Calories all that matters?

1200 Calorie-limit. Are calories really all that matters? For example, if I wanted to eat 1200 calories-worth of Burger King burgers, or cookies, would I still lose weight? I'm completely new to all of this.

Replies

• susielou22
    susielou22 Posts: 6 Member
    Yes. But 1200 calories isn't really that much when it's all unhealthy food, so you would end up still hungry and probably go over that limit. It is better to eat a balanced diet, try and hit your macros. Also I don't know your weight and height, but 1200 calories may be too little for you.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Calories are what matter for weight loss.

Macros and micros affect health, performance, sustainability, body composition, etc.

Fast food and cookies are fine if they fit into your goals.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Calories are what matter for weight loss.

Macros and micros affect health, performance, sustainability, body composition, etc.

Fast food and cookies are fine if they fit into your goals.

QFT
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    1200 Calorie-limit. Are calories really all that matters? For example, if I wanted to eat 1200 calories-worth of Burger King burgers, or cookies, would I still lose weight? I'm completely new to all of this.

You'd lose weight but you wouldn't be healthy.

Calories are all that matter for weight loss, but not for health.

Honestly it is not very easy if even possible to be healthy only eating 1200 calories.
  • This is a really good article that sheds some light on the calorie question. http://time.com/2809007/eat-less-exercise-more-isnt-the-answer-for-weight-loss/
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member

Yes - you will lose weight. Now if your goals are to be healthier & look better, then this is not the right strategy.

1200 is MFP's lowest default minimum. It may be appropriate for your size, or not. Not eating enough will help you lose fat+muscle....as opposed to mostly fat. Losing muscle is not a fit look......it looks good on the scale.

With only 1200 to work with (even when appropriate) it's really difficult to get the proper nutrition. You need protein to help hang onto healthy muscle, you need fat to help digest vitamins (and much more) .....eating well is key to staying healthy.

Can you have fast food sometimes? Sure.....lots of people here go by a philosophy.....if it fits your macros. Try to eat well (fit your macros)....but also do what's sustainable. I eat chocolate and I eat ice cream.....they just make up a smaller portion of my diet.
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    I was just thinking about this earlier. 1200 calories is a little more than two Big Macs. Imagine eating nothing but two Big Macs all day. Every day. For the rest of your life. Yes, you would probably lose weight, but you would also be tired, and hungry, and cranky. You would not be healthy, and you would feel like crap, and you would quickly give up.

Much better to eat a larger volume of healthier food. Not only will you be giving your body the vitamins and minerals you need to be healthy, but you will be fuller since you'll be eating eat more.
  • mw55432
    mw55432 Posts: 3 Member
    I let myfitnesspal calculate the 1200 for me automatically. I'm 5'2" and weigh 149lbs. I just started about a week ago.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    I let myfitnesspal calculate the 1200 for me automatically. I'm 5'2" and weigh 149lbs. I just started about a week ago.

Yes, but you supplied...."I want to lose XX pounds per week." When your weekly goal is high....your daily limit is low.

Here's a list of moderate weekly goals

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

Also plan on some exercise....and eat (at least) 50% of those calories too.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member

MFP is just a calculator. It doesn't supply you with anything other than a number based on numbers you gave it.

It is like if you got a math problem wrong and blamed the calculator for giving you the wrong answer. It gives you the answer that it gives you based on what YOU tell it, no more no less. It is your responsibility to use the tool correctly.

Don't place so much faith into it that you think anything it spits back at you is automatically valid.
  • mw55432
    mw55432 Posts: 3 Member
    I don't know how to respond to individual posts on here yet, so I'm going to just write all of my responses as one. I'm not placing blame, just explaining where I got the 1200 calories from. I am new to this as I've only recently become overweight.

I've started walking every night for about 50 minutes, for exercise. Again, I have to start somewhere.
    Thank you to the user that supplied the article link. and for all of the suggestions. :)

I haven't had fast food since I've started myfitnesspal, but it was definitely the majority of what I ate beforehand.