Want to start running but I'm embarrassed

Options

Replies

• SusanUW83
    SusanUW83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I just ran the San Diego Half Marathon and as my pace slowed near the end of the race, I found myself being passed by a lot of people who were a lot heavier than me. I'm more a turtle than a hare myself, but I can't imagine doing so well at my former weight and even more. If you want to start running, it starts with a few steps at a time.
  • PonderinGal
    Options
    Oh, I sympathize with you entirely! However, there are many things one must keep in mind: firstly, and probably most trite of all is, it doesn't matter what anyone sees or thinks. And if they think negatively toward you, will you know and, more importantly, will you care? Even if they think positively and admirably of you as you jiggle down the street huffing and puffing, you are running for your own health, not for their approval, entertainment, or recognition. Secondly, while totally understand feeling a bit embarrassed, I also, upon further examination of myself, have to wonder if I'm running for the right motives; if I'm out there for the purpose, even if it's a partial purpose, of showing off to people, then I'm running for the wrong reasons. Thirdly, and I think I mentioned it already, if people DO take notice of you (a less-than-perfect {is there any other sort of perfect?} body) running publicly, why I'd be inspired to get out there and run; I'd feel like I, another imperfect person can be free and empowered to get into shape and to pursue a healthy lifestyle, even if my body never looks like...well, I can't think of anything but a Barbie doll for some reason, which is the farthest thing from my ideal...a model's or an athlete's. I can be free to live healthfully without caring a toss about what anyone but myself thinks of my body. (This is coming from someone who has never run in public; I'm blessed to have a treadmill in the privacy of my basement!). So...if you can see fit to overlook my hypocrisy and just get out there and run, you've got me with you in spirit! (Or, you could always buy a treadmill and stick it in your basement).
  • momiji166
    momiji166 Posts: 32
    Options
    I have over 100lbs to lose also, I have a huge bust and have always been concious of it, I have been training for 10 weeks with a PT and 4 weeks ago I ran for the first time, just short intervals but I felt so empowered, like I could do anything. No one even blinked in my direction. It is part of my daily regime now, I don't like it tbh but I do it cause I can lol.
  • niftylibrarian
    Options
    Oh honey I feel you with that! I felt the same way (well still do to be honest). I am mostly embarassed but how crazy bright red my face gets. I honestly worry sometimes that people will stop to make sure I'm okay. I have just had to push through it and attempt to convince myself it does't matter. I even bought some real workout clothes (I used to avoid them for fear that wearing them would make people look at me even more). Geez I feel like a middle-schooler will all this "people are looking at me" stuff! The reality is, people really aren't looking. And if they are, who are they to us anyway?? Go for it! Couch to 5K is a super awesome program for the beginning runner!
  • willdsouth
    Options
    You'll be fine once you get going, most people feel self-conscious about starting whether they are big or small
  • sstolii123
    sstolii123 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I've lost 23 lbs in the past 5 weeks and I feel terrific. In the past year or so I've lost 45. But I still have a long way to go. I walk 2x a day which equals about 1 hr. I just started weight training last week and I can already tell such a difference. I really, really want to start running. I know it burns the fat faster than walking. I love interval training when I walk and I know running would make a difference. Here's the thing. I still have 100 lbs to lose. Even though I feel smaller I know I look big to others. I can't see myself running down the sidewalk huffing and puffing with parts of me still jiggling around for all to see. Any thoughts or just words of encouragement?

When I run and see a new runner or a heavier person running I smile to myself and remember when I started running (not to long ago)! I remember how hard it was in the beginning and how good it felt when I accomplished my mini goals! Most runners are good people and happy to see you out there too. Don't worry what everyone else thinks and do it for you!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I had a similar problem with starting to do squats in the squat rack at the gym. I felt like I was constantly being stared at by every single guy there (and I actually was - thanks to the surrounding mirrors, I validated that). But after a couple times, and seeing myself accomplish small victories, I began not to care anymore. Now I just put my headphones in and do my own thing. People can stare if they want to, but I'm working on bettering myself.

