How bad is subway?

Options
On one topic on here I saw someone saying that subway is just as bad as it mc donalds?
Surely it can't be though because if you compare meat bread and salads to deep fried chips and greasy burgers surely subway would be better?

Replies

• socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    On one topic on here I saw someone saying that subway is just as bad as it mc donalds?
    Surely it can't be though because if you compare meat bread and salads to deep fried chips and greasy burgers surely subway would be better?

For me, both are stack high with sodium
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I don't label food good or bad, are there some foods more nutrient dense yeah but if I want a subway and it fits within my caloric intake then I will have it... Best of Luck....
  • BoatsnHose
    BoatsnHose Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you get.

A turkey sub with veggies with mustard is decent, but yeah a meatball sub or tuna probably have over 1000 cals for a footlong
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I only get the 6 under 6 (the ones listed on their napkins, 6g of fat or less per sub). Most of the time it's the chicken breast. I feel like they are kind of bready but with Baked Lays or apple slices, there is no comparison to even a cheeseburger or hamburger and fries from McDonalds.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I only get the 6 under 6 (the ones listed on their napkins, 6g of fat or less per sub). Most of the time it's the chicken breast. I feel like they are kind of bready but with Baked Lays or apple slices, there is no comparison to even a cheeseburger or hamburger and fries from McDonalds.

Yeah, ok
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Neither are bad so long as you fit them into your overall calorie plan. I do tend to get more veggies in when I eat at Subway, but I'm not going to miss out on my favorite fries fresh from the deep fry. I've eaten Subway twice a week and Mcdonalds once a week since I've successfully started to lose weight last December.

The key is to be aware of what you're eating and how it fits into your daily calorie limit. You can't chose a meal that contains more calories than you're allowed in a day every day and expect to lose weight. But you can find a sub or mcdonalds meal that will fit under your calorie goal.
  • Taiser
    Taiser Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Depends on the sub... I have it all the time. Ham sub on whole wheat with just cheese, veggies and mustard. 12" has about 500 cals which is fine. When you start adding mayo and other junk it gets pretty calorie heavy though...
  • lucasmoten
    lucasmoten Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    It's alot easier for me to eat healthier at McDonalds then Subway.
    I would also be willing to bet that more people lose weight eating McDonald's then they do eating Subway.
  • RageEight
    RageEight Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I very rarely get an actual sub anymore. I typically get a double meat chopped salad, which works out to be essentially a foot long minus bread. IIRC, the bread is generally around ~400 calories for a foot long, so cutting that out is pretty significant. Calories aren't too bad without the bread (assuming reasonable on the sauce), but, the biggest issue is that the sodium content is brutal.
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you get.

A turkey sub with veggies with mustard is decent, but yeah a meatball sub or tuna probably have over 1000 cals for a footlong

True - but those 1000 cals are way more filling (I feel anyway) than fries and a flat burger. It's been a while since I've eaten a meatball sub but I remember being just stuffed for hours after.
  • katlynrose85
    Options
    I think their salads are awesome!
  • rsilverlining
    rsilverlining Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I think it's the dressing that makes the biggest difference. Mayo vs. Mustard is huge.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Given that my favorite sub has ham, turkey, bacon, cheese and mayo, it's not exactly on the low cal menu....:laugh: Don't really care either. I also enjoy the fried chicken paste shapes from McD's! I eat both regularly and manage to make them fit my calorie and macro goals.
  • jokick
    jokick Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    What are your goals when you say bad? I am a big fan of a double meat chopped salad at Subway for a low carb, low fat, high protein filling lunch. Not a fan of McDonalds in general myself but you can make most places "bad" or "good" if you are talking calories.

And FYI Subway has always used light mayo by default, they do have regular mayo on request. It's only 50 calories for a 6" portion so its not making or breaking you.
  • CarolinkaCjj
    CarolinkaCjj Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation. There good options at Subway - pile on the veggies. I have to confess that I am still somewhat of a Jared fan actually - I lived in Indiana for a while - read his story in the local paper before Subway picked him up as a spokesman. He really did just eat at Subway and start walking everywhere. Choose wisely and pay attention.
  • BoatsnHose
    BoatsnHose Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you get.

True - but those 1000 cals are way more filling (I feel anyway) than fries and a flat burger. It's been a while since I've eaten a meatball sub but I remember being just stuffed for hours after.

Good point and their meatball subs are actually pretty good haha. Problem is many people believe the "eat fresh" advertising and think that douche Jared lost all his weight eating whatever he wanted at Subway - not the case.
  • _shannon92
    _shannon92 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I get a 6 inch turkey breast on honey oat, with loads of veggies and honey mustard. Works out to about 340 calories. That alone will fill me up, so it's a great option for me.
  • NH_Norma
    NH_Norma Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    6" honey oat, roasted chicken, no cheese, no mayo, add lettuce, spinach, cucumber, onion, tomato, green pepper, and carrots when they have them, black pepper...wrap it up! about 350 calories and quite filling. Once in a while, I add avocado if I don't want it "dry", and if really want to splurge I add "a tiny thin ribbon of light mayo". I eat there about once a week, it fits my calorie goal without trouble.
  • pleasepleaseno
    pleasepleaseno Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I always get a veggie sub with mustard & sweet onion sauce and cheese. It's under 300 cals and soooo good
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    It's really really really bad.