Gym fears....

Options
So...I ate **** at the gym today..... Apparently those safety clips are there for a reason that I understand now on treadmills! I was doing my warm-up and I got sidetracked by a T.V to my right and apparently while watching said T.V. I started to walk that way... Well I ended up walking on the part of the treadmill that doesn't move, falling on my knees then almost started to crawl at the speed of the treadmill before I realized how ridiculous I look so I just fell off the back of it cause it wouldn't stop..... I took a second to shake it off and laugh as I get up saying to myself "that's why you pay attention on a treadmill!' There were quite a bit of morning gym goers there and even a lady using the treadmill directly behind me. NO ONE SAID ANYTHING! No one laughed, no one asked if I was okay....now I think that is probably a blessing but it sorta made me feel like those random strangers didn't care (sad face) Anyways...I'm okay and I got up and started my workout over and was able to complete it. I did get a fancy rug/treadmill burn on my left knee but nothing to serious. I took some ibuprophen for the little bit of pain I was feeling when I got home but I forsee a full recovery! Moral of the story...If you are afraid or anxious about going to the gym...don't be...cause people really don't pay attention to you....even when you eat **** on a treadmill :-) HAPPY FRIDAY!

Replies

• Chickee8586
    Chickee8586 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I am laughing here at my desk where nobody can hear me laugh.

I was in a gym one day in the cardio cinema. Basically, it's dark, has a big movie screen and lots of cardio machines. I was on a treadmill at the back and a guy came in. He went to step on an elliptical machine, but didn't bring the pedals down to the bottom of the machine before putting his weight on it. It started to move, he fell over the machine and as I'm walking on the treadmill, I dip my head and smile. I don't laugh out loud, I just keep it to myself.

So yes, people in the gym do pay attention, but we just don't acknowledge that we've seen it so it doesn't mortify the person who slipped up. We just wait till we get home and post it on Facebook.

You will be the new viral on Facebook. Happy Friday! :tongue:
  • DevSanchez
    DevSanchez Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    ^ LOVE THIS! ...not that you ate **** at the gym but the moral of the story.
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Someone probably saw you were okay and immediately pretended they didn't to save you the embarrassment.
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Chickee - I was a gym-goer for years before I got my own gym at home - I think I've seen EVERYTHING - people falling off of every type of cardio machine, people dropping weights - from experience - unless you have direct view of said person - or this person makes a LOT of noise going down - it's all 'business as usual'!

Most people at the gym are pretty serious about doing what they're doing - getting their burn, making sure their form is right - my husband used to joke that Brad Pitt could stroll through my gym naked and I probably wouldn't have noticed (sad but true)!

Those of us that do view a fall may smile - but then it's back to business - and by tomorrow we've pretty much forgotten the entire thing!

Power on!
  • itodd4019
    itodd4019 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    used to work out at the gym alot and have totally eaten it on a treadmill one time before they had the safety stop clip

another good fail is doing flies on a stability ball and having it get away from you - -ha ha the clanging dumbells and all

Good for you and yoiur attitude.

Too bad for the peeps at the gym, you'd be a good friend to have
  • cindygoodpaster
    Options
    I usually try to avoid the treadmill because I have crap coordination and it tends to hurt my knee. BUT one day the gym was packed and they only cardio equipment open was a treadmill so I dared. Of course I was the chubby chic in a sea of what looked like Olympic runners so I jogged (or fast walked however you want to label it :tongue: ) until I stepped too far forward and stumbled. It took all my upper body strength to keep myself upright on the treadmill and I felt like a j@ckass. :blushing: So of course I decided to try going faster. Yea it didn't work out for me I stepped to far to the side and was on the edge of the belt. I almost ate treadmill twice in about three minutes. I could see people watching. Luckily not laughing but I couldn't help it. I was laughing so hard I had to get off. (Which was probably the safest thing for me at that point.)

I think everyone has a humiliating moment or two at the gym. Whether its falling, almost falling, passing wind because you're straining or stretching. It happens.

I used to always be self conscious to go to the gym now I just roll with it. (Except I learned my lesson with the treadmill I stick with walking or using a different piece of equipment!)

I think its good to share the embarrassing stories
  • iPlatano
    iPlatano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I am laughing here at my desk where nobody can hear me laugh.

