • adipace815
    adipace815 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I started taking a magnesium/calcium supplement daily and that seems to have helped a great deal for me. You should probably consult with your physician first. Here is an article to take with you: http://www.livestrong.com/article/520079-calcium-magnesium-sore-muscles/.
  • phatguerilla
    Options

There's really no danger in taking painkillers in moderation, certainly no need to swear them off entirely.

I didn't suggest swearing them off entirely, but if you are taking them for doms which according to your op is a regular occurrence I would question your moderation. They are notable cause of stomach ulcers but more importantly are going to have a negligible effect on inflammation. If you absolutely insist on taking tablets for something that does not require a cure, at the very least you should be taking a mild otc anti-inflammatory which might at least have some bearing on the nature of your problem.

But before that you should be looking at non-medicated means of reducing inflammation including any of the following;
    icing, contrast showers, epson salts, fish oils, zinc and magnesium/zma supplement, vitamin D3 and curcumin, in addition to massage, foam rolling, light stretching and cardio.
  • fatcity66
    Options

I didn't suggest swearing them off entirely, but if you are taking them for doms which according to your op is a regular occurrence I would question your moderation. They are notable cause of stomach ulcers but more importantly are going to have a negligible effect on inflammation. If you absolutely insist on taking tablets for something that does not require a cure, at the very least you should be taking a mild otc anti-inflammatory which might at least have some bearing on the nature of your problem.

But before that you should be looking at non-medicated means of reducing inflammation including any of the following;
    icing, contrast showers, epson salts, fish oils, zinc and magnesium/zma supplement, vitamin D3 and curcumin, in addition to massage, foam rolling, light stretching and cardio.

I took one Aleve yesterday in 24 hrs. I take more than that during PMS due to severe cramps that otherwise incapacitate me. My doctor actually recommends I take ibuprophen every 4-6 hours for 2 days to prevent and relieve menstrual cramps. There is no harm in this (barring a pre-existing condition, which goes without saying), and I have never had an ulcer in my life. Take your junk science elsewhere, please.
  • marcj1234
    marcj1234 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    As an MD, I wouldn't recommend drinking a lot of water prior to the workout, just during and after the activity. The reason being is because it can interrupt your body's ability of controlling your electrolytes like salt and potassium. Ice is the best thing to do and hydration with a sports drink and water. NSAIDS like ibuprofen, alieve, etc can affect your kidneys so don't use them. Besides that stops muscle healing and that includes Tylenol. Other pain killers will lose effect after awhile and can lead to overuse of the muscles do to the lack of pain.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Stretch and foam roll.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I ride my bike for 20 minutes or so after I lift, and it has cut back on the DOMS quite a bit. Stretching, light cardio, movement, and time are the best treatments for DOMS. After a while, you won't get them nearly as often.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    ...I don't have a tub to soak in right now, but I'm moving soon, so then I will be able to do epsom salt baths...

Thanks.

Sorry you can't do this yet, but the Epsom salt soak is my personal favorite. Glad to hear you'll have tub access soon. I agree with drinking lots of water and using a foam roller, too.
  • Nikkisfitblog
    Nikkisfitblog Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Use that muscle more often. Eg...I used to get real bad doms in my legs...started training them twice a week. Now its only mild if at all...depending on what i did.

Eat lots. Undereating means poor recovery. Eat the appropriate amount of protein for your LBM, preworkout (fats and carbs) and post workout nutrition (carbs and protein).

Drink lots of water.

Foam roll, stretch and warm up and cool down.

Proper rest days.
  • phatguerilla
    Options

I took one Aleve yesterday in 24 hrs. I take more than that during PMS due to severe cramps that otherwise incapacitate me. My doctor actually recommends I take ibuprophen every 4-6 hours for 2 days to prevent and relieve menstrual cramps. There is no harm in this (barring a pre-existing condition, which goes without saying), and I have never had an ulcer in my life. Take your junk science elsewhere, please.

Its not junk science and I don't really care at this point if you get an ulcer or not but saying the only danger is with a pre-existing condition is foolish. Good luck with your side effect goals of 2014.
  • lnt_helent
    lnt_helent Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Taking aspirin long term (as in moderately high dose EVERYDAY for years, for people at risk of CHD/heartattack) is what will give you ulcers, which is why you get enteric coated (wax coat) ones if you're going to be taking them long term. Taking aspirin or ibuprofen from time to time will not give you ulcers, and paracetamol won't give you ulcers either. Great for pain and inflammation relief (DOMS is associated with mild inflammation).
    Either way, there is ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with taking any of these painkillers for muscle soreness.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    As an MD, I wouldn't recommend drinking a lot of water prior to the workout, just during and after the activity. The reason being is because it can interrupt your body's ability of controlling your electrolytes like salt and potassium. Ice is the best thing to do and hydration with a sports drink and water. NSAIDS like ibuprofen, alieve, etc can affect your kidneys so don't use them. Besides that stops muscle healing and that includes Tylenol. Other pain killers will lose effect after awhile and can lead to overuse of the muscles do to the lack of pain.

^ Yep...out of personal experience... You should have pointed out, that with weight training, we will cause inflammation ON PURPOSE to make our muscles grow. IMHO Unless there is a serious injury, there is usually no reason to flood the entire body with NSAIDs. And even in case of an injury that doesn't prevent me entirely from training, I rather take a Tylenol to take 'the top off the pain', and spot-treat the bits and pieces, like bruises or joints with a sports cream.
    I've had the debate with my sports physician after a calf injury, and in fact, it healed much faster in the end without the ton of ibuprofen that he originally prescribed.
    If the pain lasts for several days after the training, I would also take a look at the nutrition. I found, adding multi vitamins, flaxseed oil, and fish oil helped me, as well as adding extra BCAAs, glutamine and creatine to my post-workout shake. It works for me to a point, that I can treat simple headaches with an extra souped up shake. Might just be me, but whenever I can get away without medication, I'll do it....
    I would also suggest, taking a good look at the training schedule, and making absolutely sure to avoid pounding the same muscle groups on days in a row. Rest days are vital for complete recovery! And I mean REST, not disguised cardio days....

Get well soon, train safe!