Yes, 1200 calorie diets work!

Options
I know I will be trolled and flamed for posting this message but I am sick and tired of everyones high horse mentality when it comes to calorie counts. 1200 calories, if done correctly, is more than sufficient.

I began my journey January 1, 2014. I just completed 5 months and have lost over 55 pounds. I went from 280 to 225 and I feel great. Average calorie count is 1050 with an initial goal of 1200. After a few months, I moved my goal to 1400 and now I am at 1600. Yes, if you plan on just eating a cheeseburger at 1000 calories for the day, your screwed and will harm yourself. But let me give you an idea of my meals.

Breakfast is high protein egg sandwich OR oatmeal and high fiber toast. Either one is about 300 calories. Lunch is a special K protein bar at 170 calories. Dinner is either chicken breast with rice (370 calories), Large Baked potato with veggies (about 500 calories) or an extra large salad (350 calories). You see, at the end of the day, I have ample protein and fiber, good source of fuel (Carbs) and come in under 1000 calories. This leaves me some wiggle room if I want a small (and smart) dessert, some fruit with my lunch, or anything else. You see, I picked HEALTHY, LOW CALORIE foods to fill me up.

I will repeat. 1200 calorie diets, eating garbage, will allow you to lose weight but you will not feel good. But 1200 calorie diets that are low calorie, high nutrient food is a great way to lose the weight and keep it off.

Someone here will complain about my use of a protein bar. Many argue they are candy bars on steroids. They are meal replacements, quite tasty and have good nutrients (fiber and protein being the main ones). Regardless, you can not argue with the results. This diet has allowed me to lose over 55 pounds in 21 weeks. Right now, I average a weight loss of 1.2 pounds a week!

So before you all chastise someone for asking about a 1200 calorie diet, troll someone who supports the 1200 calorie diet, or even worse, name call (eating disorder, stupid, unhealthy) those who use the diet, take a look in the mirror. Why do you hate the low calorie diet so much? I think if you are honest with yourself, you will realize that is comes down to will power. Doing 1200 calories is the hardest diet out there. You go to bed hungry for the first few weeks before your body adjusts. Many don't make it past the first few days. So although I applaud those of you who are eating better and losing 0.2 or 0.4 pounds a week because you think everyone needs to eat 2000 calories and just exercises the deficit off, I wish you would applaud those of us who have the will power to change and who are losing 1.5 to 2 pounds a week because we refuse to listen to those who say it can't be done....

Let the trolling and flaming begin....

Replies

• lizc0616
    lizc0616 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: congrats on the weight loss, and if it works for you it works!
  • cmr3399
    cmr3399 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    No ....You are dead on in my opinion...I'm trying hard at the 1200 calorie level too...no ranting at you from me...TY for this post...just added to my motivation :flowerforyou:
  • MeganAnne89
    MeganAnne89 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    The only thing that I'm not a fan of is how tiny your lunch is.

But I mean, if you're not starving before every meal and if you're getting the nutrients you need, then it's all fine by me. I often hit around 1200-1400 cals a day (and sometimes I exercise on top of that), but that's just the amount that I eat to keep me full and not hungry. When I eat up to what my maintenance cals are, I feel stuffed and gross.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Of course it works. Eating at a deficit = weight loss. Personally, I'd rather eat more and still lose. Food is good, so I'm going to eat it. I could eat 1200 calories in one meal - rabbit food. I refuse to be hungry all day so I can lose some weight. A Special K protein bar for lunch? Ugh, at least eat a decent quality protein bar if you refuse to eat a real meal.

Congrats on the weight loss, though.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    So in...

Okay OP..you are a 29 year old man eating less than 1200 calories of course you are losing weight but you are also losing fat and muscle...congrats to you.

In the long term you will notice the following as well...

Low energy
    Lethargy
    brittle nails and hair
    Hunger cues will diminish
    Your metabolism is going to slow eventually too

You will do damage to your heart and muscles
    You will not be able to exercise much

And then...you will break...you will eat a wad of food

Long term you become nutrient deficient, your metabolism will adapt and make it hard to lose weight, your bones will become brittle due to lack of muscle...

But hey you lost weight...good on you.

As for the will power...naw...my goal is to be healthy and happy not weak, lethargic, unhealthy and skinny with no muscle mass...

Self control means eating as much as I can while I still lose weight not as little as possible as a form of self punishment for gaining weight.

There is no way as a man at 1200 calories you are getting in adequate nutrition...1200 is the bare min for a woman ...

