Hanging my head in shame!

Options
tlb1175
tlb1175 Posts: 17 Member
I started tracking my foods back in April & then quit because I kinda got the hang of it & usually I was always under my 1200 calories. I decided to start back just because a couple of days ago & boy am I glad I did. I normally would never order anything fried but kinda did not have a choice today (hubby & son was dead set on Raising Canes) so I decided to get a kids meal. I have not cheated at all since I started my journey back in April & today when I logged in my meal I almost cried when I saw those calories! This may be a stupid question to some, but since I only have like 33 calories left for today do I just not eat anything for diner?... not that I will be really hungry then anyway.

Replies

• AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Depends on if you're hungry or not. If you're not, no harm in skipping it. If you are, try to find something light and filling. Either way, going over your calories one day isn't gonna hurt your progress!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would probably eat a light dinner and do better tomorrow.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Eat a light dinner and go for a walk after!
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    1. There's nothing to feel guilty about.
    2. One meal is not going to make or break you.
    3. You did a kid's meal. Maybe more calories than you feel it was worth but you didn't go for the huge meal.
    4. Eat a light dinner.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    You only have 10 lbs to lose. Why in the world are you only eating 1200 calories? Of course you should eat dinner! Even if you ran short with 1600, I wouldn't punish myself for one potentially badly planned day. Nobody is perfect, we all have good or bad days.

Read this if you get a chance!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    You only have 10 lbs to lose. Why in the world are you only eating 1200 calories? Of course you should eat dinner! Even if you ran short with 1600, I wouldn't punish myself for one potentially badly planned day. Nobody is perfect, we all have good or bad days.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

My thoughts exactly.

OP, even if you eat a light dinner, you'll probably still be in a small but sensible deficit.

Do yourself a favor though, and increase your calorie goal.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Eat a light dinner and go for a walk after!

this
  • tlb1175
    Options
    I thought that was weird also being I only weighed 140 when I started this & then when I put in the 10lbs I lost I thought it might recalculate but I did not. That is what it told me so that is what I have been going by. I have not been hungry at all really so I figured it knew more than me!
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options

All of this^^
  • sharyntg
    sharyntg Posts: 33
    Options
    When I was cutting weight I used to eat lots of pickles! Get the sodium free ones and they're zero calories. They fill you up. Also I'd eat mushrooms. Another super low cal,food just to stave off hunger. I lost weight fast.
  • AmyJo527
    AmyJo527 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I would go work out and eat a reasonable dinner. No reason to skip or feel ashamed!
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I thought that was weird also being I only weighed 140 when I started this & then when I put in the 10lbs I lost I thought it might recalculate but I did not. That is what it told me so that is what I have been going by. I have not been hungry at all really so I figured it knew more than me!

A lot of people figure that, but they figure wrong.

MFP is quite notorious for setting calorie goals FAR too low, regardless of height and weight. For example, it told me to eat 1200, and my BMR (the bare amount of calories I need to LIVE) is 1280. And I am extremely tiny, only 5 feet. So unless you are smaller than me, or bedridden, it is almost a CERTAINTY that you are eating too little. (This can result in lean muscle loss, chronic fatigue, metabolism damage, bingeing due to over-restriction, and never any wiggle-room for a treat, as you have already figured out for yourself from going out with your family.)

Go to

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

and enter your height/weight/activity level.

Subtract 10-20% from the number it calculates for you, and that is the number of calories you should be eating a day in order to lose weight. With this method you do not eat back your exercise calories, as they are already figured into your daily goal.
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    Just burn that much extra tomorrow.
  • tlb1175
    Options

MFP is quite notorious for setting calorie goals FAR too low, regardless of height and weight. For example, it told me to eat 1200, and my BMR (the bare amount of calories I need to LIVE) is 1280. And I am extremely tiny, only 5 feet. So unless you are smaller than me, or bedridden, it is almost a CERTAINTY that you are eating too little. (This can result in lean muscle loss, chronic fatigue, metabolism damage, bingeing due to over-restriction, and never any wiggle-room for a treat, as you have already figured out for yourself from going out with your family.)

Go to

Subtract 10-20% from the number it calculates for you, and that is the number of calories you should be eating a day in order to lose weight. With this method you do not eat back your exercise calories, as they are already figured into your daily goal.

Thanks, I have been meaning to check my BMR. Since I have been eating such few calories for the last two months it will be a challenge for me to eat more now. I will feel like I am cheating :(
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    10 pounds to GW and you're intentionally eating less than 1200 daily?

I'd be more concerned about that than if you decide whether or not to have dinner on one particular day.

ETA:
    I will feel like I am cheating :(

You also need to work on this. This isn't a food issue, it's a mental/emotional issue. Meet this head on before it later becomes a more serious problem.
  • SugaryLynx
    Options

Go to

Thanks, I have been meaning to check my BMR. Since I have been eating such few calories for the last two months it will be a challenge for me to eat more now. I will feel like I am cheating :(

Food guilt has to stop. There's nothing wrong with appropriately fueling your body
  • tlb1175
    Options

Thanks! Great read!
  • SugaryLynx
    Options

Thanks! Great read!

:flowerforyou: That single link and all the helpful info in it was truly the turning point for me.
  • tlb1175
    Options
    10 pounds to GW and you're intentionally eating less than 1200 daily?

I'd be more concerned about that than if you decide whether or not to have dinner on one particular day.

ETA:
    I will feel like I am cheating :(

You also need to work on this. This isn't a food issue, it's a mental/emotional issue. Meet this head on before it later becomes a more serious problem.

Thank you for the concern but, I promise I do not have a eating disorder or anything like that! I am just having a little trouble dealing with the fact that I always was able to eat what I wanted, when I wanted, never exercise but I was/am very active & never gained weight much even when I was a prego until I hit 37 & boy did all that change.... I know I sound like a little whinny spoiled brat. LOL!!!
  • bigmamabird
    bigmamabird Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Try to cut yourself some slack. Becoming healthy isn't about "being perfect" on any diet or exercise program. It's making healthy lifestyle habits and putting them into action. I would absolutely call what you did at the restaurant a healthy lifestyle change. Rather than ordering a gigantic portion, you ordered a more sensible child sized portion. And rather than blindly eating it you are aware of calories, fat, protein and such.

You ARE making good changes.