Yes, 1200 calorie diets work!

Options

Replies

• Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss!
    My problem is the WAY people dismiss ALL 1200 Calorie Diets. While the haters have some very valid points about not being able to gain muscle while restricting your intake that much and they are not wrong. Everyone is in here for support, so while facts may be appreciated, Sarcastic Meme's are not! Blankets statements like 'don't net less than 1200 Calories ever or you'll enter starvation mode' are not helpful and don't apply to everyone. They say instead eat or net at your BMR. and you can eat much more calories. Well my BMR is between 1100-1400 depending on which calculator you use. So for me to net 1200 is following 'their' rules and breaking them at the same time. People lifting weight, Exercising, etc will have a higher calorie need than those who may just have a lot of fat to lose and are focusing purely on diet for the time being. OP you mentioned that you have been increasing your calorie limits as you go through this process, so I suspect you are listening to your body. Which of course is the most important thing and doing what works for you and helps you reach your own goals. Weight loss is simple math everyone here can agree on that. Fitness and health are much more complicated. We are all built different coming from different starting points and different goals so I take in everything I read and use what may apply to or work for me. Adapt. Improve. Always put yourself first. (and forget the haters). CHEERS! and I wish you continued good luck.

BINGO!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Eating well below your basal metabolic rate is not a good long term solution.
  • ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    1200 will work for some, it's not rocket science.

The OP however, all I can say is make sure you pick up your hair and nails off the floor once they start falling out.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss!
    My problem is the WAY people dismiss ALL 1200 Calorie Diets. While the haters have some very valid points about not being able to gain muscle while restricting your intake that much and they are not wrong. Everyone is in here for support, so while facts may be appreciated, Sarcastic Meme's are not! Blankets statements like 'don't net less than 1200 Calories ever or you'll enter starvation mode' are not helpful and don't apply to everyone. They say instead eat or net at your BMR. and you can eat much more calories. Well my BMR is between 1100-1400 depending on which calculator you use. So for me to net 1200 is following 'their' rules and breaking them at the same time. People lifting weight, Exercising, etc will have a higher calorie need than those who may just have a lot of fat to lose and are focusing purely on diet for the time being. OP you mentioned that you have been increasing your calorie limits as you go through this process, so I suspect you are listening to your body. Which of course is the most important thing and doing what works for you and helps you reach your own goals. Weight loss is simple math everyone here can agree on that. Fitness and health are much more complicated. We are all built different coming from different starting points and different goals so I take in everything I read and use what may apply to or work for me. Adapt. Improve. Always put yourself first. (and forget the haters). CHEERS! and I wish you continued good luck.

I don't see how "1200 calories is sufficient" is any better than saying "you shouldn't do 1200 calories".

I agree that for some, 1200 calories is appropriate - but - there are far more that it probably isn't the ideal goal for.

ETA - for a male, there would be far fewer people who 1200 calories would actually be an ideal goal for. They would definitely be the exception.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Of course it works. Eating 1000 calories will work even better. Eating nothing will work best of all!!

That doesn't mean you should do it though.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Very few people are likely to burn fewer than 1200 calories a day. Of course they work. You're also more likely to fall off the wagon if you're severely restricting your calories.

So, you know, do what works for you I guess.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    I'm so excited to read your post because I am in a similar situation. I started at 280 at the beginning of this week, 6/01/14 is my start date (highest weight was 305 in January 1, 2013) and I've decided to do a 1200 calorie diet! So far, I've lost 5 lbs this week so I'm thrilled!

Please don't, that initially weight loss will be largely water with some fat and muscle. You didn't lose 5lbs of fat.

Read this instead

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

And then when you hit your goal weight you'll be happier with how you look and able to eat a damn sight more during and after the weight loss.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    So in...

Okay OP..you are a 29 year old man eating less than 1200 calories of course you are losing weight but you are also losing fat and muscle...congrats to you.

In the long term you will notice the following as well...

Low energy
    Lethargy
    brittle nails and hair
    Hunger cues will diminish
    Your metabolism is going to slow eventually too

You will do damage to your heart and muscles
    You will not be able to exercise much

And then...you will break...you will eat a wad of food

Long term you become nutrient deficient, your metabolism will adapt and make it hard to lose weight, your bones will become brittle due to lack of muscle...

But hey you lost weight...good on you.

As for the will power...naw...my goal is to be healthy and happy not weak, lethargic, unhealthy and skinny with no muscle mass...

Self control means eating as much as I can while I still lose weight not as little as possible as a form of self punishment for gaining weight.

There is no way as a man at 1200 calories you are getting in adequate nutrition...1200 is the bare min for a woman ...

But hey do what works for you...flay yourself as much as you want, don't learn to eat all food in moderation and when you come off this 1200 calorie a day diet and go back to "normal" and gain your weight back because you didn't learn moderation in all foods only self deprevation you will understand why there are those of us who say no to 1200...

tumblr_lp4nq10fzQ1ql1a3no1_500.gif

Hey Sexy,
    Your adivce is very valuable, however is it really necessary to be so Sarcastic and Pessimistic to the OP? It may be more effective to offer your advice based on your experiences in a more positive manner.

