Just Dance 2 - A Breakdown

Options
Hey everyone! So I received Just Dance 2 as a Christmas present this year and absolutely fell in love with it. I have been dancing for the past 2 days with my Polar F6 HRM on and have seen some serious calorie burn each day! Here are my results so far:

Thursday - 460 calories for 58 minutes of play

Friday - 560 calories for 61 minutes of play

Here is a breakdown of each day:

- On Thursday I danced a few of the more difficult songs (Rockafeller Skank, Jump Jump, Jump in the Line, D.A.N.C.E, Iko Iko etc) but I also did several of the easier songs (Monster Mash, S.O.S, etc) as a cool down because I was so tired. It was a good workout, and I would have continued dancing if my 2 year old hadn't shut off the Wii!

- On Friday (today) I definitely danced some of the harder songs (including Katy Perry's "Firework" and all of the ones included above and then some). This means that I didn't dance as many of the slower/easier songs (though I still did Monster Mash, I love it!). Obviously I only danced for about 3 minutes (or roughly one song) longer, but it clearly helped to burn that extra 100 calories!

Here are some of my stats:

- I am a 22 year old female weighing roughly 135-140 pounds, depending on the day

- I wear workout pants and a tank top, and my house is not very warm (this could make a difference in the calorie burn, the hotter I get the more calories I burn!)

- I do not get all Perfect's on the moves. I'm pretty good and I do get mostly perfects on some of the songs, but I do still get the occasional Good's and Ok's.

- I copy EVERYTHING the dancer is doing, or at least I try to! I also try to "jump rope" or hop around a little bit in between songs.

- I do these routines in the Just Sweat mode.

I hope this breakdown helps anyone who might have been interested in purchasing the game or who just might have been curious about the calorie burn. If you like to dance, I recommend it!!!

Replies

• Silky815
    Silky815 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    WOW. Now I want to get the Dance stuff for my Wii. I also want to get the Zumba. I heard they both rock. Good job on your Dance. Keep going.
  • CuteMommy88
    CuteMommy88 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Dude I know!!!! I love Just Dance 2!!!! I can play forever!!! my bf has to yell at me to stop :) I have Zumba too!! it is pretty fun and im sure it burns more cals than Just Dance 2 but it is not nearly as fun!!! I am glad someone else loves this game as much as me :)
  • CuteMommy88
    Options
    oh and I am totally obsessed with getting 5 stars on every song!!! I am prettyclose :)
  • lexistepps
    lexistepps Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Amanda, I am totally the same way! I get obsessed and I have to get 5 stars on the songs lol
  • heather62803
    heather62803 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I'm loving Just Dance 2 - my kids and I have been doing it almost every day since Christmas (Some days the intensity is more than others though!) :) I usually log it under general dancing or group an estimated calories burned in with my Wii Fit workouts for the day, its nice to know it really is burning calories! I've heard Zumba for the Wii is pretty fun too, might check it out!!
  • butterflyfaerie
    butterflyfaerie Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I love using the dance games on consoles, and I really think some of the time, they burn more calories than the workout games do! I have Dance Central for XBox, and I easily burn off so many calories in workout mode, and it's fun too! I have a Wii too, so will have to seriously look into purchasing Just Dance 2 now!
  • lexistepps
    Options
    Oh they definitely do! This game blows my Wii Fit Plus right out of the water, especially for calorie burn!
  • CuteMommy88
    Options
    Oh they definitely do! This game blows my Wii Fit Plus right out of the water, especially for calorie burn!

I am so glad to hear that!!! Before I bought Just Dance 2 and I was debating between that and the wii fit....I went with Just Dance not only because it looked like more fun but it looked a lot cheaper too!!
  • lexistepps
    Options
    Here's today's breakdown of calories burned doing Just Dance 2 for Wii:

- Sunday - 538 calories burned for 60 minutes of play

My Polar F6 has also told me that 35% of what I burned was fat, though I'm not entirely sure how it would know that? Anyone who is an expert on the Polar F6 should tell me what this means lol
  • raechl
    raechl Posts: 6
    Options
    I too got Just Dance 2 for Chrismas-it tired me out today and it was only 45 minutes,but I burned like 350 calories!! I am going to do it everyday! And it is fun, because sometimes my 5 yr. old daughter joins me and I am not alone! I slacked off last year, and I am NOT starting this year like last! It you want to have fun AND work up a sweat- this game is for you!
  • ukredhead19
    Options
    Thanks so much for the breakdown...i've been doing Just Dance 2 as my workout all week and was wondering how close I was getting to estimate the calories, and i was doing pretty well!