I didn't have that problem at my last gym. I just switched gyms and now there is a cute guy that works out when I do...Talk about getting distracted during squats which I NEVER have before...Tomorrow I put my headphones on and hope that helps.
    I have a problem with being constantly stared at in my gym. It's kind of annoying but kind of cute. The thing is I train at home and it's my dog that's always staring. :D

That's why I can't work out at home...2 dogs and a cat staring at me and then they want to be as close as possible...Can't deadlift 180# with a dog at your feet.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    You are not alone my friend! I read the best article a few years ago that quoted Joan Benoit Samuelson (gold medal winner, first Women's Olympic Marathon in 1984) as saying "when I first started running, I was so embarrassed I'd walk when cars passed me. I'd rpetend I was looking at the flowers."

Reading that made me feel like nothing could hold me back. If she could do it, why couldn't I? Screw what other people think - it's none of your business anyway. And if they make comments, that says more about them being classless idiots than it does about your appearrance.

I know it's easier said than done but stop doubting and do it!
  • LB2812
    LB2812 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I always think I'm going to look ridiculous huffing & puffing & clearly out of shape trying to run.... I try to remind myself of a couple things though. For starters, when I see other people running & they're heavy or huffing & puffing or whatever, I am always super impressed by them! I always think well good for them! They're kicking butt! And then I think how Jillean Micheals I think it was posted some motivation quote... something like "I may run slower then internet dial up, but at least I run"... and it's true, the point is you're out there! Sometimes, it works, sometimes it doesn't :) But I think the more you do it the more confident you'll feel and the less you will care about others... at least I hope so! :) Good luck!
  • Hophead43
    Hophead43 Posts: 1,634 Member
    Options
    I've lost 23 lbs in the past 5 weeks and I feel terrific. In the past year or so I've lost 45. But I still have a long way to go. I walk 2x a day which equals about 1 hr. I just started weight training last week and I can already tell such a difference. I really, really want to start running. I know it burns the fat faster than walking. I love interval training when I walk and I know running would make a difference. Here's the thing. I still have 100 lbs to lose. Even though I feel smaller I know I look big to others. I can't see myself running down the sidewalk huffing and puffing with parts of me still jiggling around for all to see. Any thoughts or just words of encouragement?

All I can say is go for it!! If your worried about what other think ...maybe try a treadmill or just say to hell with the others Im doing this for me. I have now dropped 21 pounds since Feb and its been due mostly to run/walk workouts. I had a heart attack a few years ago and worry about my heart rate getting to high but I get out there and do what I can. JUST GO FOR IT!! Your already out there walking an hour a day. Start off with the C25K app. Its a great program to get started with. Good luck to you.:smile:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I had a similar problem with starting to do squats in the squat rack at the gym. I felt like I was constantly being stared at by every single guy there (and I actually was - thanks to the surrounding mirrors, I validated that). But after a couple times, and seeing myself accomplish small victories, I began not to care anymore. Now I just put my headphones in and do my own thing. People can stare if they want to, but I'm working on bettering myself.

I didn't have that problem at my last gym. I just switched gyms and now there is a cute guy that works out when I do...Talk about getting distracted during squats which I NEVER have before...Tomorrow I put my headphones on and hope that helps.
    I have a problem with being constantly stared at in my gym. It's kind of annoying but kind of cute. The thing is I train at home and it's my dog that's always staring. :D

That's why I can't work out at home...2 dogs and a cat staring at me and then they want to be as close as possible...Can't deadlift 180# with a dog at your feet.

I can't even foam roll at home... my stupid cats want to sit on me- or worse- on my face!!!
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I do it in the morning, so there isn't as many people to see! People usually only look at me worried because I turn bright red!! Their faces actually make me laugh a little because they are sooo concerned. What I finally told my self was, who cares I'm working out to look better and to maintain good health. I'm not in a beauty pageant, I'm working out and if you look amazing while doing it you either have really good genes (majority don't) or your not working hard enough.

i also get very red when i do any kind of aerobic exercise. i have always been this way, not sure why. i'm sure i am even more red when running because last summer i had several people stop me, concerned that i am suffering from heat stroke. it is nice that strangers are concerned but i started to feel self conscious about it & i do not like being interrupted. it's too hot during the day and i like to run in the park near me where there seem to be a lot of yellow jackets out during the daytime (I got stung by one last year and had a bad reaction so i am a bit scared of them now). I'm not a morning person so i took to running at night. problem solved.