Yes. Yes it is.
  • AlwaysBigSteve
    AlwaysBigSteve Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    So in...

Okay OP..you are a 29 year old man eating less than 1200 calories of course you are losing weight but you are also losing fat and muscle...congrats to you.

In the long term you will notice the following as well...

Low energy
    Lethargy
    brittle nails and hair
    Hunger cues will diminish
    Your metabolism is going to slow eventually too

You will do damage to your heart and muscles
    You will not be able to exercise much

And then...you will break...you will eat a wad of food

Long term you become nutrient deficient, your metabolism will adapt and make it hard to lose weight, your bones will become brittle due to lack of muscle...

But hey you lost weight...good on you.

As for the will power...naw...my goal is to be healthy and happy not weak, lethargic, unhealthy and skinny with no muscle mass...

Self control means eating as much as I can while I still lose weight not as little as possible as a form of self punishment for gaining weight.

There is no way as a man at 1200 calories you are getting in adequate nutrition...1200 is the bare min for a woman ...

But hey do what works for you...flay yourself as much as you want, don't learn to eat all food in moderation and when you come off this 1200 calorie a day diet and go back to "normal" and gain your weight back because you didn't learn moderation in all foods only self deprevation you will understand why there are those of us who say no to 1200...

tumblr_lp4nq10fzQ1ql1a3no1_500.gif

I can only assume you are a registered dietitian or nutritionalist. haha.

Hmmmm, I work out every other day for about 90 minutes, which includes about 15 miles on a bike, 30 minutes of hardcore racquetball and weight lifting. But yes, I am very lethargic. (Please note sarcasm). Metabolism is better now then when I was fatter so I am good there too. But also, if you read the post, I said I STARTED at 1200 to boost the weightless quickly but after a while, I went to 1400 and then to 1600. How could I be losing as much weight at 1600 then I was at just over 1000? Because I kept my metabolism burning but eating high quantity of low calorie foods.

Thanks for your support though! Its always great that when someone says something the other person can understand, they are automatically idiots!

I would love it if you could find a single registered dietitian or nutritionalist (a legit one mind you, like that works at a hospital) that agrees that 1200 c for an active male is a good idea. Second, he never called you an idiot. Thirdly, my wife is on a 1200 calorie diet so I know it works. She is 4'8" though, so there's that.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I'm so excited to read your post because I am in a similar situation. I started at 280 at the beginning of this week, 6/01/14 is my start date (highest weight was 305 in January 1, 2013) and I've decided to do a 1200 calorie diet! So far, I've lost 5 lbs this week so I'm thrilled!

Did you not get dissuaded by all of the advice against this sort of diet?

Congratulations on 5 lbs in the first week but have a look through this thread and others about 1200 cal diets and do a bit of research into why a max 2 lb per week loss tends to be recommended by many sites, including medical ones.

This will help you make a more informed choice rather than just taking the OP's word for it
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    Wow, what a response. Some positive (Thank you!) mostly negative. Let me clear some air.

I usually work out. At least a LOT of walking. Usually Biking and racquetball. Do I eat back the calories? Sometimes but usually not. Do I feel hungry everyday? NOT AT ALL. The first week, going from 5000+ calories to 1200 was hard but then I adjusted and was fine.

I was on 1200 calories for 2 months, 1400 for the next two months and now on 1600. By end of summer, I will be at 1800.

I am not angry, cranky, moody, tired, etc. I get up at 5am and usually not in bed until 11pm everyday and I feel alert and great. I usually only drink water, occasionally passion tea but stay away from caffeine.

Seems like many people read the headline and then commented and actually never read the post. They would have seen that I STARTED at 1200 and increased, That I feel the best I ever have, etc.

The main take away. DO WHAT WORKS FOR YOU! If you can not do 1200 calories, don't. But those of you who really want to lose weight and then gradually increase, do it. Don't listen to the naysayers. But just be focused on what is happening around you. (If you do become sick, tired, etc.)

Although I am getting a lot of back lash, I wish EVERYONE the best on their weightless, whether I agree with your methods or not. I just wish those of you who "know everything" could support everyone as well.

Off to work, I will defend my position later!

If 1200 calories is sufficient (your words) why are you upping your calories?

Boom.
  • jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Anytime I see the haters going on about low calorie diets, I just remember all of the times the SAME PEOPLE flame others because " they can just eat a deficit to lose weight"

mmhmm...

2yx0llv.gif
  • ChelseyDAdams
    Options
    WHOA that's great that you lost weight, but 1200 calories for a GUY is WAY too low. What's happening is that your body is NOT sustained at 1200 calories, it is consuming your fat AND muscle to help it to function at capacity. As that diminishes (including MUSCLE) it will start taking from other areas of your body that contain nutrients and will cause more problems. As it will have less fat and muscle to diminish over time, you will start really feeling the need for more food.

Others have said it far better than me, so I'll leave it to them. Hopefully you listened - they know of what they speak!!

I felt that, with my activity level, 1200 was too low for me. I moved it up to 1500 and I'm a female - as a man you simply need more calories and nutrients.

