Question - the pill & weight loss

Options
So this may be a silly question...

I have been on the pill for YEARS!! And i really have no need to be on it at the moment... so i was considering going off it.
I know that one side effect of the pill is weight gain.
So by going off it i am presuming, it could help with weight loss? But then again, i have been on it for so long, it may take a while for my body to adjust to not being on it...

I was wondering if anyone had gone off the pill when starting their weight loss journey? And if you can tell me how it affected you?

Replies

• ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on you. When I stopped using birth control, I really slowed down, especially during TOM. I'm actually going to the doctor tomorrow to get back on it! Some people, though, do gain weight when they start taking the pill.
  • Ssminey79
    Ssminey79 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I was on the pill for over 10 years and when I started MFP quickly lost about 3 lbs-this was the exact same time I went off the pill. However, I am not doing so well now :/
  • wonrob
    wonrob Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    It depends per individual. When taking the pill, some people gain weight, and others lose weight.

If you feel that you don't need to be taking it, stop taking it. Just don't expect to lose weight from coming off of it, cause you may or may not.
  • orangejellybean
    orangejellybean Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks heaps for your replies!
    I will see what happens, but as most of you have said... it might not make a difference, depending on how my body reacts.

Thanks again :)
  • NatalieBrooke88
    NatalieBrooke88 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    My gynecologist actually told me that there have been multiple studies on the pill and weight gain. However, the results were that there was not a significant difference between the placebo group and the experimental group. FYI