Could use some friends....

Options
Hi,

I'm pretty new to the site. So far I have zero friends, so it is not a lot different than real life :-). Just kidding. Anyway, I like to ride bikes and do triathlons. People always tell me that I am "lucky to be so thin" but little do they know that even though I exercise a LOT, I still have to watch what I eat or I will pack on the pounds quickly. I have some bad family history with overweight siblings and diabetes, so I am trying to avoid that. So I am here to keep track of what I eat, and also to hopefully beat back high blood pressure, which in spite of exercising and being thin, has been an issue with me for a long time.

Replies

• Ms_Clay
    Ms_Clay Posts: 17
    Options
    Welcome to MFP theres lots of caring and loving people here!!!
  • bka8
    bka8 Posts: 92
    Options
    I've been amazed at how friendly everyone is here on MFP no matter what your background is. I'm new here as well and am hoping to use this as a tool to really keep myself on track as I tend to lose my way. I also have family history of high blood pressure, diabetes as well as high cholesterol and obesity. Good luck with your endeavors! If you don't want to friend people, continue to post! Its awesome how quickly you get responses ;)
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Sorry dude, my mom says not to talk to strangers. LOL

Welcome
  • sherrywoody1
    Options
    Welcome to the site, you are going to love the people and the motivation/inspiration they will give you. Hope this helps you stay the weight your are!
  • rnroadrunner
    rnroadrunner Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    welcome and a friend request is sent out
  • JayneWilson1963
    JayneWilson1963 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. It's a great place to be. I joined on 7/4/2010 and have lost 61 pounds so far. I love this site and I know you will too. Feel free to add me as a friend, we can help motivate each other. Good luck on your weight loss journey.
  • polido54
    polido54 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hey welcome! This is the perfect site to track all your food. I have been impressed with it
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Welcome... I love this site. It's almost addictive. I am working hard to lose weight and get healthy. One of the eye openers for me has been how much sodium is in so many foods, including cheese, broths, canned veggies, etc. :noway: When I turned to more fresh alternatives I was able to have more control over my sodium, or pick and choose which foods are worth the added sodium. Recommended sodium is about 2,500mg, but I feel best in a range of 1,500 to 1,800.:happy:
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    this site is awesome, the food availability and the exercise availability to track everything really makes it seems real and what you are really eating and how much. The best part is the people. There are so many encouraging people that it makes it even better. Good luck to you and if you need a friend I am here.
  • mikegohl
    mikegohl Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm a swimmer. Feel free to add me.
  • eirelass
    Options
    Agreed! I'm a new member (3 days), too. The mobile tracker is super easy to use, addicting and kinda fun to use, and eye opening! I'm a super busy person, and often forget to take care of myself, skipping meals, etc. So I need something fast and functional, with up to the minute intake data.

I also have thyroid disease and just one, badly scarred kidney -- so I joined mostly to help track nutrition and water intake, which is critical for me! (And I could use to loose some weight, too) I knew I was not getting what I needed intake-wise, but to see it on the screen really hit home. After a few days of tracking, I was shocked that I was consistently dangerously low on my potassium intake (also important for my thyroid issue). So off I ran to the store to buy better, more nutritionally-dense food asap!

I mentioned the tracker to my husband in the grocery store, and BAM! he was downloading and entering today's meals just standing there in the middle of the store! He was a convert in seconds. And he is pumped about being to create and save his favorite exercises, too.

So ya, what I love already about this site and the mobile app, is that it does so much for so many different needs. Already MFP seems a natural part of my day. When my phone was low on battery last night, I sadly missed being able to enter my food right away :( And that's amazing to me. I'm telling everyone I know about MFP!!!
  • lilscuder
    lilscuder Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hi ~ You have just found the Best place to find the support, motivation, and inspiration ! It's really great to keep you in check and accountable for what we choose to put in our bodies, as well as burning the calories. I love the food diary. And the people here are just the best. !
  • knockout123
    Options
    I am new as well. Hello everyone. I am glad to be here as it means I am on my way to my fitness goals.

70 lbs to go!!!! WHOOT WHOOT!
  • kathiej13
    kathiej13 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I also am into biking and and hoping to one day ride in Iowa's RAGBRAI event. Having a job really limits being able to do that yet as it is a week long trek across Iowa and I would need a lot more training time than I can put in right now. My husbands family has diabetes and heart disease so I know where you are coming from in hoping to stave off any of these.Congradulations and keep up the great work.