Back Squat - Form Question

Options
13»

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    You are definitely below parallel. Your body lean is more forward, which is more like lowbar squat. The body lean forward would make it more difficult to get much deeper. The bar placement looks like it is midway between highbar and lowbar. Is that a pad around the bar? That might be messing things up slightly.

So I should stop leaning forward so far?

Yes, that's a pad. The bar kills me without it. No matter how much I tighten up those muscles, it's still against my vertebrae.

For highbar squat, try shrugging your shoulders up and back so that the bar rests purely on your traps. Shugging your shoulders up and back makes your traps pop out so they take the weight of the bar rather than your spine. It should also let you stay a bit more upright, which will allow greater depth. If you want to try lowbar (which would allow you to keep your forward lean), push your shoulders all the way back and try sliding the bar (while on the rack) up and down your back until it grabs a natural notch in your back. Neither way should have the bar resting on your spine, which would let you get rid of the pad.

I can't see pictures- but if there is vertebra issue- this shoulder tip is good.... I actually found I had to scoot my hands in closer to my shoulders to keep everything tight and in place- really helped.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Loving these tips. I'll look into some ugly lifting shoes and I'll work on getting rid of the pad and not tipping forward so much. Thanks guys!
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the tips, everyone! I'm relieved to know that I'm not as far off as I thought.
    your form is fine...keep squatting...where did you get your squat rack from?? What brand is it??

I bought it from sports equipment store that usually sells used equipment. This was new, though. I got it for about $125. You can also find it on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Barbell-Olympic-Bench-Squat-Rack/dp/B005Y1PA7S

The reviews aren't so great, but it works for me and I haven't had any issues. My husband has used it as well and hasn't complained. It's good for the money. I'd eventually like to buy or build a power rack, but then I'd have to put it in the garage. Working out in the garage doesn't sound too fun to me.

Thanks...same here...I workout in my basement and my ceilings are too low for a power rack...but they do have one that's 72" in height

Lyndsey your form looks good. I lift barefoot also (with shorts ;). It's really helped strengthening my feet and arch support.

I have the 72" power rack. Great for low ceilings. My basement is only 7' high.

It's slightly wider than the power racks I've used at most gyms, which is real nice. Also, it has so many levels for safety bar. Definitely one of my best purchases.

41PIRgv6hQL.jpg

http://amzn.to/1kGU2zr

It works and I'm 6'3. The only thing I can't do in it is standing overhead press. I have to do seated.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    Options
    Thanks so much for the tips, everyone! I'm relieved to know that I'm not as far off as I thought.
    your form is fine...keep squatting...where did you get your squat rack from?? What brand is it??

I bought it from sports equipment store that usually sells used equipment. This was new, though. I got it for about $125. You can also find it on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Barbell-Olympic-Bench-Squat-Rack/dp/B005Y1PA7S

The reviews aren't so great, but it works for me and I haven't had any issues. My husband has used it as well and hasn't complained. It's good for the money. I'd eventually like to buy or build a power rack, but then I'd have to put it in the garage. Working out in the garage doesn't sound too fun to me.

Thanks...same here...I workout in my basement and my ceilings are too low for a power rack...but they do have one that's 72" in height

Lyndsey your form looks good. I lift barefoot also (with shorts ;). It's really helped strengthening my feet and arch support.

It's slightly wider than the power racks I've used at most gyms, which is real nice. Also, it has so many levels for safety bar. Definitely one of my best purchases.

41PIRgv6hQL.jpg

It works and I'm 6'3. The only thing I can't do in it is standing overhead press. I have to do seated.

Oo, thanks for that link. Bookmarking it! I've had my eye on this one, but the price is a little out of my league right now: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008UQLTIS/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=IGABMN9XURYN&coliid=I3V5Y9RXU9CL0S
  • mryak750
    mryak750 Posts: 198 Member
    Options

41PIRgv6hQL.jpg

Yes that's the one...I was wondering if it would work for my height as well...I'm 6'2..I'll be purchasing it by the end of the year
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    You are going low enough. Don't squat on carpet. That IS carpet, right?
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    You are definitely below parallel. Your body lean is more forward, which is more like lowbar squat. The body lean forward would make it more difficult to get much deeper. The bar placement looks like it is midway between highbar and lowbar. Is that a pad around the bar? That might be messing things up slightly.

So I should stop leaning forward so far?

Yes, that's a pad. The bar kills me without it. No matter how much I tighten up those muscles, it's still against my vertebrae.

Move the bar down.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    Options
    You are going low enough. Don't squat on carpet. That IS carpet, right?

No, it's uncooked rice. Haha. Yes, it's carpet. Why shouldn't I squat on carpet, exactly?
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    OP in the form pictures the camera is too low to get an accurate gauge on depth. The main thing is while you changed your bar height you didn't change your form. You're doing a low bar squat in a high position in the second picture. You should be more upright in a high bar squat.

Also for me what effects squat depth most of all, or at least the ability to go low without tipping forward, is ankle mobility. Make sure your ankle/achilles is moving freely and doesn't feel tight when warming up.

One other thing I've noticed when I've seen girls squatting in the gym is their stance is too wide. A wide stance makes it harder to go lower.

Disagree with the bold part. I go deeper with a powerlifting (wide) stance than I do an olympic (shoulder width) stance.

OP, with the high bar, look directly forward or slightly up. That will help keep you from pitching too far forward.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    first things first

low bar or high bar?

Since you're my go-to gal, explain low bar and high bar please. Thank you.

I thought I had a photobucket picture of this to just post up- but I can't search my phone quickly with such low reception
    if you google low bar vs high bar squats- click images- there is a fantastic siloutte drawing that shows a guy with the bar in 3 placements- doing a squat- front- high and low (in that order left to right)

this might bring it up for you.
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&docid=0cKWw_kxa57UrM&tbnid=LW_o05nj7dawiM:&ved=0CAMQjhw&url=http://70sbig.com/blog/2012/01/low-bar-vs-high-bar-squatting/&ei=8MiQU92NJcKSqgbqr4G4Bw&bvm=bv.68445247,d.cWc&psig=AFQjCNEHZmeaE4RTbrQ03-sfEU_8cQGOnA&ust=1402083941833640

ultimately low bar sits on yoru rear delts- very low... high bar sits on your traps - but not on your spine and it greatly impacts the way you actually squat.

Ahh good. I find it so difficult to get the right position on delts and traps. Oh and they DON'T sit on the scapulae, right?
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Okay guys. I'm just not sure I can get much lower than parallel regardless of the weight on my back. I tried different stances, deloaded, and I'm still getting what looks like parallel or maybe just below.

I was squatting 120, so I deloaded to 115 to see if I could get deeper. This was the result (yes, I lift barefoot in my underwear):

qy7bsp.jpg

I decided to deload a bunch, just to see. This is me squatting with only 80 lbs, which felt like nothing on my shoulders:

5v4qcm.jpg

Is it just me, or do those look pretty much the same?

So, what's the issue? Feel free to critique my form, stance, etc. I want to improve, so I'm not going to get defensive. If all of that looks good, could it be weak hip flexors? Or something else I can work on?

I love that it's in your house. Is that rack really tall?