How to count & not to trust.

Options
KazzBeDoinIt
KazzBeDoinIt Posts: 58 Member
:sad: Now if this isn't the most confusing thing ever!
I bought myself a pedometer. I try & walk for at least 2 hours a night or broken up during the day.
Seems a good way to burn off some calories.
I come home at the end of the day & log everything in here & check to see how I did.
For the first time (tonight) I checked what My Fitness Pal "said" next to what my pedometer "said."

This is what happened:

My Fitness Pal readings:
Walked 1 hour @ 2.5 leisurely pace
Calories burned: 372

My Pedometer reading:
Walked 1 hour
Steps taken: 3,006
Miles recorded: 1.423
Calories burned: 81.1

81.1 VS. 372 calories burned. Which is right & which is wrong? Huge difference.
How do I know how to count them & which one not to trust? :grumble:

Replies

• strawmama
    strawmama Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I'd trust the pedometer over MFP, every time. MFP is known to over-estimate calorie burns. I know that the 372 looks good, but the other is more likely closer to accurate.
  • fattygoosewing
    fattygoosewing Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    MFP is using the fact that you stated you walked 2.5mph in one hour so you would have walked 2.5 miles. But in fact you only walked 1.42 mile in that hour according to your pedometer. So You have either your pedometer set incorrectly or you actually only walked 1.42 miles. I think the answer will be somewhere in the middle. One more thought, I make it approximately 70cm per step, does that sound about right? Because I don't think the pedometer will have got the step count wrong. I have probably confused you. I personally prefer a HRM. Anyway keep up the exercise good luck.
  • FaithfulJewel
    FaithfulJewel Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Straight off... you walked at about 1.4mph... MFP says 2.5mph! (unless it's kph, at which point it would equate to 1.55mph)

So immediately halve what MFP is telling you, or find an entry that's more accurate at 1.25mph or something (better to underestimate).

There are websites out there that can work out, approximately (but more accurately than MFP, it seems) your calories burned gross, and then your calories burned net. When I walk to work (2.3miles) I burn around 375kcal gross, but around 305kcal net, so I just shove it into MFP at 300kcal and eat those back.

Is that any help at all? Being accurate with what you add to your diary counts for both food and exercise :)

EDIT: Got my maths the wrong way round

SECOND EDIT: Found the website link I use: http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/walking-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Under the "Exercise" tab, click on "My Exercises", then the "Create an Exercise" button. Name it walking, put in the information from the pedometer. You will be able to edit this exercise (time and calories) in the future. Trust the pedometer over MFP. The pedometer measured what you actually did, MFP is guesstimating based on general population stats and tends to be overgenerous with calories.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    1.423 miles per hour is very slow. were you walking very slowly? if not, have you adjusted your pedometer so it has your actual stride distance? that could help. on the other hand, the pedometers i've used tend to be wrong. i start walking, and once the pedometer starts registering steps (usually takes a few for it to do so), i walk 200 brisk steps and then check the pedometer. the one i'm now having replaced showed 129 steps one time and over 250 the next - which is why i'm replacing it ;-)
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this helps but for actual walks (where I go to and from someplace) I use my phone and an app called Endomondo. Tracks everything with GPS and pretty accurately.

I still find the calories it says I burned to be painfully over estimated, but that's sort of par for the course.

If you use the app, you can set it up to automatically put the sessions into MFP for you.
  • stratusphr
    stratusphr Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I do not trust MFP, I have a Fitbit, but I do not count exercise at all, I don't want MFP "adding" or "giving" me additional calories. I do not do anything so that I can eat more and feel better about it!!!
  • Mbierschbach
    Mbierschbach Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    1.42 mph is very very slow. I walk easily 4 mph. Yes that's a brisk pace but it's also something I can do at my lunch hour without coming back sweating like I ran.

You need to check that actual distance and barring any physical maladies - pick up the pace. At first I read 81 calories and thought, that's basically sedentary breathing and surviving calories. Well, taking an hour to walk 1.42 miles isn't much more than that. I'm not trying to be harsh, but to call it exercise your arms should be swinging and you should notice an increased heart rate.
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    And this is why I eat the calories allotted for the day and I do NOT eat back my burn! and guess what, once I decided to do it this way it started working for me to lose weight!
  • KazzBeDoinIt
    KazzBeDoinIt Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    :huh: Thank you all for the input. I figured the "miles" were off because of how far & the steps it tells me & hours walked but wasn't sure about the calories though. This is a NEW pedometer. I had used one last Summer. I would walk at least 10.000 steps on my walks & wouldn't stop until I was there. I did not wear it all day long. Only to count my "walks" in the evenings.
    *** I agree with others: I can NOT figure out why you would exercise in order to burn fat just to eat more. Be rewarded with food. How does that make sense? Oh right ... It doesn't.
  • Angelf2011
    Options
    Kazz -I asked a trainer/nutritionist I know for the answer.... Here you go. I know I was asking the same thing. Keep going strong!

You are right in saying if you don't eat back the calories you burn you will lose weight faster but you are also right in saying you should refuel. If you aren't eating appropriately after workouts your muscles won't repair or recover as fast which will leave you not being able to workout hard for your next workout.

So what do you do? You can eat only
    Your allotted calories for the day but you need to make sure you are eating a good source of simple carbs and protein after workouts. This will take care of the muscle recovery and give you a good calorie deficit.

