Extremely frustrated. Nothing is working.

Options
I've gained 4 pounds within the last week. I'm eating 1800-2000 calories a day. I did an hour of pilates for 2 days, and 90 minutes of hot yoga for 2 days, and ran 2 miles the other three days. Anybody have any idea whats going on with my body? I'm 5'11, 195 pounds (now 199 after this week).

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    One week is no indicator of whether or not you are losing fat which I assume is your goal. Fat loss measured by scale weight can easily be obscured by water retention on short time scales. Takes months to see a clear trend.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    How do you track your food? Determine your portion sizes and calorie counts?

And has it been JUST a week? As in you got started a week ago, with little activity before that? Or you've been doing this for a while and in the last week you're seeing odd results?
  • EriN1979
    EriN1979 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It looks like you started around the same time that I did. The first solid month was me saying the exact same thing... What the hell - I'm working my *kitten* off and seeing no results - only going up on the scale. Here's the thing, its finally started to come off. My body needed an extended adjustment period, so all I have to say is, keep your measurements, keep doing what you are doing...if you are religiously tracking your calories to ensure you are not over, then it will turn around.
    When your body is not used to exercise, it holds water around your muscles to ensure you won't hurt yourself. Once your muscles catch up, the water can be released and you will start to lose.

Don't give up! :smile:
  • jkfit2589
    jkfit2589 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    How do you track your food? Determine your portion sizes and calorie counts?

And has it been JUST a week? As in you got started a week ago, with little activity before that? Or you've been doing this for a while and in the last week you're seeing odd results?

I've been at this since Christmas. I was 199 at Christmas, dropped to 195 in a month, and gained back the 4 pounds this week. Nothing in my diet changed.
  • Fabfitgirl5
    Fabfitgirl5 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    If you are working your body hard, your muscles will retain water to help them mend. That will show on the scale. Give it time.
  • StaciMarie1974
    Options
    How do you know how many calories you consume? Do you use a food scale to weigh everything? If not then here's your issue, you're eating more than you think.
  • StaciMarie1974
    Options
    Open your food diary...
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    It looks like you started around the same time that I did. The first solid month was me saying the exact same thing... What the hell - I'm working my *kitten* off and seeing no results - only going up on the scale. Here's the thing, its finally started to come off. My body needed an extended adjustment period, so all I have to say is, keep your measurements, keep doing what you are doing...if you are religiously tracking your calories to ensure you are not over, then it will turn around.
    When your body is not used to exercise, it holds water around your muscles to ensure you won't hurt yourself. Once your muscles catch up, the water can be released and you will start to lose.

Don't give up! :smile:

The "adjustment period" is due to the fact that when you increase your activity level (as most people who start dieting typically do) your body will start to retain additional water for the purpose of glycogen storage and muscle repair. This water retention will raise your scale weight at the same time your fat loss lowers it and the result is no change in scale weight or your weight actually going up.

After 6 weeks or so if you are consistent your fat loss will eventually outpace the water retention and you will see the scale start to go down below where you started. Took me about 5 weeks before my weight changed when I started. You just have to keep at it.

Is it possible you are doing something "wrong" in your approach. Yeah, it is. But you can't tell yet, you have to give it a couple of months then ask that question.
  • cindygoodpaster
    Options
    Taking body measurements could be helpful because so much can affect the number on the scale. You could be gaining muscle and not fat or retaining water. Also weighing yourself at the same time of the day can make a big difference too. Trying watching the sodium in the foods you eat since that can make you retain water.

Adding plenty of vegetables into your diet and opting for homemade food over processed meals so you are getting fresher food with more nutrients your body needs.
  • Dvansanten
    Options
    Try to only record your weight, every 10 days
  • jkfit2589
    jkfit2589 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm cutting my calories to 1500. If this doesn't work, then I'm out of ideas.