Is walking a legitimate exercise?

Options

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Walking is one of the best exercises.

Define "best" and in what context?

Because pace will usually max out at some point just because of limits of walking speed.

If weight keeps dropping, the exercise actually becomes easier and easier, less than maintenance you might say.

Do that as your only workout, and you'll actually lose cardio function.

Akin to taking weight off the bar and saying you are still lifting in a beneficial way - never mind the fact you'll eventually lose muscle to meet the needs of your new load.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Walking is one of the best exercises.

Define "best" and in what context?

Because pace will usually max out at some point just because of limits of walking speed.

If weight keeps dropping, the exercise actually becomes easier and easier, less than maintenance you might say.

Do that as your only workout, and you'll actually lose cardio function.

Akin to taking weight off the bar and saying you are still lifting in a beneficial way - never mind the fact you'll eventually lose muscle to meet the needs of your new load.

I would define it as "one of the best" because it can be done almost anywhere, by almost anybody, at any level of fitness, and with minimal equipment required. It can be tailored to whatever the person's fitness needs are. Its only drawback is the time required for those at a high level of fitness.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I would define it as "one of the best" because it can be done almost anywhere, by almost anybody, at any level of fitness, and with minimal equipment required. It can be tailored to whatever the person's fitness needs are. Its only drawback is the time required for those at a high level of fitness.

A serious drawback--and I'm hardly at a "high" level of fitness--is that walking on a flat surface doesn't get my heart rate into the aerobic zone. Increasing the duration unfortunately doesn't increase its intensity much. To improve or even maintain my aerobic potential, I require higher-intensity activities.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options

A serious drawback--and I'm hardly at a "high" level of fitness--is that walking on a flat surface doesn't get my heart rate into the aerobic zone. Increasing the duration unfortunately doesn't increase its intensity. To improve or even maintain my aerobic potential, I require higher-intensity activities.
    Depends on the terrain and speed of walking. I just walked an hour with my dogs at a fast pace and I definitely got as good of a workout as I got from running a few days ago. Also, last weekend I walked in rough terrain and even though the distance and time wasn't that long it was a serious workout. You can also walk with a backpack to increase the intensity. Try walking 12 miles with a 40 lb pack and you'll know what i mean.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    At 560 lbs. I could barely stand let alone walk so I started in a therapy pool at the YMCA using weight displacement to allow me to stand long enough to exercise. I literally started out walking from one side of the therapy pool to other. Once across and back was one lap and I kept adding laps every time a went.. I spent 17 months in the therapy pool and lost around 170 pounds before I started working my way to the shallow end of the pool, taking on more of my own weight til I was able to get out of the pool to do my exercise... So yeah walking was good exercise for me, if allowed me to regain my strength so that I could literally walk again... Best of Luck
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Depends on the terrain
    That's why I stated "on a flat surface". The walking paths nearest me are sidewalks or asphalt or dirt with very slight hills--and I've taken those many times at maximum pace without getting my heart rate up.

Obviously, hiking up the Grand Canyon was a more intense experience. A heavy pack does up the intensity, but also the impact, which is why I've found the best cardio for me to be cross-trainers and bikes. :)
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    I think walking is good exercise no matter what your fitness level. If it's not strenuous for you then it's good for recovery.
  • yvie63
    yvie63 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Definitely yes. If you set time aside from normal daily activity and go for a walk I count that as exercise. Walking is a great natural way to exercise, it's free and gives you time to think and daydream. If you want to challenge yourself more try power walking.
  • JenToms80
    JenToms80 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    A good brisk walk gets the heart rate up...sounds like excercise to me! :drinker:
  • MargaretSobers
    MargaretSobers Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Yes of course, walking is a legitimate exercise because i have lost 40lbs by walking and it can be more helpful if you will take herbal tea with it:)
  • xToniBx
    xToniBx Posts: 27
    Options
    Yeah, helps you loose weight depends how long you walk for. I usually walk my dog 35 mins or 45 mins nearly everyday, makes you feel sweat and hot which is a good thing
  • clarebear230786
    clarebear230786 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I was in the gym quite a lot and kept getting knee injuries. I started walking daily around 10 weeks ago and only go in the gym twice a week. I Walk for 60 mins per day at 4.5 mile an hour and the change in my body shape is brilliant. Walking is the way forward for me! I've lost nearly 14lbs since january and got about another 10lbs to go :)
    It also keeps my knee problems under control :)
  • rodduz
    rodduz Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    No. Do proper exersice, unless it's walking up hills or power-walking. They have their place.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I walk a hell of a lot of km's a day. Today it's 15 miles. Tomorrow it will be about the same..... Sunday I'll be doing 112km at least.... so that's about 70 miles.

Walking is a legit exercise & people who say it is not are just stupid, lazy & want you to give up.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Walking is a fantastic thing to do, I think a lot of people would do well to more of it (I'm probably as guilty as most for not doing enough of it).
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    No. Do proper exersice, unless it's walking up hills or power-walking. They have their place.

'scuse me? Proper exercise? Read my post above this one. Tell me then that it's not proper exercise. I can happily lose weight and maintain on walking alone. This is no hills & no power walking.

You have a thing about getting the heart rate up before it's legit? No way. I can lift & not break a sweat.... guess it's not legit.
  • xToniBx
    xToniBx Posts: 27
    Options
    Yeah im always out of breath when im walking 45 mins or 35 mins. I get hot and tired at the end which is a good thing! I walk round block, two long streets, abit of hill if i go quick way which is a 35 mins one
  • EricJonrosh
    EricJonrosh Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I'm sick and tired of people saying "walking won't get you in shape", and "that's not exercise". What's your view on this subject? I walked two miles today. Was that exercise?

LV98FOE.gif
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Walking is great - Don't listen to anyone that tells you that walking is anything else!
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    Yes walking is exercise. The best exercise is the one you will do