Any success stories without weighing food

Options
1235»

Replies

• kirtschneider
    Options
    I started weighing or measuring all my food but then over time I'm better at guessing with an occasional spot check using a scales. I'm right on track with my goals. My problem was that I got distracted last year, stopped tracking my foods and stopped exercising and I gained half of my original weight back. So I've lost 10 pounds twice and another 10 pounds that stayed off.
  • DucklingtoSwan
    DucklingtoSwan Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh food on a scale much though I do use measuring cups and spoons when the need arises. I had more success that way. My simple rule is that basically I can eat whatever I want IF I know exactly how much I am eating and what the nutritional story is (and logging everything, even if I make a wrong turn). Especially in the begging, I stuck to a lot of pre-packaged stuff just for the convenience. (I do allow myself pretty much unlimited green veggies like beans, broccoli, spinach etc and if I'm having fruit I just stick to the basics like i orange or 1 banana, 1 apple etc.)

I only use the actual scale when necessary, which for me isn't that often. But measuring has helped me very much, and I am much better at eyeballing serving sizes for the things I eat regularly, and am getting pretty good at eyeballing food in restaurants if it isn't something likely to be in the MFP database already.

I know the OP is in the wind but I'm lad this turned up; hopefully it will help someone, I personally found a lot of the answers very insightful.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 20 lbs without weighing, although I did still measure.

Weighing isn't strictly necessarily. However it can be extremely helpful. My advice is to try it your way and see how it goes. Reevaluate later if needed.

The reason many people suggest it, especially at first, is that studies show that non-dieticians underestimate by over 400 calories, dieticians by over 200.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12396160
  • nancyluckhurst3
    nancyluckhurst3 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I measure but don't weigh. When it comes to meat/fish portions can come pretty close to 4 oz just by the way I package my meat/fish/poultry when I put it in the freezer. I buy 10 lbs of lean ground beef and put it in 10 equal sized packages in the freezer. 1/4 is very close to the 4 oz serving. But usually I do enough exercise in the day that it is not a real issue as I usually way under my calorie goal for the day.
    I have been reading A LOT of posts on MFP lately and was wondering if there are any success stories of members who didn't weigh their food. I realize there are many who do and swear by it, but for me it just seems a little obsessive. I suppose if it seems that it is absolutely necessary then I could start but.......

I have quite a bit of weight to lose (shooting for about 75 pounds but probably should lose 100) and have heard that the weighing of food is good if you have a smaller amount to lose or you have hit a plateau. I have lost approximately 17 pounds since middle of October but I believe most of this is because I have cut out soda and tried to be more cognizant of what I am eating. I am also trying to walk at least 45 minutes a day, but most of the time getting at least 60 minutes. I tend to eat the same things daily, like salad (cheese, lettuce, tomatoes), eggs, bacon, English muffin, sometimes grilled chicken breast, hamburger, steak, sometimes baked potatoes (which I love). I also eat lean cuisine meals at work for dinner. I am a very picky eater as far as taste and have a limited "pantry" as which to pick from or I will just give up. I keep a paper food journal but have been keeping my calories between 1300-1500 daily for the most part (uhhh...except for Christmas). I originally was trying to keep it below 1200 but realized after reading numerous posts that this is too low.

Thanks for any responses.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I didn't see success until I started weighing and measuring. However, I learned what these weighed and measured portions look like and can now eyeball it. It's a good learning experience. I recommend weighing and measuring until you're comfortable with knowing what a portion looks and feels like. :)

That's me too.... I was dead set against weighing my food but I only lost 8# in 7 months until I started weighing everything... now the weight is just falling off. I was apparently grossly under-estimating my portions.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    The longest prep time I have for any meal I make is 15 minutes *without* weighing anything. If I weigh everything, it takes 15 minutes and 30 seconds. That doesn't strike me as particularly onerous or obsessive, considering the valuable information it gives me.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I will measure by way of cups/spoons. Weight Watcher sells great 1/2 cup and 1 cup measuring spoons. I lost mine in moves but may go buy more because they are quite helpful. I bought a food scale on the cheap and rarely use it right now, someday I may.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I became aware of portions and did a little bit of measuring with measuring cups etc early on but I do not own a scale. I use estimates such as the below that I saw at
    http://caloriecount.about.com/article/when_you_cant_measure_estimate_portions

