Should I allow myself to eat a candy bar?

Options
Ok, so I've had a super off day and I basically didn't get to eat breakfast or lunch. I know this isn't healthy and it's not an everyday thing, but today has just been hectic and it happened, it's over, and there's nothing I can do about it now. For dinner I ate green beans, corn, and half of a beef patty. I also had about a cup of strawberries today. I've already worked out for the day, I spent an hour on the elliptical at an 11 incline and level 8 resistance. I feel like I definitely have not gotten enough calories today and I'm already starting to feel hungry and kind of weak.

My main problem is that I can't just go get something healthy to eat, because I'm living on campus right now and during the summer our dining halls are only open certain hours. So, everything is closed right now. Also, I have literally no money. I am definitely a broke college student and I won't have any money until I get paid tomorrow.

We do have vending machines at our school though and they are looking like my only option. They use take our dining cards so money isn't an issue, but I really really really don't want to eat that junky food. My options out of the vending machine are candy bars, I think they have like twix, snickers, reeses, ect or chips. They have like doritos and ruffles and stuff. I have been eating clean for a while now and I've lost 14 lbs. I don't think that one bag of chips or a candy bar will ruin everything, but I just am feeling really guilty about it. I know this obviously isn't going to be enough calories to complete my day and that it's going to be the sugar rush effect then I will be hungry later.. but really I'm not sure what to do.

What is the best option for me here because I'm really unsure of how to handle this situation? And don't worry, tomorrow I am most definitely eating all of my meals.

Replies

• gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    If you want a candy bar or chips, have it. It sounds like it would fit into your macros since you've barely eaten. I think that eating candy/chips is better than nothing at this point.

But...I'm no expert on this either. This is just my opinion.
  • accendo
    accendo Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    If it fits into your calorie allowance, why not?
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    No

Send me the candy bar, thanks
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Stop labeling food as good or bad.... If it fits your caloric intake then eat it... Sure you want to fill your calories with proper nutrition but there is nothing wrong with a grab bag of chips or a snickers bar... I eat ice cream just about every night cause I make it fit and there is no guilt in that.... Best of Luck
  • mamarundrc
    mamarundrc Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    I have found if I don't allow myself a crappy thing (chips, candy, or take out) in a tough situation when I am hungry I will eventually get so hungry that I then binge on something even crappier. Give yourself the candy bar and move on. Don't dwell on it don't think about how you "went off plan". Just admit you did and the move on and just get back to your normal eating tomorrow. We all hit situations where we either eat something unhealthy or we are forced by circumstance to make a less than healthy choice. I think the problem is that we beat ourselves up for it for days when if we would just let go, it wouldn't really matter.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    If you are going to eat a meal out of a vending machine, Snickers is the best option. Lots of protein and healthy fats from the peanuts, compared to other choices of sugar or chips. Not the greatest dinner to have, but occasionally won't kill you.
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Eat a Snickers...I find they hit the spot when you're a little hungry and want something sweet.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    A candy bar is a dessert. It is not meant as a meal replacement item.

You should not eat it.

What is going to happen is you will have a huge insulin spike and wind up hungrier than before just a little after you eat the candy bar.

Now, if this thread was about having ate well all day and had calories left over for an indulgence, I'd say yes.

But for you. No.
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    When I was in college, when I'd get paid a little, I'd walk to the closest pharmacy and buy canned mixed nuts and Clif bars or Luna bars, and stock up! I made sure I have those snacks in my room for when the dining halls closed :)

Hopefully you can find a place to buy healthy snacks to keep in your room for emergencies! But, if you want a candy bar and it fits into your days calories, go for it!
  • Jordancsmith99
    Jordancsmith99 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You wouldn't believe how much chocolate I eat and still lose 2lb a week! I can easily eat 3/4 share bags of chocolate a week, so no, don't feel guilty about having one bar!
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    As others have said, eat a candy bar. I just wanted to add that there is nothing inherently "unhealthy" about not eating breakfast or lunch. It sounds like you also had a very small dinner, which I wouldn't recommend, but the timing of your meals/calories does not matter. If that happens again, eat a larger dinner and have some dessert/candy/chips, whatever, to make up some calories.
  • BiblioTrecho
    BiblioTrecho Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    As someone else said, don't label calories as good or bad.

That being said -- so you had one off day. You've been doing very well as you said so all you have to do is tell yourself that tomorrow you will do better than you did today.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    I second (or third?) the snickers, although the reeses will work too, but you definitely want something that's going to have some proteins and fats along with the sugar if that's all you're going to get.

And while I agree with everyone that says to not worry about the candy bar (I have DQ dipped cones at least once a week), the getting so distracted you forget to eat and having nothing available in an emergency is really what I would be working on! I say that as someone who frequently forgot to eat for entire days while in grad school, so I understand how it goes, but it's a bad habit to get in to....
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    A candy bar is a dessert. It is not meant as a meal replacement item.

You should not eat it.

What is going to happen is you will have a huge insulin spike and wind up hungrier than before just a little after you eat the candy bar.

Now, if this thread was about having ate well all day and had calories left over for an indulgence, I'd say yes.

But for you. No.

She has grossly under ate for the day already and the best thing for her to do with limited resources and money is to eat nothing and starve.... Um I think I would have to disagree... Better planning, sure that would be the number one option on a normal day but under the circumstances I would get a bag a chips and a snickers bar and call it a day... Just my two cents....
  • janupshaw
    janupshaw Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Snickers or Reese's...Or go pop your head in on all your friends, maybe they have something yummy to share!
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    I like Twix or Snickers . . . Oh, and Reese's, but frozen, always frozen
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Stop labeling food as good or bad.... If it fits your caloric intake then eat it... Sure you want to fill your calories with proper nutrition but there is nothing wrong with a grab bag of chips or a snickers bar... I eat ice cream just about every night cause I make it fit and there is no guilt in that.... Best of Luck

All of this, including the ice cream.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    If it fits your calorie budget, then it shouldn't even be a question. Eating is better than not eating when you're hungry. Since you won't have another option til tomorrow, I would maybe suggest being careful about which item you select, and make sure it's filling and will keep you satisfied until the dining hall opens again...Snickers tends to be a good choice for that purpose, but anything with a significant bit of protein should work.

ETA: And I also +1 the no good foods/bad foods. And the ice cream. I eat lots of desserts, but I also enjoy lots of fish and poultry and tons of salad. Losing weight would not be worth it to me if I had to stay away from foods I love.
  • CaddieMay
    CaddieMay Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I've been feeling sick the past few days, so my appetite has taken a nosedive (even though I can feel the hunger). Today I felt like I was going to faint when I was running an errand, so I bought a Snickers bar to hold me over until I could get home and eat dinner. Perfect for my situation because 1) I was already feeling ill, 2) I had to take care of myself immediately with the resources at hand (there were other choices in that store, but none as appetizing as a Snickers, am I right?, and 3) When I'm in a poor physical or mental condition due to sickness, sleep deprivation, or my bipolar beastliness kicking in, calories and macros are no longer a priority at the moment. Self-preservation is.
  • zeussmith718
    zeussmith718 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I find that my body appreciates it when I cheat here and there as long as its within reason. I tend to notice an extra pound or 2 lost the next day.