Seriously, congratulations on the weight loss - just make sure your aim is HEALTH! Lose the weight to be HEALTHY and you won't get healthy if you don't supply your body with the things it needs to sustain itself.

Best of luck!!!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Anytime I see the haters going on about low calorie diets, I just remember all of the times the SAME PEOPLE flame others because " they can just eat a deficit to lose weight"

mmhmm...

2yx0llv.gif

I know, that stupid science and their facts....

:insertsarcasm:
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you bro.

Of course, I was pretty happy with eating 1700 calories and losing fat, because I like eating food and I like a sustainable long term plan.. I also enjoy eating 2000 calories a day and maintaining because I get to eat even more food and have a flexible long term "diet".

I'm not the one who's eating 1200 calories a day so if it floats your boat then all the more power to you, it's not my body or my life. Of course it works in the short term, but see how it works in 2 or 3 years when you can't sustain low numbers anymore
  • wu3ju3j
    wu3ju3j Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    But, I often exceed it.
    I am doing a diet of 1200 or less. Average about 1000 over last 53 days. I have lost 18 pounds and feel great. Feel free to browse my diary. I go for my proteins first, then enjoy good healthy vegetables and fruits. There have been days that I have had less than 800 calories, but felt full. Why eat extra food just to make a number?

I am monitored weekly by our nurse at my place of work and my PCP is impressed. I have never felt so much full of energy in my life before. I have cerebral palsy which causes spastic and tight muscles along with a scissor gait when I walk and limited use of left arm. I feel so much more agile and less off balance having lost weight.

I started on 4/15/15 with MFP at 182 lb. (5'10") and am now 164 lb. In the proceeding year I was as high as 195 lb. and nearly a 40 inch waist. Today I and fitting comfortably in 32's. I want to be down at the lower end of the BMI scale near 130 lb. and a 28-30 waist or wherever my body feels best. This weight might seem lower, but having CP, I do not have the typical muscle mass. In my teens I was around 112 lb. and that was considered normal for my CP.

Responses welcomed!

Your calorie goal is 800... :noway:
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    OP no one says that eating 1200 calories won't result in weight loss. What they say is that eating 1200 calories, for most people, is a huge deficit that will result in muscle loss along with fat loss.

So I have to ask, what happened to your lean mass during the period of your diet or were you even tracking that? If you were not then may I suggest that you have likely lost a considerable amount of muscle, something that most people would want to avoid.
  • Muffie22
    Muffie22 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    eh, when I tried eating 1200 calories a day because i was misinformed and assumed that was how little i needed to eat (and yes it was healthy stuff, loads of fruit and veg not one hamburger per day) I started feeling super dizzy all the time, like my head was swimming. Every time I'd go to stand up I'd have to sit right back down again so i didn't pass out and my hands would constantly shake and i got mad mad sugar cravings (but sugar never made the symptoms go away fully).... I was convinced I was dying or something... but a couple of weeks after i started eating more like 1400+ a day I was completely back to normal.

Also lol, love how everyone who's a fan 1200 calorie diets conveniently ignore the complete inability to get enough nutrients (yes even if you only eat healthy stuff...) and just combat it with 'WHATEVER JUST COS YOU DON'T HAVE THE SELF CONTROL TO EAT SO LITTLE'

Nah, I like food :)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    just to reemphasize....

He was only on 1200 to get started, so that doesn't really prove that 1200 diets work sense one of the huge points of them is that they are not sustainable.

The OP still has weight to lose and still hasn't had to maintain which can often be harder than losing.

None of these show that 1200 calorie diets work.

Misleading thread title is misleading.

post inspired by Iron_Feline :)
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Before doing this, you probably maintained your weight on 2000+ calories a day. Meaning you could eat 2000 calories without gaining weight (and maybe even losing weight if you were maintaining a lot higher).

Now you have trained your body to be so efficient, it knows how to survive on 1200 calories or less a day. Eating that low for a long time means your body had to adapt to live on that... so less energy, slower heart, eating up pesky muscles that need more calories than fat does...

So now, say you go back to eating 1500 calories a day (something you would have lost weight at before)... what happens? Your body says, "hey - 300 extra calories! Wow, I dont really need it, so I will just hang onto that in case he doesnt bother eating tomorrow... " and you GAIN weight instead. You lowered your BMR!

So... unless 1200 is what you plan to eat at *forever*, that was kind of dumb. You could lose weight (pound a week) by burning 2500 calories a day (just by your size or by adding in exercise) and "only" eating 2000, or you could train your body to not need it and only burn 1500 calories a day and eat 1000 (for about a pound a week too). Wouldnt you rather eat the 2000 calories and not have to live on 1000 for life because you trained your body to not need it?

Eat as much as you can and still lose (a little) weight steadily. If you want to be a 175 pound 40 year old male (or whatever you age and goal are), then at the WORST you should be eating is whatever a 175 pound 40 year old male would be eating for his maintenance calories... 1200 calories is what a 90 pound 60 year old female would eat.... why are you trying to be that?!
This discussion has been closed.