Yes, 3000 calorie diets work!

Options
Quasita
Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
You see, because as long as your calorie intake level is a healthy one, you can make this happen. Do you.
It's not even something to be jealous of, when a person has a higher calorie goal. We all base our numbers on the bodies we currently have, and go from there. All levels work, if they are appropriate for the body in question.

However, just as people might say, they can't believe you can lose weight at any size eating as much as I do, meaning it wouldn't work for them... It follows that 1200, 1650, 6000, 900, whatever intake isn't going to work for everyone. A bunch of threads stating that a certain level works... well, it's pretty irrelevant in the end. For me, 1200 doesn't work, 1650 doesn't work... I have to eat at least 2800 calories right now if I want to see change happen.

So again I say, find your numbers, and do you. Make sure this is about YOU. Your body is yours, and you have to find what's going to work for you ;)

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I love the perspective you provide!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    It's not funny the third time.
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options

Well aren't you just a ray of sunshine? I don't think this one was meant to be funny, she mainly just has a good point.
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Its true.

In my case I can easily lose weight on 3000 calories. Just VERY slowly.

Some people only seem to have luck when eating a lot. For me, the less I eat the more I lose...which seems logical, since eating more only slows down my rate of loss.

Different people different methods.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options

The assumption made here is that I intended to be funny.

Since this is general weightloss help, and we've already had two lower diet goal posts, I figured we needed a little bit of perspective.

One of the biggest "mistakes" people make when they start out is assuming that a goal that worked for someone else is going to work for them too. Rather than taking the time to figure things out, they look for articles talking about the lowest "safe" calorie intake and look for forum posts to support that.

The debate happens every day, but the majority of the time, posters are not speaking up for the fact that you can eat a lot and lose weight. Especially in response to exceptionally heavy people like myself. The general consensus seems to be, you've got a lot to lose, so you can cut a lot, and almost always posted by someone that has never had to structure a diet for a body over 250lbs.
    The reality is, we're all of different sizes and nutritional needs, and the best and safest way to lose weight is the way tailored to YOU, and no one else.
  • annesoucy57
    Options
    Totally agree with your post, each have to figure the number of calories, according to gender, height, weight, age and activity level.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Now THAT is an assumption. :laugh:

copy_cat.jpg
  • scarrletti_girl
    scarrletti_girl Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    i agree i have a friend doing 1200 a day and she is gaining weight. i told her she is starving herself her body needs more calories because she just went straight from gaining 50lbs in 6 months to eating 1200 cals a day just like that nothing in between. i played around with how many calories i should eat and i am thinking of putting it up another 100cals a day because you never know how many cals your eating to gain all the weight you gained until you track it and then you should adjust it according to that.as long as its a satisfying deficit it should work especially with exercise.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Since this is general weightloss help, and we've already had two lower diet goal posts, I figured we needed a little bit of perspective.

One of the biggest "mistakes" people make when they start out is assuming that a goal that worked for someone else is going to work for them too. Rather than taking the time to figure things out, they look for articles talking about the lowest "safe" calorie intake and look for forum posts to support that.

The debate happens every day, but the majority of the time, posters are not speaking up for the fact that you can eat a lot and lose weight. Especially in response to exceptionally heavy people like myself. The general consensus seems to be, you've got a lot to lose, so you can cut a lot, and almost always posted by someone that has never had to structure a diet for a body over 250lbs.
    The reality is, we're all of different sizes and nutritional needs, and the best and safest way to lose weight is the way tailored to YOU, and no one else.

When I started I was 215 pounds and lost bunches at a 2100 calorie diet + exercise (I was getting about 2800 calories a day). I wouldn't have been able to sustain the weight loss if I'd tried to cut at a lower rate. I would have starved and binged.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options

Have you ever seen 'my 600 lbs life'? I never understood why they force them onto a 1000 calorie a day diet when a 2500 or even 3500 would probably be enough to make the scale go down.

however, i suppose these people's health problems are serrious enough that they are basically at deaths door wether they realize it or not. So maybe its that important for them to lose weight as quickly as possible.

But, if a renouned doctor is prescribing a 1000 calorie a day diet for someone who probably needs 4000 cals or more to sustain thier current body weight... I think that goes a long way to prove that the notion that someone will somehow break thier metabolism buy eating too few calories is pretty much bull****. the starvation mode thing is complete bull

Agree that there is a 'diet' or calorie level that will ultimately be more sustainable for someone and therefore be 'better'... but it really has nothing to do with being safe or unsafe.

obviously if your doing this when you DON"T have a lot of fat too lose then its unhealthy, unsafe.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    The debate happens every day, but the majority of the time, posters are not speaking up for the fact that you can eat a lot and lose weight. Especially in response to exceptionally heavy people like myself. The general consensus seems to be, you've got a lot to lose, so you can cut a lot, and almost always posted by someone that has never had to structure a diet for a body over 250lbs..

I'll bite at this one too because I feel like the opposite is true. Usually the message is "eat more to lose weight" and it's almost always posted by a guy/girl that wanted to go from a 4 pack to a 6 pack.

of beer?
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    i agree i have a friend doing 1200 a day and she is gaining weight.

somethings not right there unless shes like 4 ft tall
  • gotolam
    gotolam Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    i agree i have a friend doing 1200 a day and she is gaining weight. i told her she is starving herself her body needs more calories because she just went straight from gaining 50lbs in 6 months to eating 1200 cals a day just like that nothing in between. i played around with how many calories i should eat and i am thinking of putting it up another 100cals a day because you never know how many cals your eating to gain all the weight you gained until you track it and then you should adjust it according to that.as long as its a satisfying deficit it should work especially with exercise.

Your friend is gaining weight because she is either lying to you or to herself. Have her watch a show called Secret Eaters.

If she is remotely within standard averages, it is literally impossible for her to gain weight at 1200 calories and the last thing she needs to do is eat more.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options

Your friend should reevaluate her weight loss. Start over. She is doing something all wrong.

EDIT: I do agree with this post. I think it is different for everyone. Something that works for someone may not work for the other.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options

Your friend is gaining weight because she is either lying to you or to herself. Have her watch a show called Secret Eaters.

If she is remotely within standard averages, it is literally impossible for her to gain weight at 1200 calories and the last thing she needs to do is eat more.

i think the important thing to realize here is that its very easy to THINK your eating a certain amount of calories... but either through denial or carelessness or whatever, your actually eating a lot more.

time for food scale and measuring spoons for the woman one the 1200 cal diet...and agree that she should probably up her calories
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    3000 calorie intake works for me too. When I want to bulk.

you always have the most constructive comments.
  • ekmcdan
    ekmcdan Posts: 38
    Options
    Thank you OP. Out of the.. ahem.. "series" (sarcasm) of posts, this my favorite. It does depend on each person, really! I personally did the 1200cals/day thing for about a week because MFP suggested it for my goals. It wasn't TERRIBLE, but it was only a week and I was a bit hungry now and again. I'm sticking with doing 20% off of TDEE and seeing how it goes.