I love love the game, and my 19-month old stands in front of me and dances around too...it so much fun. I think Zumba will be my next purchase to mix it up a little, but I still haven't even done all the songs on JD2!
  • pallasathina
    Options
    I was thinking about purchasing this, but I wasn't sure how much room you need to do the moves. Can anyone give me an estimate?
  • lexistepps
    Options
    I have a 10x10 square in my living room that I dance in, it's really NOT that much space and I only take up about 4 feet when I dance. You pretty much stand in one spot and do the dance moves, some of them require a little bit of footwork but it's not an outrageous movement that requires a ton of space :)
  • FORKDOWN
    FORKDOWN Posts: 1,754
    Options
    Thanks so much for the breakdown...i've been doing Just Dance 2 as my workout all week and was wondering how close I was getting to estimate the calories, and i was doing pretty well!

I love love the game, and my 19-month old stands in front of me and dances around too...it so much fun. I think Zumba will be my next purchase to mix it up a little, but I still haven't even done all the songs on JD2!

FYI they have a kids just dance. Its fun for the little ones.
  • pallasathina
    Options
    Thanks, Lexi! I think I may add this to my collection when I hit 5lbs loss.
  • lexistepps
    Options
    Here is my breakdown for Just Dance 2 for Monday and Tuesday:

- Monday - 445 calories burned for 55 minutes of play

- Tuesday - 526 calories burned for 62 minutes of play

I'm finding that I really enjoy Just Sweat mode as opposed to dancing the Non-stop Shuffle. I like to pick the songs I dance to and when I dance to them.

So far, I've lost a pound, I'm not sure if this is water weight or actual weight loss, but I will keep everyone posted!
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Hi Lexi. I was wondering about your Polar F6 HRM. Where did you purchase it from? I've bought two heart rate, pedometer watches and neither of them calculate my calories correctly. I did the xbox dance central for 45 minutes and one of them told me I had only burned 82 calories. Not even close I burned 207. Then the next time I did the your shape fitness evolved for an hour with both of them on and they didn't match. 1 said I had burned 142 calories and the other said I burned 111 calories. I actually burned 391. Weird huh.

I just don't want to waist money on something useless. Yours seem to be pretty accurate to the amount of time spent working out.
  • lexistepps
    Options
    I actually purchased mine through Amazon, but apparently the F6 model is discontinued? I'd definitely recommend the Polar HRMs though, I used this throughout my entire weight loss journey and it helped me to lose 50 pounds, not to mention it's nice to be as accurate as possible on your calories in/out!
  • fbophotomama
    Options
    How do you determine the amount of calories burned with JD 2? I have been using the 'danceing, areobic, ballet or modern twist' under cardiovascular and it gives me only 379 for 58 mins and 398 for 61 minutes. (going off the numbers in your first post)

I am just wondering if there is a way to specifically find out for each dance or something. Or am I missing something with in the game? I did the just sweat mode....but that is just how much you shake the controller, has nothing to do with how much your whole body moves or how good you do the dances.
  • lexistepps
    Options
    How do you determine the amount of calories burned with JD 2? I have been using the 'danceing, areobic, ballet or modern twist' under cardiovascular and it gives me only 379 for 58 mins and 398 for 61 minutes. (going off the numbers in your first post)

I am just wondering if there is a way to specifically find out for each dance or something. Or am I missing something with in the game? I did the just sweat mode....but that is just how much you shake the controller, has nothing to do with how much your whole body moves or how good you do the dances.

I actually wear a Polar F6 heart rate monitor, so I am able to track my calories that way :)