(only you have to be more careful at night because visibility is bad, so reflective clothing is a must. even with a reflective streak on my pants and shoes AND the light from my ipod or cellphone shining i have still had close calls with cars.)
  • vs_shine
    vs_shine Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    get you an awesome sports bra and get out there! That's totally awesome!!

Easiest thing to do. Run 1 min, walk 1 min. until that's boring lol

Get out there today!
  • pandabear_
    pandabear_ Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I was embarrassed to start running also. I'm a self-conscious person and I got anxious that people would stare at me or laugh. So I know where you're coming from.

But what I did was go running when less people were around, for example, in the morning or afternoon when people were at work or at school (I'm a student so my timetable was good for this).

I also thought about what scared me most about running in public and wrote a list of it. I wrote what I thought the worst thing could happen and then wrote a realistic outcome. Like I worried maybe people will laugh, then I thought they may be laughing but I am the one who is making a change in my life and not sitting around laughing, in other words, they can get lost.

And anyway, the people you run past you will never have to see again. For a second they are in your mind, when you run past them they are gone forever.
  • darcymoncada
    darcymoncada Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss! It seems that you are doing great. Run/walking is a great way to get in shape and can be really fun as well. You can start with short periods of running and longer periods of walking. And believe me, people will not judge you but they will support your effort! I say go for it! You can do it! Runners really do support other runners.
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I recommend beginning with a run-walk program, and if you are really concerned about what people see, run early in the morning or as it's getting dark out. Run-walk programs help you build the endurance needed for running with the aim of preventing injury, and as you increase your running time you decrease your walk time. Pretty damn awesome, if you ask me.

I have a Women's Pace run-walk manual that will get you to 10km in 13 weeks if you are interested. I've used it several times (in fact, I'm using it again currently) and it's a very comfortable transition into becoming "a runner" (however you define it). Pretty cool. :)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Yes- if you want to run- run! When I see some "bigger" people running or cycling- my first thought is always - good for them! Who cares what anyone thinks. It is your body , your life and you get decide what to do with both! Run!

Yep! I'm always mentally cheering on people that I can tell are pushing themselves.
  • kyanmel873
    kyanmel873 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I started the C25K a few months ago. I still have over 60 lbs I would like to loose. I work at a Universtiy and staff can use the workout facilities. We have an indoor track that overlooks basketball courts students use. At first I was a bit self conscious because of having to run/walk in front of college students (I have actually only been out of college 5 years but still was nervous). There are several avid runners who go and sometimes I notice some track team students practicing. I finally told myself that I could care less if they even thought of me (which I doubt any even notice because when I run I do not pay attention to anyone else). I was there for me. I started struggling with only jogging a minute, huffing and puffing my way through but have since improved. I know how hard it is to not worry if others are thinking about what you look like but once you start it is easy to forget. Good luck on your new pursuit.

How do you make yourself not care?
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options

[/quote]

It's a shift in attitude. For me it came when I realised what a great job I was doing in changing my life and taking control. I gave myself permission to be proud of what I was doing. When I see larger people working out I think how great it is for them to be up and moving and I choose to believe others are thinking the same of me. the people that may laugh behind my back are of no significance to me.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    kyanmel873 wrote: »

There are a few things for me, and in some ways a realisation came when I was doing some work on 10K.

Anyone who sees you doesn't know where you are in your training , and in general they'll see you for a couple of minutes at most Other runners will recognise that you're out there, and the opinion of non runners doesn't matter.

If you see me breathless and red faced you don't know whether I'm in week one of C25K, part way through a sprint intervals session that'll cover 10K, or towards the end of a 15 mile long run. As a runner, if I pass you I don't know how your session compares to mine. You might be warming up, taking an easy interval, or going as hard as you can go. I'll have used you as a marker, but recognise that you're running your run, and I'm running mine.

I was racing a half marathon yesterday, and walking the last uphill section. Couldn't feel my quads at this point, and a woman who I'd used as a marker a few times ran past me, just. She made the observation that my walking pace was nearly as fast as her running pace. Her getting in front of me was the incentive to pick up my pace a little, but we'd both run our own races.