I would eat around 1400-1500 calories on the days you exercise. So your food column should say 1400-1500. Your net will probably be around 1000-1200 which is perfectly fine.
  • JoshNorris79
    JoshNorris79 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    If you are walking on streets, remember your exact path and then after your walk, drive it. Set your trip odometer then you can take the distance you went, and compare it to the exact time you walked for. For my purposes, i decided to walk in my neighborhood for 30 minutes (i set a timer) away from my house, and then turn right around and come back. i figured that would give me a pretty good estimate of how fast i walk on average. do not trust to either the pedometer or the MFP, as they can both be misleading. I'd guess you more likely did 2.5 miles in an hour than 1.4, as that would be extremely slow.
  • JenniferIsLosingIt
    JenniferIsLosingIt Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Kazz -I asked a trainer/nutritionist I know for the answer.... Here you go. I know I was asking the same thing. Keep going strong!

You are right in saying if you don't eat back the calories you burn you will lose weight faster but you are also right in saying you should refuel. If you aren't eating appropriately after workouts your muscles won't repair or recover as fast which will leave you not being able to workout hard for your next workout.

So what do you do? You can eat only
    Your allotted calories for the day but you need to make sure you are eating a good source of simple carbs and protein after workouts. This will take care of the muscle recovery and give you a good calorie deficit.

I would eat around 1400-1500 calories on the days you exercise. So your food column should say 1400-1500. Your net will probably be around 1000-1200 which is perfectly fine.

Finally someone who says what I have been thinking all along that eating back your calories was just kind of dumb (not your exact words but still). I made a decision to stop eating abck all my calories a while back! And yeah 13 pounds in two weeks, Ill take that! I know its not sustainable but it will still continue to go down!:bigsmile:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    :huh: Thank you all for the input. I figured the "miles" were off because of how far & the steps it tells me & hours walked but wasn't sure about the calories though. This is a NEW pedometer. I had used one last Summer. I would walk at least 10.000 steps on my walks & wouldn't stop until I was there. I did not wear it all day long. Only to count my "walks" in the evenings.
    *** I agree with others: I can NOT figure out why you would exercise in order to burn fat just to eat more. Be rewarded with food. How does that make sense? Oh right ... It doesn't.

Well, it's not really meant to be "rewarded" with more food. In that thought, it would seem like undoing hard work.

It's meant to be to feed your body what it needs due to actually doing more work and expending more energy. Similar to if you drove your car further than a normal day, you'd put in more gas.

There are still goals to be considered it's not just eat all crazytimes but yeah, when you workout you have spent more energy and thus need to ingest more.

CAVEAT: unless all your workouts are already calculated into your MFP or TDEE cal goals.
  • andrewzadel
    andrewzadel Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    an easier way to measure distances for your walking and/or running is google maps, or mappedometer.com
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Options

It doesn't matter whether you eat back your exercise calories or not. What matters is, at the end of the day, after you account for everything you ate and everything you burned, how much of a deficit do you have?

If you set MFP to lose .5 pound a week (ie, a 500 calorie per day deficit), and then you use the MFP database to estimate your exercise burn (which tends to way overestimate), and then you eat back all of your exercise calories, and maybe go just a tiny bit over, then you could end up with a tiny (or non-existent) deficit. You won't lose weight that way.

However, if you set your calorie goal really low to begin with (as many people do), and then you do some intense workouts (because you're committed to your goals), don't eat back your exercise calories, and maybe come in a little under your goal (very committed!), you could end up with a very large deficit. You'll lose weight all right, but you'll lose muscle as well as fat, and you won't be giving your body what it needs to thrive and be healthy.

You have to come in somewhere in the middle. Either set your calorie goal high enough in the first place to account for the extra work of your exercise routines, while still being low enough to maintain a reasonable deficit, or set your calorie goal lower and eat back your exercise calories. I like to do the latter, because it makes me feel like I have more control day-to-day. Many people find the former to be easier or more encouraging. But really, it's just a preference.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    bump to save the links in the thread
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    This "exercise" shouldn't be counted anyway...it is already accounted for in your daily activity.

Unless this is purposeful exercise and not just walking around the office or your house...don't log it.

As for eating back exercise calories MFP already has a deficit set in your calories and you should eat back exercise calories to fuel your next workout.
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I have a FitBit and a heart rate monitor. When I walk the calories burned calculated for the two of them is very close. Usually within 20 calories. If I then take the average pace from the FitBit and plug it into MFP, MFP can be either high or low depending on how close the MFP speed is to my speed and how many hills there are on my route. For example if my pace was 3.1 mph I will use 3.0 mph in MFP, and most of my routes have hills, so that means MFP will under estimate my calories. However if my pace was 2.8 mph and I use the 3.0 mph number and it is one of my flatter routes, then the MFP calories might be a little high.

I have gotten to the point where I typically just let my FitBit capture walking activity and then it will sync over to MFP.
  • JoshNorris79
    JoshNorris79 Posts: 20 Member
    Options

If you set MFP to lose .5 pound a week (ie, a 500 calorie per day deficit), and then you use the MFP database to estimate your exercise burn (which tends to way overestimate), and then you eat back all of your exercise calories, and maybe go just a tiny bit over, then you could end up with a tiny (or non-existent) deficit. You won't lose weight that way.
    A lot of what you say is right, but pound of fat is about 3500 calories, so if you wanted to lose half a pound a week you'd need a 250 calorie deficit.