I have a gut, but can easily see ribs on my chest...

Options
Good morning all (or afternoon) I'm getting very close to goal weight and now many people are telling me I don't have any to lose. They say it looks like I hit goal awhile ago. The problem is I know I have more to lose because of my horrible gut that sticks out (I'm sucking it in my pic lol), but I have very prominent collar bones and I can see the ribs in my upper chest. I REALLY don't want to look boney by no means, but I still have at least a couple of inches to lose around my waist. Does anyone else have this issue? I know I can't spot reduce, but I'm wondering what I can do to help "balance out". My normal work out is strength training. Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce. Just keep at it and you'll see results.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Good morning all (or afternoon) I'm getting very close to goal weight and now many people are telling me I don't have any to lose. They say it looks like I hit goal awhile ago. The problem is I know I have more to lose because of my horrible gut that sticks out (I'm sucking it in my pic lol), but I have very prominent collar bones and I can see the ribs in my upper chest. I REALLY don't want to look boney by no means, but I still have at least a couple of inches to lose around my waist. Does anyone else have this issue? I know I can't spot reduce, but I'm wondering what I can do to help "balance out". My normal work out is strength training. Thanks in advance!!
    Based on your photos, I'm estimating that you're still over 20% body fat overall. Usually when you get down to that percentage, a flatter stomach is more prevalent. So you still have some room. Will that affect your collarbones and ribs definition? Possibly.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Yes, I noticed today that I'm beginning to look like E.T. :sad:
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    i have a similar situation. you and i just lose fat around our collar bones and ribs first, your stomach will catch up eventually though as now there is less fat around those areas for you body to burn. the most you can do is keep to your deficit
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I was concerned about this a while back and my personal trainer said cardio would help reduce the waistline (of course, she wasn't implying it would spot reduce). I'm in training right now for the police dept physical tests and I will say that I've noticed a significant difference in my waist line, love handles etc since I started doing almost daily runs. It won't be fast and it may not work for everyone, but for me that's what worked. Before I got real heavy into my training my left side was smaller than my right but now they are balancing out nicely :)
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you're just unlucky like me and have a bigger than normal ribcage. You could see my ribs at my starting weight. I'm pretty self conscious about it because, unless I am tightening my abs, my torso looks kind of odd. But like the others said, you can't spot reduce.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Yes! I can see my ribs and rib cage in my upper mid section, under my boobs but lower mid section is a pooch. I have had 2 c sections so I know my body is not the same as it once was However I also have seen women that have went thru c - sections and have great abs!

Everyones different. But I will keep trying. :-)
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you're just unlucky like me and have a bigger than normal ribcage. You could see my ribs at my starting weight. I'm pretty self conscious about it because, unless I am tightening my abs, my torso looks kind of odd. But like the others said, you can't spot reduce.

WHAT?!? You're perfect! What's this rubbish you're spewing out?
  • truelypinkthing
    truelypinkthing Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Theres quite alot of talk about cutting out wheat/grains to help reduce your belly. Not cutting out carbs obviously that is bad, but not getting them from bread, pasta and other grain based foods. I havent tried it, but have 2 friends who have and it certainly slimmed their bellies down. just a thought.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    YOu can't really "spot reduce" but if you continue eating right and working out and you'll eventually get there. Not sure if you're lifting wieghts but it will help a lot if you are. Also, your profile says you had two kids which is probably the main reason for what you're having trouble with but you can do it might just take a little longer. Great pics by the way. The black dress one especially!
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options

You think that because I'm tightening my abs in every picture I have up. haha. You have no clue what this looks like relaxed. :/
  • JagerLewis
    JagerLewis Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much! I will keep chugging along, maybe I will consider giving up bread...though I like sandwiches. ;) I will try to add more cardio to the mix as well (I'm trying to fall in love with running again).
  • mayaysf
    mayaysf Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    oh im in the same boat. I've lost some weight, I have no goal weight, so that's not a problem for me. I have tighten all over my body and my cellulite is almost gone, I can see my ribs and what seems the beginning of baby upper abs.. thanks to 1 round of insanity and 2 months of weight lifting. but my belly is still there. it annoys, it depresses me, it frustrates me seeing my body change for the better and my belly being the SLOWEST to change. it's changing, but SLOWLY. I've really lowered my carbs, even healthy ones, I also lowered my dairy... and I can see a bit of a difference. I've continued with cardio + strength training, and I hope it will continue to change.
  • notamoment
    notamoment Posts: 190 Member
    Options

You think that because I'm tightening my abs in every picture I have up. haha. You have no clue what this looks like relaxed. :/

^^^^^^ i have this same problem :/ im actually really happy to know im not the only one.
  • GameGirl777
    GameGirl777 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Great post, OP. I have the exact same problem! Almost to my goal weight; seeing ribs but not abs because of this pooch. I think my main problem is beer :drinker:

Let's keep at it! Work hard; eat clean.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    I have a wide bone structure and have had a similar problem. Keep lifting and dieting and things should start to proportion out.
  • stevee290
    stevee290 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    My legs are huge and rock hard, my arms are skinny and I still have a belly. I'm down 60 pounds and very close to my goal weight I just hope if I keep exercising and eating right everything will balance out in the next year.
  • JagerLewis
    JagerLewis Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Great post, OP. I have the exact same problem! Almost to my goal weight; seeing ribs but not abs because of this pooch. I think my main problem is beer :drinker:

Let's keep at it! Work hard; eat clean.
    Lol! I often sing the song "She's rocking the beer gut" to myself. Lol
  • jpapp13
    jpapp13 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much! I will keep chugging along, maybe I will consider giving up bread...though I like sandwiches. ;) I will try to add more cardio to the mix as well (I'm trying to fall in love with running again).

-- I suggest LESS cardio and more weight based training, heavy lifts, etc .. it's all about working your core .. visible ab definition takes time, also eating at a slight deficit MAY help .. I currently eat at maintenance, have calmed down my cardio and lift heavy 2x a week, in 8 weeks I'm definitely noticing a difference in my mid-section..

Good Luck!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1161603-so-you-want-a-nice-stomach

My stomach is one of the last to go. I've also had two kids (while I was obese). During competition prep I didn't eat clean. I hit my macros and my micros then had treats. I did cut out some stuff my last two weeks to reduce internal bloating and avoid possible water retention, but that's not necessary to get lean enough to have abs or a nice stomach.