I was in a gym one day in the cardio cinema. Basically, it's dark, has a big movie screen and lots of cardio machines. I was on a treadmill at the back and a guy came in. He went to step on an elliptical machine, but didn't bring the pedals down to the bottom of the machine before putting his weight on it. It started to move, he fell over the machine and as I'm walking on the treadmill, I dip my head and smile. I don't laugh out loud, I just keep it to myself.

So yes, people in the gym do pay attention, but we just don't acknowledge that we've seen it so it doesn't mortify the person who slipped up. We just wait till we get home and post it on Facebook.

You will be the new viral on Facebook. Happy Friday! :tongue:

Not everyone thinks like you.

Nobody cares what you do in the gym or maybe the minority do.
  • claudineer
    claudineer Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I used to work at a gym. I have seen all these stories. I have even seen the one where a woman dislocated her thumb on the swiss ball. I like to eat apples during my warm up and while watching TV. I started laughing really hard due to a funny commercial. I lost my balance and fell off the treadmill. However, I was still laughing. If you are still laughing (or in my case rolling with laughter), it's all good.

The best part is that you had a good day and will be okay.

Much hugs,
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I've seen everything at the gym. People falling off cardio machines. People who wear really crazy outfits. People who use the machines not in the way they were intended. People having extended private conversations on the cellphone. Once I saw a woman wearing wedges walking on the treadmill. No one stares or laughs.. Honestly I think 90% of them aren't even aware. They're in the zone listening to their music and doing their workout. The few that notice don't say anything to spare the person embarassment.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'm more concerned no one asked if you were okay!!!

I mean- I'd laugh for sure- but then I'd ask if you were okay.

Being said- glad you are okay- totally LOLING at the idea of crawling on the treadmill. lol- so amusing.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    :heart: :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • vixx1405
    vixx1405 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    One of the first times i went to the gym i asked my friend how to make the treadmill go faster to which she said just hold that button (pointing to the big up button) so, I hold it down an don't let go next thing Im doing a roadrunner impression an flying of the back of the thing much to my friends amusement. lets say i learnt not to do that again!! I dont think anyone else noticed, well if they did no one said anything.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    we have all face planted or other similair **** at the gym

This. Mine was getting stuck under a barbell on my last set of a bench press pyramid. Had 135 on it, which for me is not much weight at all. Let's say I overestimated my ability to make one more rep. Fortunately a helpful young lady was there to help me out.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    This is exactly why I can't watch the tv while on the treadmill, especially sports. It screws up my pace and I stumble.

Glad you're ok though and that you got back on the horse! :smile:
  • OliviaCounts
    OliviaCounts Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    well if I'd been there I would have asked if you were okay! Great job completing your workout despite that unfortunate experience :)
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    lol, ahem. sorry for the laugh. I really hope you are alright! A fall to the knees, ouchie!

Just another reason why I usually cycle or elliptical myself.

I work at an all ladies gym, I've seen it all. Down to the new fashion trend by the octogenarians; camel toe in the leggings. on purpose! ewww! I can't even hang out on the floor, run away!
  • Odiliawine
    Odiliawine Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I've never fallen, but LORDY nothing makes me fart like the elliptical machine. I don't know what it is but it just jiggles out the gas CONSTANTLY. Nothing is more embarrasing then letting one loose and having a handsome stranger decide to use the machine next to you....:embarassed:
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    haha - yeah nobody probably asked to save you from embarassment if you looked like you were OK.

I can tell you this is exactly why I methodically will touch the treadmill bar in the center of the treadmill when I'm running where the TV is not on the machine but maybe up to the left or right. Otherwise, I lose my balance all the time and step too far to one side or another. By touching the middle of the machine every time I know I'm right in the middle of it

Glad you're OK and shook it off :)
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Umm One day at my school gym I was watching a guy bench press. like five months ago he was only doing 205x1. Nw he did 225X7. I was glad for him getting so strong. he put on 275 and barely got it up once. I was like his workout is done. I process to put on 315. I knew He was gonna fail. He asked for no spotter. I watched him unrack lower to his chest and get stuck immediately he looked up to see what I was doing. I was already running to him to help. We put it back on racks and I said don't worry man you will get it next time. I also tore my pectoral at the gym with a spotter. I have no gym fears whatsoever.