The Grain Group
    1/2 cooked cup rice ---- tennis ball
    1 pancake (1 ounce or 5") ---- compact disc (CD)
    1 piece of cornbread (2 ounces) ---- bar of soap
    1 slice of bread (1 ounce) ---- audiocassette tape
    1 cup of pasta/spaghetti (2 ounces) ---- a fist
    1 cup of cereal flakes (1 ounce) ---- a fist

The Vegetable Group
    1 cup green salad ---- baseball or a fist
    1 medium baked potato (1 cup) ---- computer mouse or a fist
    1/2 cup cooked broccoli ---- light bulb
    1/2 cup serving ---- 6 asparagus spears; 7 or 8 baby carrots; 1 ear of corn on the cob

The Fruit Group
    1/2 cup of grapes (15 grapes) ---- light bulb
    1/2 cup of fresh fruit ---- 7 cotton balls
    1 medium size fruit ---- tennis ball or a fist
    1 cup of cut-up fruit ---- baseball or a fist
    1/4 cup raisins ---- large egg

The Milk Group
    1 1/2 ounces hard cheese ---- 9-volt battery or your index and middle fingers
    1 ounce of processed cheese ---- your thumb
    1 cup of ice cream ---- baseball

The Meat and Beans Group
    2 tablespoons peanut butter (= 2 oz. meat) ---- ping-pong ball
    1 teaspoon peanut butter (= 1/3 oz. meat) ---- fingertip
    1 tablespoon peanut butter (= 1 oz. meat) ---- thumb tip
    3 ounces grilled/baked fish or chicken ---- checkbook
    3 ounces cooked meat, fish, poultry ---- your palm, a deck or cards or a cassette tape

Read more: When You Can't Measure, Estimate Portions http://caloriecount.about.com/article/when_you_cant_measure_estimate_portions#ixzz2xOskoQc4

It is not perfect but a good estimate...it has worked for me but I think I likely underestimated my daily activity..ie I determined my calorie goals stating that I am lightly active and then I added exercise..well I am the mom to 4 busy kids and I teach and am on my feet ALL day and I walk ALL over our huge school...since I move more than I accounted for the possible calorie overages don't cause any issues.
  • bigbelly54
    Options
    I don't weigh any thing and have lost 46 pounds, 38 before mfp. Just changed my diet and started to exercise. Reading some of these success stories helped motivate me .I exercise 90 minutes a day, 7 days a week, all cardio. Good luck!
  • 40DayFit
    40DayFit Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    bump
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    I weigh and measure to educate myself on what an appropriate serving size is. I was shocked to find out that what I considered a "normal" portion of spaghetti was actually more than twice of the recommended serving size and thus more than twice the calories. I also learned that 2 oz of sliced ham is actually more than I would have "eyeballed."

It's a tool that I have started using but I expect that once I get used to the "serving size" I'll eventually be able to eyeball it with a fair amount of accuracy.

Not watching what I ate - not paying attention to portion sizes - is what got me here. Obviously in order to reverse that - I need to do the opposite - pay attention to portion sizes.

When it comes to fresh veggies and fruits, I don't really worry about it - I do measure/weight meats, pasta, potatoes, processed foods.
  • Gerald_King
    Gerald_King Posts: 2,031 Member
    Options
    I haven't weighed my food and I've lost 120lbs
  • traynorj82
    traynorj82 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I have lost 100 pounds with out using more then a measuring cup. Even then it is for more high calorie foods such as rice. I just try my best to stick to portion sizes, get enough sleep and maintain a positive outlook on life.

Best of luck,
    Jen
  • magicgirl18
    magicgirl18 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Any tips on how to quickly weigh or measure food?? I don't have the free time to do that all the time. And how do I get that weight loss ticker??
  • naechai40416
    naechai40416 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Any tips on how to quickly weigh or measure food?? I don't have the free time to do that all the time. And how do I get that weight loss ticker??

Concerning your weight loss question...

I think eyeballing is realistic once you have an idea of how much something is going to be...

My wife and I found weighing portions a little easier and less time consuming actually using the scale though. Say for instance we by deli slices of turkey breast, and to keep it at the calorie serving that was recommended, we would have to 'guesstimate' how much was in the package and divide it into the portion sizes.

We recently bought a food scale, which was less that $15 w/tax I think...and if whether it be ham, or chips, or broccoli anything that has it's calories displayed in ounces I just put it on there and go. Before my wife would count chips and separate them into bags. This was not practical by any stretch.
  • amandarawr06
    amandarawr06 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I have lost almost 50lbs without weighing my food. But I do use measuring cups when it is a food I don't eat on a daily basis.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!