But hey do what works for you...flay yourself as much as you want, don't learn to eat all food in moderation and when you come off this 1200 calorie a day diet and go back to "normal" and gain your weight back because you didn't learn moderation in all foods only self deprevation you will understand why there are those of us who say no to 1200...

tumblr_lp4nq10fzQ1qla3no1_500.gif
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss! I think people here discourage 1200 calorie diets because it is difficult for many to eat so few calories (I know I could not do it), and because many people,with a lot of weight to lose can eat a lot more and still lose weight. It's great that it worked for you!
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss.

Cutting at such drastic deficits promote muscle loss. End result? Skinny fat. Why not eat 2000 (or more?), lose a little slower, but look better in the end?
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    Of course it works. Eating at a deficit = weight loss. Personally, I'd rather eat more and still lose. Food is good, so I'm going to eat it. I could eat 1200 calories in one meal - rabbit food. I refuse to be hungry all day so I can lose some weight.

Congrats on the weight loss, though.
    this.

it just isnt sustainable for most people, and it can cause some damage if you have a large BMR
    but keep in mind to that you started out very heavy, that can make a huge difference. if someone who was under 200 lbs did this it would be alot different.

and protein bars are awesome IMO, filling, high protein, decent carb and fat count for the most part

congrats man, make sure you keep it off
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    congrats..

no way I could do it, but it if works for you.. have at it.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    So in...

Okay OP..you are a 29 year old man eating less than 1200 calories of course you are losing weight but you are also losing fat and muscle...congrats to you.

Low energy
    Lethargy
    brittle nails and hair

Long term you become nutrient deficient, your metabolism will adapt and make it hard to lose weight, your bones will become brittle due to lack of muscle...

As for the will power...naw...my goal is to be healthy and happy not weak, lethargic, unhealthy and skinny with no muscle mass...

Self control means eating as much as I can while I still lose weight not as little as possible as a form of self punishment for gaining weight.

There is no way as a man at 1200 calories you are getting in adequate nutrition...1200 is the bare min for a woman ...

But hey do what works for you...flay yourself as much as you want, don't learn to eat all food in moderation and when you come off this 1200 calorie a day diet and go back to "normal" and gain your weight back because you didn't learn moderation in all foods only self deprevation you will understand why there are those of us who say no to 1200...

tumblr_lp4nq10fzQ1q1a3no1_500.gif

This....
    Congrats on your weight loss.

Cutting at such drastic deficits promote muscle loss. End result? Skinny fat. Why not eat 2000 (or more?), lose a little slower, but look better in the end?

...and this. All day.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I'm also trying to stick to 1200 calorie. When I get near to goal I may increase it to 1400, and hopefully will be weight lifting by then.

What works for you, works for you. What works for others, works for others.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    So in...

Low energy
    Lethargy
    brittle nails and hair

tumblr_lp4nq10fzQ1ql1ano1_500.gif

+1...

Plus if/when that stops working, how will you then create a deficit...you shouldn't go any lower than that...
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I went from 280 to 225 in about 7 months. I didn't count anything, just cut my portions down and started doing cardio. Then I hit a huge stall that lasted for months. I put a little weight on over the holidays that year, up to 235 or so. Started counting, etc, after joining here. Lost the 10 and got back to 225 and stayed around that weight for a very long time. I lost a lot of muscle mass as well. It's taken me 10 months get from 225 down to 201-202, losing very slowly on purpose. I've done this mainly by watching my carbs. I've been lifting again and cut my cardio back to a couple times a week instead of 5.

Congrats on your loss. If I had to do it over again I'd have been lifting weights the whole time, eating more, and losing more slowly. The end result would still probably be losing almost 80lbs in 2 1/2 years but the loss would have been more steady without the stalls and frustration of losing the same 4-5lbs over and over again.

So yeah, starving yourself does work, but it's not the best way to go about it.
  • AlwaysBigSteve
    AlwaysBigSteve Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Happy you're happy bro, best of luck keeping it off when you go back to eating.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    So in...

Low energy
    Lethargy
    brittle nails and hair

tumblr_lp4nq10fzQ1ql1a3no1_500.gif

tumblr_m8hwwidcSs1r3f9ymo2_250.gif
  • AlwaysBigSteve
    AlwaysBigSteve Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Side note, I did 1200 and under for several months. I quit when my hair started falling out. True story.

I don't want to be a naysayer though, so good luck.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I would be miserable eating 1200 calories. Hungry all the time, no energy, cranky, and lose muscle. 2k is my limit I adjust from there by exercise if I need to go into a further deficit.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    So in...

Low energy
    Lethargy
    brittle nails and hair

tumblr_lp4n10fzQ1ql1a3no1_500.gif

QFT
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Happy you're happy bro, best of luck keeping it off when you go back to eating.

:laugh:
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    How long have you been at maintainance?
    What is you calorie goal at maintainance?
This discussion has been closed.